Non-OEM alternative wheels/tire options

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Curious if anyone has their eyes on non-OEM wheel/tire combos and, if so, what are they?

My R1T is currently configured with 20" Rivian ATs, but I think these will probably only be the "right" setup for about 5-6 months: great during ski season and driving through snow; and great for (occasional) "summer" adventures. But if I were to take a long roadtrip -- I've got friends and family scattered all over from Texas to Colorado to California -- or if I'm just tooling around the city, I'd probably prefer a more efficient, hwy-friendly setup (e.g. the stock 21"s).

In my case, it could make sense to have a set of the Rivian 21"s sitting on my garage shelf until I need them, but maybe there are some non-OEMs out there that could also do a pretty good job as a "summer" setup? (I presume of course that whatever is being considered meets the requirements of an EV with tons of horsepower.)

Alternatively, for those ordering a Rivian from the factory with "summer" road/sport tires, are you considering any non-OEM setups to serve as your "winter" wheel/tire? (Same caveat applies: these would need to be appropriate for an EV like a Rivian.)

Maybe 100% OEM is the way to go on both sets, given all the engineering behind them? While there have been countless threads on here about which Rivian wheel/tire to get, I haven't seen a lot of chatter about non-OEM options so figured it was worth pondering...
Sponsored

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
I'm interested in this too. Going total bro mobile with 22" for looks and performance, but also getting offroad upgrade. Would like to have a set of 20" off road for winter/offroad but dont want the look/noise/range on a daily application. I'd consider ordering from Rivian if it was $1800 or $3500 but I highly doubt.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
My preorder currently specs the 22" package, and I will purchase a winter wheel/tire combo for snow season. I would prefer to get a set of the 20" OEM wheels, but that will probably not be possible, or if so, very expensive. My normal wheel/tire sources, TireRack, DiscountTire, etc. still do not have packages available for Rivian, so I have been looking for packages based on other heavy pickups (Ram 2500/3500 etc.) and there are several options. You could start there to get a rough idea of looks/pricing.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I'm planning on the standard 21" wheels with the Pirellis for day-to-day stuff, but I'll get an aftermarket set of 20" wheels with full mud-terrains to swap as needed. I've had all-terrains in the past, and they just don't get the job done for me. It gets sloppy/muddy here regularly and all-terrains just get gummed up and spin all four tires (locked).

Looking at 275/65R20 tires, the lightest mud tire (with adequate load range) I've found is the Firestone M/T2 at 57lbs. That's a far cry from the 38 lbs of the OEM street Pirelli, and 48 lbs of the OEM all-terrain Pirelli, so range will take a big hit. Pirelli has done a good job keeping the AT tires light as the next competitors I could find were 55-57 lbs each.

For wheels, it looks like we've got the 5x5.5" bolt pattern, the same as a Dodge Ram, so I'm hoping offsets are similar and hub bores work so that we have an easy source for wheels. Again, I'll be looking for light and strong, not typically found in the heavy truck world.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Any information on R1x rotor diameters, front and rear? I saw the picture of the Rivian/Brembo caliper on the other forum, and based on the 5x5.5" bolt pattern, it scales to be a 15" rotor. Assuming a 15" rotor, a 19" wheel might be possible, but an 18" wheel is highly unlikely to fit. 19" tires are a rare breed in the off-road world, so it looks like I'll stick with a 20" wheel for my more beastly tires.

Last edited:

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
Curious if anyone has their eyes on non-OEM wheel/tire combos and, if so, what are they?

My R1T is currently configured with 20" Rivian ATs, but I think these will probably only be the "right" setup for about 5-6 months: great during ski season and driving through snow; and great for (occasional) "summer" adventures. But if I were to take a long roadtrip -- I've got friends and family scattered all over from Texas to Colorado to California -- or if I'm just tooling around the city, I'd probably prefer a more efficient, hwy-friendly setup (e.g. the stock 21"s).

In my case, it could make sense to have a set of the Rivian 21"s sitting on my garage shelf until I need them, but maybe there are some non-OEMs out there that could also do a pretty good job as a "summer" setup? (I presume of course that whatever is being considered meets the requirements of an EV with tons of horsepower.)

Alternatively, for those ordering a Rivian from the factory with "summer" road/sport tires, are you considering any non-OEM setups to serve as your "winter" wheel/tire? (Same caveat applies: these would need to be appropriate for an EV like a Rivian.)

Maybe 100% OEM is the way to go on both sets, given all the engineering behind them? While there have been countless threads on here about which Rivian wheel/tire to get, I haven't seen a lot of chatter about non-OEM options so figured it was worth pondering...
Excellent new thread for me, thanks…

I too will need at least a 2nd wheelset. Configured the R1T with the OEM 21” package and spare. For winter I need a dedicated snow tire. I’m okay with the OEM 20” rim..but no real word yet if Rivian will allow us to order a set of 4 (or 5) of the rims only (maybe I missed updated infos) and at what cost (rims only).
So..really interested in appropriate after market rims.

Brian Goodwin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Six Miatas, Fiat 124, Dakota V8, Ridgeline
Occupation
Fun Car Parts
Watching this thread. Thinking I start with included wheels and add something 22 inch fun for custom look later.

Has anyone yet spotted stock offset data?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Has anyone yet spotted stock offset data?
someone at the first drove events ought to read the stamped info in the barrel of the spare wheel. Curious who the supplier is too

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I'm looking at having two sets also - winter set/summer set. Biggest thing to keep in mind is the high weight of the R1T. Make sure whatever wheels/tires you get are rated for the GVWR of the truck. I have read in the past that many aftermarket wheels are not nearly as strong as OEM wheels.

Sponsored

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I had the 20's configured originally. After I did the math I switched to the 21's. Might as well take the free set and pay for the after market wheel/tire combo you really want. I want to fit more aggressive tread tires and much better looking wheels. I also removed the spare tire. Ill just use one of the 21's as a spare tire.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I'm looking at having two sets also - winter set/summer set. Biggest thing to keep in mind is the high weight of the R1T. Make sure whatever wheels/tires you get are rated for the GVWR of the truck. I have read in the past that many aftermarket wheels are not nearly as strong as OEM wheels.
This doubly true for off reading vehicles, where the weight of the vehicle may be carried by 3 or even 2 wheels at a given time. This makes finding replacement non-OEM wheels for heavy ORVs very difficult. Case in point, Land Rover and BMW have the same bolt pattern for their large SUVs, but Land Rover wheels are rated for almost 2x the load.

Other complications are the wheel offset and bead profile.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist

Get the 21" rims for free, then buy the winter wheels with the $ you save. Makes more sense than paying twice.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
On the load rating... GVWR is 8,532. It looks like Rivian's OEM tires will be 116 rating, so 2,756 lbs per tire. That's 8,268 for 3 or 11,024 for 4.

Just looking at Tire Rack's selection of tires, everything in the 275/65R20 size is rated higher than the OEM Pirellis, but you may have to pay attention to speed ratings--although I think all of them are rated for at least legal highway speeds.

In the also somewhat common 275/60R20 size, every single one is 114 load rating or higher--half or more are 115. Those should all handle the full GVWR perfectly fine with weight on all 4 tires, but you're losing some additional margin if you're on 3 wheels while off-roading.