Sponsored

macb00kemdanno

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+. 2023 Tesla Model Y LR
On the side of the rear window?? Follow the gate line up where the glass is and you'll see that there is a frame around the glass inside the opening line.
Yeah, I see that. but the fact that you can see daylight instead of the darkened interior of the vehicle lead me to believe that we were looking at the cutout under the spoiler. Or I'm probably just overanalyzing like I always do :CWL:

Rivian R1T R1S New R2 photo (fifth teaser) img_8327-jpe
Sponsored

Dantzig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
On the side of the rear window?? Follow the gate line up where the glass is and you'll see that there is a frame around the glass inside the opening line.
The "frame around the glass" seems to be molded plastic to give the appearance (when combined with the rear spoiler) that the vehicle has an upright liftgate, both disguising the curvature of the rear window glass (think a much less dramatic Wagoneer S). Seems to be a compromise to get better aero (like Model Y et al.) while emulating the appearance of a boxy SUV (like R1S).

It's difficult to say how well the illusion will work until the full reveal. I know I don't love it on the Wagoneer S.

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Last edited:

Sponsored

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

I'm hoping R2 has its own, standing out, unique character without being too similar to R1 ...
Same, so far looks like mini R1S to me...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Tailgate window rolls down...
I'm hoping for the rear tailgate to be a houdini tailgate like the Fisker Pear.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

So which of our great accessory suppliers is going to start selling a 'D2' badge first?

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Same, so far looks like mini R1S to me...
Same. R1S body but 20% shorter and no 3rd row seating. Add spoiler design from R1T and boom, you get the R2. That’s my guess.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

Same. R1S body but 20% shorter and no 3rd row seating. Add spoiler design from R1T and boom, you get the R2. That’s my guess.
This seems accurate. But then that begs the question of how are they going to achieve that and still be under the $50k price point? Smaller battery alone won't do it? They need to cut like $30k+ cost out of the R1. This seems too similar to the R1 to accomplish that.

If the R2 is not under $50k (really needs to be closer to $40k), then Rivian is going to have some serious issues. The market (and stock) is expecting this to be very affordable. If they miss that mark, I feel that the stock will take another huge hit and the company may not even survive to see the R2 hit the roads.

Sponsored

Activist_Investor

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subarus
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It's nice. I like how visible the curve is to the rear wheel well. Looks better than the new EV Volvos which is helpful. Looks just as good but not as stylish as the Polestar SUV (to me). Hopefully it's not too conservative in styling and feature-set.

All in all I see it as a contender EV SUV along side the Scout and Jeep. Not cool or progressive enough to make me financially whole on my sizable Rivian stock position with a cost basis of 18. This is not a company fighting for EV number two spot in the US. This is a play it safe, conservative, all-terrain EV SUV fighting for production of over 150k a year.

RJ needs to set a more aggressive production date of second quarter of 2025. Even if they miss the deadline they still start production six months earlier than they would have otherwise. As of right now there is a public perception of the Rivian leadership lacking any and all urgency in the production of the R2. Shoot for the stars and land on the moon by setting a 2nd quarter 2025 deadline for production. The deadline should loom in the minds of all the executives and management each day. That will create real urgency and result in timely production. Humans are not entirely rational beings. Aggressive deadlines are a simple optimization of human behavior. Also, when the leadership team is old and wise with years they will look back on their time at Rivian as urgent; with cause and purpose and all the satisfaction and fulfillment that goes along with it. Type II fun and happiness hurts. Get after it RJ.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
This seems accurate. But then that begs the question of how are they going to achieve that and still be under the $50k price point? Smaller battery alone won't do it? They need to cut like $30k+ cost out of the R1. This seems too similar to the R1 to accomplish that.

If the R2 is not under $50k (really needs to be closer to $40k), then Rivian is going to have some serious issues. The market (and stock) is expecting this to be very affordable. If they miss that mark, I feel that the stock will take another huge hit and the company may not even survive to see the R2 hit the roads.
My above post was just about body style. Below are my old predictions about the R2 overall:

• One battery size only (at least to start) ~ 325 Mile Range
  • FWD single motor: $49,999 (0-60 of 5.5 sec)
  • AWD Dual motor: $57,999 (0-60 of 4.5 sec)
  • AWD Dual Performance: $62,999 (0-60 of 4.0 sec)
  • Smaller stadium lights, thinner light bar across the front
  • No air suspension option
  • Multiple off-road models to pick from (like Bronco) that will increase tire size, clearance, "ruggedness" etc
  • No truck at launch, just R2S
  • Whole boatload of planned accessories, but we'll see if they ever materialize
    • Custom frunk fridge
    • Built-in Winch

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
Given there in a new trim level coming out for the R1's, I would think some cost savings will be had with a rugged cloth interior, maybe a washable vinyl floor covering? I am sure the wood and trick layered door panels will be gone, accent lighting part of a package. No speaker optional flashlight and compressor, and a more basic sound system with an upgrade available. LFP batteries across entire line, along with the single and dual motor options.

CA gets a large share of EV's, and most are fine with 2wd options. Saw a lot of Tesla out there recently missing the dual motor badge at least in So Cal. I would like to see regional packages like many MFG's do like cold and warm weather climate packages. Simple package upgrades like Honda/Acura, not all the individual stuff like Big 3 that slows down production.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

What are the chances they’re just trolling us with cropped pics of the R1S? ;)
Sponsored