Michal

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
L322
Hello everyone,
I have been following the forum for 3 years. Finally I am at a point where I am able to obtain a R1T demo. However, I am having a dilemma. Based on my reading here, I see that some of the owners with lower VINs recommend avoiding the cars due to ongoing issues. On the other hand some members advise that the higher VINs during the production ramp up are victims of poor quality assurance. Is there a range of VINs I should avoid?
Also, the configurations are practically identical, yet Im seeing a $68K/7300miles vs $71K/9400 Where are those disparities coming from, condition or just different markets? I appreciate everyone's input and advice, this is a big decision for me

Best
Michael

VIN: 7FCTGAAL4NN0008XX
Price: $68,000
Mileage: 7300
Trim: Launch Edition package
Exterior: El Cap Granite
Interior: Black Mountain and Dark Ash Wood
Wheels: 20" All Terrain
Battery: Large battery pack
Powered Tonneau Cover

VIN: 7FCTGAALXNN0015XX
Price: $71,503
Mileage: 9400
Wheels: 20" All Terrain Dark
Powered Tonneau Cover

VIN: 7FCTGAAA8NN013XXX
Price: $71,648
Mileage: 9100
Interior: Forest Edge and Brown Ash Wood
Powered Tonneau Cover
  • Price: $72,600 plus taxes and fees
  • Pick Up Location: Denver, CO
  • Est Mileage: 6,700
  • VIN: 7FCTGAAL3NN0017XX
  • Model: R1T
  • Trim: Launch Edition
  • Motor: Quad-Motor AWD
  • Battery: Large battery pack
  • Exterior: Forest Green
  • Interior: Black Mountain + Dark Ash Wood
  • Wheels: 20" All Terrain Dark
  • Powered Tonneau: Yes
  • Reinforced Underbody Shield
Sponsored

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

It's probably due to condition. Paint chips, ripped stitching, interior scratches. I would check the edges of doors and gear tunnel doors, common to have paint chips there.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Except for the one with FE interior those are some pretty early VINs, even earlier then mine I have had for two years but anyone's guess about which VINs will be better quality is giving just that.

Some with early VINs have had limited problems, I have had quite a few suspension problems but I don't think that is due to when it was produced.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
My guess is the pricing is mostly due to condition. Some might have more wear depending on what that demo was used for.

Are those models for sale 2022s or 2023s? Either way it's a great deal IMO. If I were in your shoes, shopping for a demo I would not worry as much about the VIN since Rivian has owned it and maintained it, likely fixing any of the issues that may have come up during those times they were struggling more with QC. Plus, it has a warranty and if you find something off you can ask them to fix it.

beyond

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Occupation
The Cloud
As an owner of a 3000 vin level quad motor R1T; i can say it's not without it's quirks... But we also get some features later ones don't (power in the frunk, power under the dash, meridian sound system to name a few).

Thankfully Rivian has been great about replacing pieces with newer ones that have been redone. For example the new "gas" pedal is the latest swap they did on mine. However, I also had things like everything from the front motor out to the wheels replaced and the front suspension system.

Will I keep it past the warranty? Probably not, I'm planning on trading it in that last year for a new R1T.

By far my favorite vehicle I've ever owned; well worth the growing pains. The biggest question for me in 2 years will be... Do I get a Quad again (if they're still sold) or go for a dual performance to maximize the range.

Sponsored

fyton2v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RRS, FJ40, F150, MY
Sorry for not directly answering your question and just throwing my opinion out there. The leasing deals for a new R1T in the Rivian Shop are a very attractive option, even if you can afford to purchase one outright. All income levels have access to the fed EV tax credit, and you get to have an R1 with less downstream risk from: hard to know reliability issues, resale value, or just a change of heart.

I intend to lease one this summer, then do a new purchase after a few years when Rivian has a lot more miles behind them. I'd get one now, but I'd be replacing my F150 that I need to use to haul horses over 700 miles in June. ICE vehicle for the win there. But it's a very rare event for me, so after the long haul, I wouldn't see myself doing it again.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Early VINS could have the welded subframe which had some problems. Later on they moved to cast subframes. I have heard of a few folks getting them swapped out.

OP
OP

Michal

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
L322
Thank you everyone, @240vPlug, do you know when in the VIN sequence that design change happened?

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Yeah, the Black Mountain interior VINs are all *SUPER* early. But if they were demo vehicles, one would assume any early-production-issues would have been found and fixed by now in them.

One big thing to be aware of - those will all be considered "used" as far as the federal tax credit is concerned. And they're all within spitting distance of the price of a Dual Motor Standard Range Plus, which has basically the same range. Unless one of them is the *exact* config you would want, and you think you would really make use of the extra capabilities of the quad-motor, you might want to get an SR+ brand new instead.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
It's a great deal. Look it over and buy and enjoy it.

My [uninformed] guess is these are likely being sold because a refresh is in the works...and Demo's will be v 1.1.

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

OP
OP

Michal

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
L322
Thank you for useful feedback everyone.
I narrowed it down to these two::

• Price: $72,600 plus taxes and fees
  • Pick Up Location: Denver, CO
  • Est Mileage: 6,700
  • VIN: 7FCTGAAL3NN0017XX
  • Model: R1T
  • Trim: Launch Edition
  • Motor: Quad-Motor AWD
  • Battery: Large battery pack
  • Exterior: Forest Green
  • Interior: Black Mountain + Dark Ash Wood
  • Wheels: 20" All Terrain Dark
  • Powered Tonneau: Yes
  • Reinforced Underbody Shield
VIN: 7FCTGAAL4NN0008XX
Price: $68,000
Mileage: 7300
Powered Tonneau Cover
Underbody Shield

I love both green and El Cap. EL Cap seems to be the "reasonable" choice but the dark wheels on Green look so much better. My only hesitation here, is it worth the 4K price difference? I could get a whole PPF package for that much
Rivian R1T R1S New member in need of advice on R1T demo purchase 1711025310732-45

Rivian R1T R1S New member in need of advice on R1T demo purchase 1711025269594-ji

Last edited:

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

The underbody shield makes a big difference for me but that only is $2k or so.

Like fingernails on a chalkboard, scraping your unprotected undercarriage on gravel is unnerving.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I wouldn’t worry too much if it’s a demo vehicle. Mostly, the QC type stuff was small components that were inoperable when shipped. Or maybe some misaligned body parts.

I had an air-compressor that didn’t work, an overfilled AC system, and a broken Bluetooth module.

These are the types of things that would have already been noticed and fixed in a demo vehicle. I list these things as poor QC as opposed to long term reliability issues.

Inspect the vehicle thoroughly for minor damage from being a demo vehicle and make sure everything works. But I wouldn’t worry beyond this.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Early VINS could have the welded subframe which had some problems. Later on they moved to cast subframes. I have heard of a few folks getting them swapped out.
This wouldn't bother me. They have a long warranty and if one has a problem it gets swapped for a cast subframe.
Sponsored