First Name
charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kona EV, Sprinter Bambi conversion
Occupation
retrired
Driving from Santa Barbara to Mammoth I charged twice at RAN chargers, when I arrived I was notified my credit card thought it was a fraudulent charge, I notified them it was not (apparently Rivian gave me 2 free charges) on the way back tried all 3 chargers at the olancha RAN, 2 different credit cards and talked with Rivian Service and they were not able to do anything and said I should try the Inyokern chargers, made it there and still could not charge. It is likely an accounting issue and are not able to remove the block from my account and seem not able to resolve the issue. Any recommendations for a solution as it will be very difficult for me to drive back to Mammoth without RAN chargers, I made it home by using a very slow charge point charger that took me 3 hours to get a 140 miles of range
Sponsored

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Ya, this sounds like it is a bank issue, not a Rivian issue.

Hi from SB, by the way!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
So you tried the same card for each attempted charge? It most likely is an issue with the credit card company. I've only charged at RAN once since we had to pay and it was seamless just like before. It sent me an email after the session with a summary, receipt.

OP
OP

cmugler

First Name
charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retrired
yes I tried 3 different cards with no success

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
yes I tried 3 different cards with no success
That is odd. I wonder if doing a reset on your Rivian would also reset the payment initiation and allow it to start fresh.

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I had an experience on getting credit card denial on RAN and the problem was an expired card was the "default". It was fixed by changing the current card to "default".

Coming from the payment world... Rivian is more likely using only one link to get credit card and one link to get debit card approvals. For any reasons that Rivian doesn't get an approval, Rivian will deny the transaction. It is more likely your bank denied the transactions.

Go online to see if those transactions got denied. If you see them, it is your cc banks. If you don't see them, it is more likely those transactions didn't get to the bank; that could be the network problem (Visa or Mastercard...) or Rivian's problem. However, if you are the only person that is getting denial, it is more likely not a Rivian problem.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
We’re all 3 cards from the same bank? Maybe try using one from a different bank.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Did you remove the other cards from your account? I just keep one card on my account and if I change it I delete the old one.

OP
OP

cmugler

First Name
charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retrired
I always deleted the other card before adding a new one and they were from different banks so likely a Rivian problem

Sponsored

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I always deleted the other card before adding a new one and they were from different banks so likely a Rivian problem
Sometimes when you add a card, there is a validation process and could not be used right away.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I had an experience on getting credit card denial on RAN and the problem was an expired card was the "default". It was fixed by changing the current card to "default".

Coming from the payment world... Rivian is more likely using only one link to get credit card and one link to get debit card approvals. For any reasons that Rivian doesn't get an approval, Rivian will deny the transaction. It is more likely your bank denied the transactions.

Go online to see if those transactions got denied. If you see them, it is your cc banks. If you don't see them, it is more likely those transactions didn't get to the bank; that could be the network problem (Visa or Mastercard...) or Rivian's problem. However, if you are the only person that is getting denial, it is more likely not a Rivian problem.
Multiple denials will probably result in your Rivian account refusing to allow further payments to even process. Likely not something very common so I wouldn't be surprised if Rivian support doesn't have the tools to help in that situation yet.

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Multiple denials will probably result in your Rivian account refusing to allow further payments to even process. Likely not something very common so I wouldn't be surprised if Rivian support doesn't have the tools to help in that situation yet.
Agreed! As a relatively new company, Rivian probably doesn't have a customer service team that handles credit card approval process.

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
I had a similar issue and the service advisor had me.

1) disconnect cable from the pedestal
2) delete the existing card from the account
3) add the new card to the account
4) restart the app

Plug back in and try in initiate charging (I used the app but other have said I could have just plugged in).

Hopefully something like this works for you.

OP
OP

cmugler

First Name
charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retrired
that exactly what they advised me to do but it did not work