Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Lol if that was your takeaway...

https://media.ford.com/content/ford.../04/26/production-begins-f-150-lightning.html

I'm just poking fun at how easy this info is to find and verify, and suggesting to fellow Internet strangers that maybe they can/should do it for themselves rather than relying on other Internet strangers.
Thanks, I missed that article. 2 million EVs by 2026 is an impressive goal. Clearly looks like they are focusing on EV production.
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

That is an accomplishment for sure. But are you saying producing 25k vehicles at a staggeringly high negative gross margin is a good example of "pretty good business acumen?
Do you know of a way to start a new manufacturing process in very large quantities without a "staggeringly high" negative gross margin? Material, labor, facilities are all staggeringly expensive when you first start and can't sell in volumes that offset those costs with sales.

OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Do you know of a way to start a new manufacturing process in very large quantities without a "staggeringly high" negative gross margin? Material, labor, facilities are all staggeringly expensive when you first start and can't sell in volumes that offset those costs with sales.
As a contractor we do it hundreds of times a year. It's in the doing, fabrication, assembly that you'll find real genius. Putting the financing and plans together all happen before the work starts. Execution is everything.

In my instance so far my truck has impressed me. The build quality, ride, features all rate in the top range for any manufacturer. But the transparence and communications at RIVIAN aren't at the top of the range and the stock price reflects it.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I have R1T and Lightning reservations as well. They each have pro’s and con’s.

I am dying to know the root cause as to why Ford is stacking brand new Lightnings like cordwood around the assembly plant.

Sponsored

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Well I'll be interested in hearing yours and other owner feedback once the Lightning starts to get delivered. I am probably going to put in a reservation for the Ford. I have one for the chev too. I just want to hedge my bets since my Rivian won't likely be available for another year +/-.

I like the idea that the Lightning and Chevy are from a legacy manufacturer, so there will be a lot of advantages they have in manufacturing and assembly line processes.

The flip side is that my current F-150 has been dismal in the amount of major repairs post-warranty and still has annoying issues.
The other hesitancy is I don't relish the idea of getting a full sized pick-up again. I like the Rivian truck's footprint.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Stock price has nothing to do with communications acumen. No serious stock holder cares anything about how well the company communicates.

The idea that Rivian should have been able to instantly produce multiple times their current production targets, with perfect communication, with perfect quality, while turning a profit during the most uncertain economic times of the modern era is absolutely laughable.

When any of us here have IPO'd a company we started for 70 billion (regardless of the current stock valuation, which is due to a combination of factors within and without Rivian's control) then I think that person should come here and tell us all why Rivian is wrong.

Until then, nobody here has done anything comparable. I don't care what industry you are in or how many products you've launched, you've not bootstrapped a major automotive manufacturer from you and your garage to 70 billion. Only one other company has done that in the modern era, and they weren't profitable for years, had (and still have) massive quality issues, and also have incredibly shitty communications from the ordering process all the way down to the service process.

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer
Stock price has nothing to do with communications acumen. No serious stock holder cares anything about how well the company communicates.
??

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
What you quoted was pretty self-explanatory. None of Rivian's stock movement has had anything to do with how well they are communicating to end customers. The only shareholders that care about that are the ones with reservations.

Case in point, what's Tesla's valuation? They are, as I mentioned, no better at comms now or historically 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Well, one of these white ones might be mine..

https://insideevs.com/news/584672/ford-f150-lightning-stockpile-supply-constraints/

It will be interesting to see if Ford is able to use it's vendor relationships to perform above or below the levels of Rivian from a supply constraint perspective. If Ford can actually ship close to the 75k units this calendar year (my interpretation of the 150k increased production goal information) that would be an accomplishment. I have my doubts but am hopeful Rivian and Ford will overcome the supply constraints.

If Rivian meets their 25k units this year consider Ford was only able to produce a couple thousand more Mach E's in 2021...

https://insideevs.com/news/558927/us-ford-mache-sales-2021/

Sponsored

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
I have R1T and Lightning reservations as well. They each have pro’s and con’s.

I am dying to know the root cause as to why Ford is stacking brand new Lightnings like cordwood around the assembly plant.
With GMC right now its a lack of drivers/truckers to make deliveries, very competitive right now and they are only willing to drive to certain locales where they get top $ back home or round trip.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The current ICE F150’s drive great. I have had 2 as company vehicles in the last 4-years. They are so comfortable and easy to drive that a grandmother would feel at home behind the wheel.

My company recently put me into a 2022 Dodge Ram 1500 Classic. I don’t care for it and miss my 2020 Ford F150. I can see why the Ford is the #1 selling full size truck In America.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Possibly but I do not think the initial ones are the cheaper work truck.

Similarly equipped they are very close in price.
Even then, you really can't get them similarly equipped. Mainly from the suspension and power output the Rivian is far beyond the Ford.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
How much over MSRP did you have to pay to get the dealer to prioritize your slot?
Personally mine is $0 over.

OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
And based on the F150 Lightning forums, Ford is holding and not shipping them. Speculation around chip shortages is thought to be the reasoning.

It will be interesting to compare in actual #’s delivered at the end of June.
Sponsored