Sponsored

My Lightning is Built

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Even then, you really can't get them similarly equipped. Mainly from the suspension and power output the Rivian is far beyond the Ford.
Not for everyone... R1T front end can't handle a snow plow. This is why I switched my order to the R1S. I'll use the Lightning to replace my current F-150 hybrid.

The R1S will be a replacement for a GLS assuming Rivian starts building more than 25 vehicles a day.
Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5

Chas60422

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback
Occupation
Healthcare
I also wonder if Ford is holding onto the Lightening for software updates. Maybe they found out the current software has a major issue that will affect the performance of the truck. So much is hanging on the balance for the lightening to be perfect. The hardware maybe great but if the OS sucks, the whole product sucks

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

Do you know of a way to start a new manufacturing process in very large quantities without a "staggeringly high" negative gross margin? Material, labor, facilities are all staggeringly expensive when you first start and can't sell in volumes that offset those costs with sales.
This isn't a new manufacturing process, its using most of the same components in the body, frame and interior that ford already uses in the f-150, Chevy is the one that is going with a completely new manufacturing process for their silverado EV. So in reality Ford shouldn't be having staggering high negative gross margins on these lightnings, but they will, also they probably wont show how much they are actually losing on the lightnings, they will probably report the truck segment as a whole to not show how much more they are losing than they originally expected to.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

It's not because of the chip shortage. Ford reserved chips for the launch.
LOL, reminds me of the Operations Resrach class I took in the mid ‘80s where the instructor used an example where some widgets shipped with “1.5 more transistors” than necessary.😝

Maybe Ford reserved subsystems, etc. for the Lightning. But I wish this notion of assembly line workers sprinkling these mystical “chips” into cars as they move down the line would end.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Personally mine is $0 over.
same here.

You guys are some of the lucky few, in my area they wanted almost $40k down just to be on the "priority" list and $10k for their regular list, and were asking around $20-$30k for their dealer markup, in fact they wouldn't even give us a total until we put a $10k down, non-refundable deposit. with mach-e gt they wouldnt even tell us if the deposits were refundable or not. after having such a great experience with buying and receiving my R1T, i dont think I will ever deal with another dealer again.

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
This isn't a new manufacturing process, its using most of the same components in the body, frame and interior that ford already uses in the f-150, Chevy is the one that is going with a completely new manufacturing process for their silverado EV. So in reality Ford shouldn't be having staggering high negative gross margins on these lightnings, but they will, also they probably wont show how much they are actually losing on the lightnings, they will probably report the truck segment as a whole to not show how much more they are losing than they originally expected to.
They were referring to Rivian. Interesting that your misreading of the comment chain led to wildly baseless speculation about Ford losing money on Lightnings and misreporting numbers to hide it.

Last edited:

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
I also wonder if Ford is holding onto the Lightening for software updates. Maybe they found out the current software has a major issue that will affect the performance of the truck. So much is hanging on the balance for the lightening to be perfect. The hardware maybe great but if the OS sucks, the whole product sucks
There are many reason for newly built vehicles to be held at the plant. For new production vehicles, the initial hold is because Ford doesn't ship them until the initial production batch gets "Okay to Buy" after additional quality control checks. After that, they'll sometimes accumulate at the factory due to individual or class-wide hardware QC issues, shipping/logistics issues, and now during the current chip crisis while awaiting chips for post production install. Initial batch production rarely gets held up for software issues because most of the bugs that slip through testing/production approval won't become apparent until vehicles are in the hands of customers.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

They were referring to Rivian. Interesting that your misreading of the comment chain led to wildly baseless speculation about Ford losing money on Lightnings and misreporting numbers to hide it. People really do love to sharing opinions on the internet about things they know nothing about.
My mistake on misreading the comment, For the record, I didn't accuse Ford of misreporting numbers, they just don't break down profits by trim levels or sub-models, not until mid 2023 that is. Then will they be reporting profits by segments, I.C.E. , EV's, etc.... For the time being F-150's will be all under one segment, so we'll only get average profits, which of course we will see down compared to other similar years of sales. And for the as far as my speculation being baseless, I guess you can say that as my contactS will never admit it on record, I'll just have to wait till the family gets together for the 4th to get some updates. and same way you say "People really do love to sharing opinions on the internet about things they know nothing about." you kinda just did the same about my comments.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
You guys are some of the lucky few, in my area they wanted almost $40k down just to be on the "priority" list and $10k for their regular list, and were asking around $20-$30k for their dealer markup, in fact they wouldn't even give us a total until we put a $10k down, non-refundable deposit. with mach-e gt they wouldnt even tell us if the deposits were refundable or not. after having such a great experience with buying and receiving my R1T, i dont think I will ever deal with another dealer again.
When I was in the market last year and bought my hybrid F-150 local (Las Vegas) dealers had 5k or more mark-ups on most trucks but not the Powerboost. The whole market adjustment situation has gotten out of hand for many vehicles. I had an idiot neighbor who paid a 50k market adjustment for a G-63 mobster mobile.

When I reserved my Lightning the local dealer here in small town USA contacted me and indicated no market adjustment will be added.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Ditto. My XLT Lightning will be sold to me at MSRP.

A smooth Lightning launch is most likely tied to executive compensation.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
My Lightning just joined the built club. Modules popped tonight. Probably get the spray in bedliner done over the next couple days then it'll sit in the lot until Ford finishes doing whatever it is they are waiting for.

OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
My Ford Lightning arrived today 👍🏽

Still waiting for my registration and plate for my R1T though. The state dmv was holding it up, asked for updated insurance info because they took so long to process it the expiration date came and went.

My R1T will be up for sale on Monday. Hate to get rid of it but I will ride the Ford train until my R1S arrives or I’m considering switching my order to a R1T to take delivery sooner than 2023
Sponsored