First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Tesla Y / '22 R1S / Harley Ultra
Occupation
Engineer
Great idea OP...took the plunge. Used Metallic permanent markers and cleaned up with Goo Gone.
The metallic is more of 'paint-like' than marker. So far so good.

Rivian R1T R1S My Key Fob Mod RivianFOB
Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

That's pretty nice. I may give that a try.

Brian

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Agreed, but it's also too damn big.
And the spring sucks. I set my bag down and the momentum opens the clasp and has fallen off at work....

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Here is mine today. I have not done anything with it since the initial, except I added my house key right after the painting. As you can tell from the worn off anodizing, it has taken a beating and still works the same with the tactile nature of the UV glue ridges.

Rivian R1T R1S My Key Fob Mod Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 12.19.26 PM

Sponsored

RivLiam

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Honestly coming from the Polestar 2 I thought their key was boxy, hideous and less than useful (essentially the Volvo default).....BUT at least it comes with a little water/crush/drop proof "activity key" that is all I ever carried. The size of a USB.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I just saw this available on Amazon. Has anyone ordered this yet? I'll probably order it once my vehicle gets closer to deliver (4ish weeks). I prefer FOBs and not PAAK or keycard (I'll use that as backup).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C3TB6J2X

Rivian R1T R1S My Key Fob Mod 71ZbnWj9aiL._AC_SL1500_

Rivian R1T R1S My Key Fob Mod 71ZzoGxRZQL._AC_SL1500_

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Reactions: VSG

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Ok, so make it even harder to see the buttons on the FOB. Check.
What possible purpose does that serve? Other than to separate a fool from their money?
Dudes. I didn’t make this, but it’s the ONLY option I could find for the Rivian fob. And yes, some people like to keep their fob protected from damage. Look at the fob examples in this tread. Some are thrashed looking. No one is forcing you to get a cover, but some people prefer to have one. It’s only $12, not an exorbitant expense! I’d prefer something either perfectly clear or with embossed icons, maybe something better will become available for those of us that want a fob cover.

Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Dudes. I didn’t make this, but it’s the ONLY option I could find for the Rivian fob. And yes, some people like to keep their fob protected from damage. Look at the fob examples in this tread. Some are thrashed looking. No one is forcing you to get a cover, but some people prefer to have one. It’s only $12, not an exorbitant expense! I’d prefer something either perfectly clear or with embossed icons, maybe something better will become available for those of us that want a fob cover.
I saw that on Amazon a week or two ago looking for a solution but passed on it. I don't think it's going to provide any benefit. In a previous comment, it looked like an owner had the buttons behind the plastic cover in the fob poking through. I don't think this cover will prevent that because it's an issue with the electric button and friction with the plastic cover over.

I'd like to see an entire replacement fob face available with buttons that are easier to see. Some type of injection molded (or whatever the right type of molding/extruding/printing) plastic with the icons being a white color like you see on other key fobs.

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S
They need to make the key fobs passive fobs already. Annoying that you have to push the button every time. Reminds me of the 1990's. Most cars these days, car recognizes the fob and automatically unlocks. Hoping Rivian figures out the issues they were having with it soon.

Could be wrong, but I believe the problems they have been having are with PAAK, not with the key fob.

Each to their own, but I do not want the key fob to "automatically" unlock my vehicle as I approach it. I actually WANT to actively do something to unlock my vehicle. I deactivated my phone as a key.

There are even some situations for some people where they would not want other nearby people to know which car was theirs. PAAK or fob working similarly makes it obvious which vehicle is yours before you get to it.

That said, I much prefer to actively do something like press a button, use a physical key, etc. to open my vehicle. I don't fully trust passive unlocking methods.
Sponsored