Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Quit crying. Be patient and get the facts. Someone said someone in Sacramento who ordered summer 2020 got contacted.
whatever.
I've been very patient! Waiting since Nov 2018! WTF is going on with Rivian's promises of "first come first served"?
Sponsored

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

What can I say, thoroughly disappointed with Rivian. With over $8 Billion in financing, they can't even get their deliveries straight! I ordered mine in Nov, 2018! WTF! I haven't heard from them and I'm near NY and Philly area, not in the boonies at all.
Luckily I also have an order in for a Cyber Truck.
Seems I have a better chance of getting it before my Rivian, and they haven't even finished the factory yet.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
What can I say, thoroughly disappointed with Rivian. With over $8 Billion in financing, they can't even get their deliveries straight! I ordered mine in Nov, 2018! WTF! I haven't heard from them and I'm near NY and Philly area, not in the boonies at all.
Luckily I also have an order in for a Cyber Truck.
Seems I have a better chance of getting it before my Rivian, and they haven't even finished the factory yet.
Yeah, you can definitely count on Tesla to fulfill orders based on reservation/order date... /sarcasm off
I placed a Model 3 reservation within a couple minutes of the page being live. I'm in Atlanta. By the time I was allowed to place an order for an actual car, literally anybody could go onto Tesla.com and place a new "reservation" and order simultaneously.

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

Just got contacted for mine!

Date Contacted: June 21st, 2021
Preorder Date / Number: December 14th, 2018 / #3174
Vehicle Type: R1T Launch Edition
Color: Launch Green
Interior: Black Mountain
Wheels: 20" All Terrain
Other Configuration Details: Offroad Package, Wall Charger, All Weather Floor Mats, Cargo Crossbars w/ Ski/Snowboard
Estimated Delivery: TBD, call scheduled for 6/22

As a reminder, if you've also been contacted, please add your config to this thread.
@CarterGee , how did your call go? What delivery estimate did they provide?

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
@CarterGee , how did your call go? What delivery estimate did they provide?
He updated his original post and said November 2021. (His post on the Consolidated Configurations for Guide Contacts thread says October 2021, though, so I'm not sure which is accurate.) Sounds right in line with what we've been hearing/seeing from others.

Sponsored

timtwhite

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EXPEDITION, TUNDRA, XC90
Occupation
RETIRED
Well, it seems like we are all still in the same boat - made a deposit in hopes that Rivian could
pull off the impossible and produce two impressive vehicles (and delivery van). So far we have seen prototypes of all vehicles which seem to meet our visual expectations (without performance information). We were given promises that R1T deliveries would start in June, R1S in August, all Launch Editions deliveries to be completed by 12/31/21 and it was implied that about 10,000 Amazon vans would be produced in 2021.

We have received a number of "information'" drops starting April 15, including insurance, guides,
exterior and interior info. Since then we have had a very unpleasant disinformation campaign. R1T deliveries to start in July, no change to start of R1S, LE complete in 'spring" 2022, and a few guide contacts which seem to indicate a very significant delay in the start of production.

My question and concern is the installation and operation of an "assembly line". I have combed all Rivian info, internet articles and YouTube videos to find some indication of Rivian setting up a production facility. The only images I can find are of a repurposed factory that is being used to assemble prototypes. Several newspaper articles in mid April showed a few people in the factory assembling prototypes, a picture of a robot still wrapped in plastic and 5 people in the lunch room. One journalist reported that all of the robots (which were delivered in Nov/Dec last year) are all being stored in one corner of the facility. There has been no report of the installation of a paint facility. Do drone videos of parking lot full of cars and shipping containers.

It seems pretty clear to me that there are some problems. The following are my guesses:
1. E. Musk was correct that prototyping is easy, production is difficult.
2 Technical problems with vehicle performance which require some redesign.
3. Parts delivery impacted with shipping from China and/or chip availability
4. Delaying production and detailed examination of the finished product until
after the IPO is completed
5. The Rivian people in California have no idea what is going on in Normal, Ill.
6. Hiring enough people to develop the assembly line in Normal is way behind schedule.
7. All the above?

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest. I had great hopes that Rivian would be the
company in this century that had integrity, honesty and utmost concern for the product and the
consumer. I am sad to say that none of this ideology seems to be justified. I just hope we
are not taking a joy ride in a Nikola semi.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
Well, it seems like we are all still in the same boat - made a deposit in hopes that Rivian could
pull off the impossible and produce two impressive vehicles (and delivery van). So far we have seen prototypes of all vehicles which seem to meet our visual expectations (without performance information). We were given promises that R1T deliveries would start in June, R1S in August, all Launch Editions deliveries to be completed by 12/31/21 and it was implied that about 10,000 Amazon vans would be produced in 2021.

We have received a number of "information'" drops starting April 15, including insurance, guides,
exterior and interior info. Since then we have had a very unpleasant disinformation campaign. R1T deliveries to start in July, no change to start of R1S, LE complete in 'spring" 2022, and a few guide contacts which seem to indicate a very significant delay in the start of production.

My question and concern is the installation and operation of an "assembly line". I have combed all Rivian info, internet articles and YouTube videos to find some indication of Rivian setting up a production facility. The only images I can find are of a repurposed factory that is being used to assemble prototypes. Several newspaper articles in mid April showed a few people in the factory assembling prototypes, a picture of a robot still wrapped in plastic and 5 people in the lunch room. One journalist reported that all of the robots (which were delivered in Nov/Dec last year) are all being stored in one corner of the facility. There has been no report of the installation of a paint facility. Do drone videos of parking lot full of cars and shipping containers.

It seems pretty clear to me that there are some problems. The following are my guesses:
5. The Rivian people in California have no idea what is going on in Normal, Ill.
6. Hiring enough people to develop the assembly line in Normal is way behind schedule.
7. All the above?

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest. I had great hopes that Rivian would be the
company in this century that had integrity, honesty and utmost concern for the product and the
consumer. I am sad to say that none of this ideology seems to be justified. I just hope we
I’m not sure it’s a matter of lacking integrity or honesty etc. I think they just don’t have all the info at this time and the Marketing Dept doesn’t know how to share the news. I think in the next two months things will work out ( I’m basing this on no info) and while deliveries will be late that by May/June 2022 all the LE Vehicles will get delivered. The way I look at it is if my Car is 6 months later than I thought it will not make a difference in the long run. The most exciting time in getting a new Car is the day you pick it up. So that day is just 6 months further out.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My opinion is they would delay the IPO until the deliveries are started not the other way around.

They need the product being delivered to get anywhere near the IPO value estimates I have seen.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

7. All the above?

I agree with your comments but would add that as early adopters we should expect delays, lack of information and the possibility of the failure of Rivian.

IMO I do not expect Rivian to fail and I do think eventually they will deliver quality vehicles.

I do find it frustrating and concerning that Rivian has not shared anything meaningful in regards to the status of their production facility and production timelines. However, when I put my $1000.00 down for a vehicle from a company that had never manufactured anything in volume, let alone vehicles, I hoped for the best but expected the worst.

IMHO all pre-order holders should have alternate plans.

Last edited:

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
I’m not sure it’s a matter of lacking integrity or honesty etc. I think they just don’t have all the info at this time and the Marketing Dept doesn’t know how to share the news. I think in the next two months things will work out ( I’m basing this on no info) and while deliveries will be late that by May/June 2022 all the LE Vehicles will get delivered. The way I look at it is if my Car is 6 months later than I thought it will not make a difference in the long run. The most exciting time in getting a new Car is the day you pick it up. So that day is just 6 months further out.
Not trying to an arse but original production was slated to begin in 2020, sure COVID delayed that but the truck at best is already 6 months behind schedule.
Every day that goes by the schedule in my head slips later and later. I am still on board and will not opt out but I don’t expect my vehicle before June 2022. Anything before that would be a surprise. @timtwhite brought up a lot valid thoughts And while I don’t agree with some of his points, his thoughts processes are sound

Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

7. All the above?

I agree with your comments but would add that as early adopters we should expect delays, lack of information and the possibility of the failure of Rivian.

IMO I do not expect Rivian to fail and I do think eventually they will deliver quality vehicles.

I do find it frustrating and concerning that Rivian has not shared anything meaningful in regards to the status of their production facility and production timelines. When I put my $1000.00 deposit down for a vehicle from a company that had never mass produced anything, let alone a vehicle, I hoped for the best but expected the worst.

IMHO I think all pre-order holders probably have or should have alternate plans.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
it was implied that about 10,000 Amazon vans would be produced in 2021.
This is not true. They said they would start delivering Amazon vans in 2021 and deliver 10k in 2022.

timtwhite

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EXPEDITION, TUNDRA, XC90
Occupation
RETIRED
This is not true. They said they would start delivering Amazon vans in 2021 and deliver 10k in 2022.
My comment about the Amazon was not only incorrect (thank you for the correction), it was irrelevant to the discussion of the production facility in Normal. The Amazon delivery truck will be built in Plymouth, Michigan.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
My comment about the Amazon was not only incorrect (thank you for the correction), it was irrelevant to the discussion of the production facility in Normal. The Amazon delivery truck will be built in Plymouth, Michigan.
Normal, IL. They don't have a factory in Michigan.
Sponsored