Sponsored

Missing Launch Features

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Clubs

I always thought it was a supply issue probably because of COVID to get the number of cells to deliver the larger packs. By doing the 135 packs instead of the 180 packs they can deliver 25% more vehicles. If the target is 24K, it is the same battery requirement as 18K for the large pack.
Agree. And don't forget they have to fulfill that Amazon contract too.
Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
No, you aren't. 58% of respondents to a poll I did here want the larger battery.

There must be a very good reason they are not offering it first - such as that they simply can't get the cells. Certainly, it's a nice looking truck (and SUV) but the thing that grabbed a lot of people when it was announced was the 400 mile range. Four hundred mile range now is more likely to elicit a yawn than a "Wow" and you can't even get 400 miles - yet. I think this is bound to have caused many to cancel but what do I know?
I went with Launch Edition, but with the lack of details, I would consider cancelling my LE and seeing what the longer range is on the R1s.

Hopefully, they will release the longer range R1s info before I have to make a decision.

But my car works fine now, so if I cancel if forced to choose between LE or nothing, I could cancel; wait for detail on the long range R1s, and then put in an order for the long range.

We'll see. Speculating on this helps me about as much as speculating on the other forthcoming details. All first world problems.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I always thought it was a supply issue probably because of COVID to get the number of cells to deliver the larger packs. By doing the 135 packs instead of the 180 packs they can deliver 25% more vehicles. If the target is 24K, it is the same battery requirement as 18K for the large pack.
This very much might be true for the R1T since there is a Max pack available... just delayed.... but on the R1S there is no official announcement... just a coming later. Furthermore, Rivian has made it clear that they want an R1S with 7 seats and Max Pack which means there is some re-design in that offering. Previously the Max Pack was only available in the 5 seater version. (Since I am done raising kids the 5 seat version was fine with me).

Bottom line is the supply constraints might be part of it but the desire to redesign the R1S is also part of it.... Or I'd be able to get my 400 mile R1S in January of 2022. As it stands now I have no idea when or if a 400 mile R1S will become available. The redesign may come out as a 350 or 375 mile as a compromise with 7 seats... at this point we really don't know. Rivian has not said 400 mile R1S coming later... They've said longer range version coming later... and I quote from their website - "A longer range R1S with both five- and seven-passenger seating will be announced following start of production." So it makes me nervous that there is no firm commitment to a 400 mile version of the R1S at this time. For my use case as a long haul retirement travel vehicle- Range is everything.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This very much might be true for the R1T since there is a Max pack available... just delayed.... but on the R1S there is no official announcement... just a coming later. Furthermore, Rivian has made it clear that they want an R1S with 7 seats and Max Pack which means there is some re-design in that offering. Previously the Max Pack was only available in the 5 seater version. (Since I am done raising kids the 5 seat version was fine with me).

Bottom line is the supply constraints might be part of it but the desire to redesign the R1S is also part of it.... Or I'd be able to get my 400 mile R1S in January of 2022. As it stands now I have no idea when or if a 400 mile R1S will become available. The redesign may come out as a 350 or 375 mile as a compromise with 7 seats... at this point we really don't know. Rivian has not said 400 mile R1S coming later... They've said longer range version coming later... and I quote from their website - "A longer range R1S with both five- and seven-passenger seating will be announced following start of production." So it makes me nervous that there is no firm commitment to a 400 mile version of the R1S at this time. For my use case as a long haul retirement travel vehicle- Range is everything.
You can post a question to Customer service, this was in another Rivian Forum, seems to say they have recently confirmed it will happen.

https://www.[Banned Site].com/threads/r1s-with-7-seats-big-battery-pack-confirmed.1190/#post-7169

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
You can post a question to Customer service, this was in another Rivian Forum, seems to say they have recently confirmed it will happen.
I spoke to CS shortly after the announcement back in November. They assured me that a longer range R1S was coming (which is why I am still here participating in the discussion) They didn't confirm the exact battery size or expected range at that time. For now I hold my reservation and will ultimately make my decision based on what they officially announce.
Sponsored