Sponsored

Max Pack range coming......I know, I know....soon?

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
I had an interaction with the Customer Service email today, because I am trying to determine if the Max Pack and/or other add-ons count against the MSRP when determining eligibility for the tax credit.

I didn't quite get the tax credit answer I was looking for, but they DID sneak in a hint on Max Pack range announcement timing...... (emphasis mine)

"Hey Christopher!

Thanks for checking in with us, it’s good to hear from you! In the United States, you may be eligible for a federal tax credit of up to $7,500 the year you take delivery of your vehicle. I wouldn’t think every accessory would be considered part of the MSRP, but it probably depends on the situation! Since tax laws can be quite complicated, and we are not tax professionals, please be sure to understand your individual tax situation or consult a tax professional for advice on how this applies to your specific situation.

We’re excited to be announcing the timing of that longer-range R1S after this month’s launch of the R1T, so be sure to keep an eye out for those Adventure Newsletter emails for more info regarding the range!

Thanks for supporting us on this journey to keep the world adventurous forever! Please feel free to reach back out anytime with additional questions, and as always, stay adventurous, Christopher!

Your fellow adventurer,
(redacted to protect the innocent) lol "

So...in summation.....soon.

Soon.
Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Still as vague as always, since after the R1T launch could mean a day after, a month after, a year after, or whenever they feel like it.

OP
OP

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Still as vague as always, since after the R1T launch could mean a day after, a month after, a year after, or whenever they feel like it.

yea, the whole email is a Master Class in saying nothing

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I mean it does say “this month’s launch…” so at least they are currently sticking with that.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Which tax credit? If you’re talking about the proposed US federal legislation, it’s really unrealistic to think anybody at Rivian has any idea how the final credit will work. It is honestly unlikely to pass at all anyway, but even if it does, it could have provisions that specifically address what has to be included in the relevant “MSRP”. If the threshold is $80k, Congress likely doesn’t want a company to game the hell out of it by selling a car for $79,999 that has software limited range of 100 miles but that can be upgraded to 300 miles for the low price of $100 after vehicle purchase. Details like how that will work are not even in serious discussion in Congress, so Rivian has no way to know what will happen.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I mean it does say “this month’s launch…” so at least they are currently sticking with that.
It's not July 30th, yet.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Which tax credit? If you’re talking about the proposed US federal legislation, it’s really unrealistic to think anybody at Rivian has any idea how the final credit will work. It is honestly unlikely to pass at all anyway, but even if it does, it could have provisions that specifically address what has to be included in the relevant “MSRP”. If the threshold is $80k, Congress likely doesn’t want a company to game the hell out of it by selling a car for $79,999 that has software limited range of 100 miles but that can be upgraded to 300 miles for the low price of $100 after vehicle purchase. Details like how that will work are not even in serious discussion in Congress, so Rivian has no way to know what will happen.
Not to mention that it has been removed from the latest bi-partisan infrastructure bill. Thus, it would need to pass as a standalone bill or part of another bill, making it even less likely to happen, IMO.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Not to mention that it has been removed from the latest bi-partisan infrastructure bill. Thus, it would need to pass as a standalone bill or part of another bill, making it even less likely to happen, IMO.
They've stated they plan on reintroducing it as a standalone bill. I think it's still pretty likely.

jagged

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

Some state EV tax credits are MSRP dependent, as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Correct.

IF the latest incarnation of the tax credit bill goes anywhere, $80,000 MSRP has been mentioned as the cutoff.

As it stands NOW, the feds only care about the number sold, no MSRP cap

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
If the threshold is $80k, Congress likely doesn’t want a company to game the hell out of it by selling a car for $79,999 that has software limited range of 100 miles but that can be upgraded to 300 miles for the low price of $100 after vehicle purchase.
This is similar to what Tesla did in Canada. Our (minimal) incentives stipulated a max base price (and also another, slightly higher, max price for optioned car), so Tesla created a 93-mile range software locked model for this purpose: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/01/tesla-canada-ev-incentive-cheap-93-mile-range-model-3/

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
They've stated they plan on reintroducing it as a standalone bill. I think it's still pretty likely.
A stand-alone bill has to get past the filibuster in the Senate. Don’t count on it being able to do that on its own, especially after it was removed from the bipartisan infrastructure deal. The only realistic chances for it are through the giant reconciliation bill that Democrats are planning as a supplement to the infrastructure package or are part of the FY22 budget, whatever that will end up looking like. Either way, it’s going to have to hitch a ride with something much bigger. The infrastructure bill was one option, and that’s now one option gone.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Rivian Guide answer guide:
" Thank you so much for that insightful question. We fully share your excitement for these amazing adventure vehicles and can hardly wait to bring them to you and other enthusiasts. Addressing questions like the one you asked is precisely why we're here and we're thrilled to be able to provide those answers. At this time, we can say with certainty that your question is one of the most common ones we get and we're busy compiling all those responses at this time. We look forward to sharing more details regarding all inquiries soon. Thanks again for your passionate pursuit of an EV Adventure with us at Rivian! "

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Rivian Guide answer guide:
" Thank you so much for that insightful question. We fully share your excitement for these amazing adventure vehicles and can hardly wait to bring them to you and other enthusiasts. Addressing questions like the one you asked is precisely why we're here and we're thrilled to be able to provide those answers. At this time, we can say with certainty that your question is one of the most common ones we get and we're busy compiling all those responses at this time. We look forward to sharing more details regarding all inquiries soon. Thanks again for your passionate pursuit of an EV Adventure with us at Rivian! "
The meme has gained self-awareness, at this point. We have achieved ultimate-meta.
Sponsored