OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Thanks for this. I just applied for an account (checking and savings to get the additional rate discount) as well. Someone else mentioned it takes a few days to get those up and running before you can apply for a loan. Is that accurate?

Their rates almost seem too good to be true right now, but fingers crossed it all works out for everyone.
That someone might have been me 😆.

I was told to budget a few days for membership approval, but I ended up calling them in between for a bunch of questions and they kind of sorted out my approval during those calls. So I think the answer is it depends, but their staff is super helpful on the phone.

You will definitely need membership approved before you can apply for a loan.

And yes their rates are ridiculous given the current market. They will honor the Sept rate (for up to 30 days I believe) as long as you submit your loan application by Sept 30.
Sponsored

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
That someone might have been me 😆.

I was told to budget a few days for membership approval, but I ended up calling them in between for a bunch of questions and they kind of sorted out my approval during those calls. So I think the answer is it depends, but their staff is super helpful on the phone.

You will definitely need membership approved before you can apply for a loan.

And yes their rates are ridiculous given the current market. They will honor the Sept rate (for up to 30 days I believe) as long as you submit your loan application by Sept 30.
Thank you for getting this all straightened out and posting your experience. I'll be watching your process unfold and I'm right there behind ya.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
In order to streamline the Rivian purchase process, I'm considering going with Rivian financing and Rivian insurance... then refinancing after title/registration is complete and converting to my incumbent insurance provider (if advantageous). Is this a bad idea?

snakeey11

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Limestone R1T, 2014 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yeah, I'm happy with their customer service so far. It took basically two business days for my membership approval to go through and I just this morning submitted the loan application. I'm glad at least one other person is ahead of me in the process so Parsons will have some idea already of what specific quirks are required in dealing with Rivian :)

pablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
It is too good to be true, I just got my membership approved and they were going to try and fast-track my loan for this Friday and then after a hard credit pull just to become a member they drop a bomb that loan officers are now requiring around 20% down payments. My credit score is over 840, so pretty sure this is going to apply to everyone. Maybe y'all will be luckier than I.

The person helping me with the membership approval was very nice but this just feels like a total bait and switch. 20% down payment makes their rate completely uncompetitive, they need to list that on their rate sheets or at least before they pull your credit, not cool.

Sponsored

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

August 12 I got 2.25% at Emory Alliance Creidt Union in Atlanta. Sadly you must visit a branch to take advantage of these rates.

Reactions: Rad
OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
It is too good to be true, I just got my membership approved and they were going to try and fast-track my loan for this Friday and then after a hard credit pull just to become a member they drop a bomb that loan officers are now requiring around 20% down payments. My credit score is over 840, so pretty sure this is going to apply to everyone. Maybe y'all will be luckier than I.

The person helping me with the membership approval was very nice but this just feels like a total bait and switch. 20% down payment makes their rate completely uncompetitive, they need to list that on their rate sheets or at least before they pull your credit, not cool.
Wtf. That's a bunch of bullshit. I will give them hell if they tell me this, I'm expecting to hear from an underwriter tomorrow. I was planning on putting around 10% down and will push for that as much as I can. Will keep you all posted here.

VenturaLuke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Flight Nurse
I went with my local CU (which I was not a member of before) just a couple weeks ago and was able to get 3.49 for 60 months. They also offered 4.04% for 72 month or longer. Not the best rate but definitely better than what I've seen Rivian financing offering. I had them go ahead and submit the payment when my guide told me the truck had arrived in CA. I didnt want anything to hold up delivery. Truck ended up sitting in a rail yard for over a week and just arrived at the SC today. Oh well, at least I know it should be delivery time s00n!

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I went with my local CU (which I was not a member of before) just a couple weeks ago and was able to get 3.49 for 60 months. They also offered 4.04% for 72 month or longer. Not the best rate but definitely better than what I've seen Rivian financing offering. I had them go ahead and submit the payment when my guide told me the truck had arrived in CA. I didnt want anything to hold up delivery. Truck ended up sitting in a rail yard for over a week and just arrived at the SC today. Oh well, at least I know it should be delivery time s00n!
My guide told me that they are no longer cashing checks / withdrawing down payments instantly - they are apparently holding until delivery is made. Don't know if it will pan out that way for you but thought I'd share.

And yea mid 3's seem to be where most other CUs are at right now. Which isn't bad at all, especially compared to Rivian/Chase.

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
In order to streamline the Rivian purchase process, I'm considering going with Rivian financing and Rivian insurance... then refinancing after title/registration is complete and converting to my incumbent insurance provider (if advantageous). Is this a bad idea?
I would explore financing third-party sooner because rates are likely going to continue climbing for the next 2-3 months. You're probably fine on that approach for insurance though.

Sponsored

VenturaLuke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Flight Nurse
My guide told me that they are no longer cashing checks / withdrawing down payments instantly - they are apparently holding until delivery is made. Don't know if it will pan out that way for you but thought I'd share.

And yea mid 3's seem to be where most other CUs are at right now. Which isn't bad at all, especially compared to Rivian/Chase.
Good to know. I just had to upload the tracking number and a copy of the check from my CU to the financing and then I also made my down payment at the same time as well. I haven't actually looked to see if the down payment was withdrawn from my account but I think it was.

Timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 cummins | 1994 FZJ80 | 2021 Bolt
For those of you taking delivery this month (or potentially next), what are the lowest interest rates you are finding? I'm expecting my R1S anytime in the next 2 - 4 weeks, and would like to lock down a rate this month because next month will most definitely be worse.

The best I could find was Parsons Federal Credit Union. Free to join, and their EV-specific rate is as low as 2.49%:
https://www.parsonsfcu.org/loan-rates

Most others I'm seeing are in the mid 3's and upward. Any others that are worth looking into?
Just applied for Parsons. Thanks for the head's up!

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Just applied for Parsons. Thanks for the head's up!
Np! Beware of what @pablo mentioned up in their post about them requiring 20% down. I haven't got that far yet but curious to see if you are also told the same thing or not.

Timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 cummins | 1994 FZJ80 | 2021 Bolt
Np! Beware of what @pablo mentioned up in their post about them requiring 20% down. I haven't got that far yet but curious to see if you are also told the same thing or not.
Roger that. I figured it's worth the effort to try. Not disclosing any of that seems pretty shady to me. It's nowhere on their site.

If/when you speak to them and it comes up you might mention that there are at least 3 and probably more loans riding on their decision. I specifically called out rivianforums as how I found out about them.

Good luck!

snakeey11

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Limestone R1T, 2014 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Engineer
It is too good to be true, I just got my membership approved and they were going to try and fast-track my loan for this Friday and then after a hard credit pull just to become a member they drop a bomb that loan officers are now requiring around 20% down payments.
Ah, that's good to know, and does suck because that isn't made clear anywhere that I could see. Luckily, I was already planning on only financing 75% or so.
Sponsored