Sponsored

Loud compressor after 22 update

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I know this is happening to a lot of folks after updating to 22, but just want to make it known that this is not exclusively a 22 problem. I am on 18 and have had this issue on my R1S for the past 2-3 weeks.
Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
I haven't updated my R1S yet since its at service center for other items. Sounds like I should skip this new update?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I did the .22 update last night. Prior to the update, I had low compressor noise which was completely masked by the air flow noise coming out of the vents. The ambient temperatures have been in the mid to high 70s here. I tried it just now, post update, with 77 degrees ambient temp (my home weather station indicated temperature) and the noise *might* be slightly louder but it's hard to tell.

I did notice something interesting, I don't know if this happened before .22 or not. I had the door open and I put my foot on the brake. The compressor ramped up in speed, easy to hear since the door was open. I took my foot off the brake and it ramped down. Huh, how 'bout that? Anticipation of driving away? Depending on the speed of the compressor, I could feel what I would call a very slight vibration only at certain speeds, like there are resonant points. At some speeds no vibration noticed.

I will also mention behavior that I would expect to be completely normal. If you lower the temperature or increase the fan speed, the compressor ramps up as it needs to provide more BTUs of cooling to satisfy the demand.

I still have not had 95-100 degree temperature to see what happens, but from the sound of the compressor, I think it is running near it's top speed. It's not annoying to me and it is easily masked by the blower and radio. Standing outside the R1S, the compressor is no louder to me than the noise level of an idling ICE vehicle. So at this point I have no complaints......

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yep, same problem. Started with 2023.22.0. Contacting Rivian support is useless other than another data point of the problem. Their only response: make a service appointment, which is a 4 month wait. Which won’t solve the problem anyway. It needs a software update to fix the new “normal” to go back to the old normal. It wasn’t broken.

It is the most annoying “fix” I’ve seen in 10 months of updates. The internal testing bar is low before a release is sent. We are the beta testers. The problem is there’s no going back once you install.
This did NOT start with 2023.22.0. I just updated yesterday, but have had the same compressor problems on 3-4 days that it was hot here in Denver on the previous software version. It's happening now because it's finally summer, it's hot in parts of the country, and the compressor is working overtime to cool things down. I'm hoping it can be fixed with a software update and isn't a major issue because it sure is annoying when it happens.

Sponsored

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

This did NOT start with 2023.22.0. I just updated yesterday, but have had the same compressor problems on 3-4 days that it was hot here in Denver on the previous software version. It's happening now because it's finally summer, it's hot in parts of the country, and the compressor is working overtime to cool things down. I'm hoping it can be fixed with a software update and isn't a major issue because it sure is annoying when it happens.
I think there are two camps:

1. Compressor noise present prior to release in hot weather locations. Post release, some changes in ramp/velocity but noise persists.

2. Compressor noise not present prior to release (maybe only in mild weather locales?). Post release, compress noise appears.

Confirmed cases for both.

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S

1. Compressor noise present prior to release in hot weather locations. Post release, some changes in ramp/velocity but noise persists.

2. Compressor noise not present prior to release (maybe only in mild weather locales?). Post release, compress noise appears.

My experience is that it started when I updated to 22. My garage isn’t that hot and it makes the sound as soon as I get in, in the garage, where it isn’t hot.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just got my truck back today with .22 on it. It's been cool today so I'll hold off on saying anything about how quiet my AC is.

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

I think this is both a hardware and software issue. The hardware is noisy for many folks when it really gets going. The recent update seems to increase the occurrence of the compressor running at full tilt, which just highlights the hardware issue.

I do also think this is a more obvious issue because the car is otherwise very quiet. My Tahoe gets loud when the air is at full tilt, but the engine is so loud you just don't notice it as much.

FWIW, and I haven't seen this mentioned here recently: I had noticed the extra loud compressor last summer, but update 2022.31.05 actually made it a lot better. The recent 2023.22 update has perhaps reversed some of that that, in exchange for more cooling, faster. So I do think software plays a factor.

Rivian R1T R1S Loud compressor after 22 update 1688072947053

Sponsored

Alieti

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I4, Rivian R1S
It’s happening to me too. Immediately after the update. Super loud, vibrating floor pedal as well. My Efficiency has also plummeted. Was averaging well above 2.0 now down to 1.5 especially when the car first turns on for the first 10-15 min.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

OP
OP
Rickmc

Rickmc

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Vacation Rentals
My experience is that it started when I updated to 22. My garage isn’t that hot and it makes the sound as soon as I get in, in the garage, where it isn’t hot.
Same, under 72 degrees in my garage at 7:30am. Climate set to 69 on Auto. Walk out and suddenly reverberating around my garage is a captive weed eater giving it hell.

Really REALLY appreciate @Zoidz letting us all know that he is right and we are all imagining things. Thanks! Helps bunches!

Last edited:

freejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Rivian R1S
I've had the issue since owning the vehicle but today, I remote started the AC and when I walked up to the car I could hear the usual loud buzzing but along with what was a very strong burning smell. Narrowed down the origin of the scent to where the wipers are which is also above where the compressor is.

Anyone else notice a smell that accompanies the buzzing? Something sure to burn out eventually.

Last edited:

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My R1T started doing this post update also. Thankfully only lasts a few minutes. Not too warm yet here in SoCal so we’ll see.
Sponsored