Loud cabin noise

rivianado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ACURA TL, TOYOTA HIGHLANDER
Occupation
SOFTWARE CONSULTANT
I took the delivery last week. So far the truck has been great but a few issues I noticed. Especially loud noise in the cabin whenever I start the truck. See the video here. I created a service request for the issue. Has anyone noticed this problem?
Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I’ve had this noise on occasion. I believe it’s the A/C compressor though not certain. Reported it as a service item, but I haven’t had any movement yet.

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have not heard a noise like that - is the climate on? Is the ride height changing?

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Our Model X makes a very similar noise sometimes. I haven't paid attention to why it occurs. I just assume its a cooling fan of sorts.

OP
OP
rivianado

rivianado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SOFTWARE CONSULTANT
Yea
I have not heard a noise like that - is the climate on? Is the ride height changing?
Yes AC is On. No change in the ride height.

Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

The vehicle I took for my first mile ride made this exact same noise. The guide told me it was the air conditioner.

When I took delivery of my vehicle, it did not make this noise for the first thousand miles. Now when the car starts up it makes this noise and vibrates the dash.

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
If you turn off the climate, does the noise go away?

OP
OP
rivianado

rivianado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SOFTWARE CONSULTANT
If you turn off the climate, does the noise go away?
Just tested it, Yes, the sound goes away when I turn off the Climate. It comes back in when I switch it back on.

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Interesting - seems like your fan, compressor, or something is louder than expected. The climate components are loud for me, but it sounds like a loud hvac fan (e. g. wind noise), and not similar to your video. Had a 100 degree day according to the Truck temp the other day, and didn't experience that sound. Know what were the temps for you?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The vehicle I took for my first mile ride made this exact same noise. The guide told me it was the air conditioner.

When I took delivery of my vehicle, it did not make this noise for the first thousand miles. Now when the car starts up it makes this noise and vibrates the dash.
The fact that the noise is new and that it (and the exaple in the OP, both have a vibrational aspect would concern me. Best to have it checked out.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sounds like the AC compressor, fans, and coolant pumps. Hard to tell if it's louder than it should be but mine is pretty loud when just sitting still.

OP
OP
rivianado

rivianado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SOFTWARE CONSULTANT
Interesting - seems like your fan, compressor, or something is louder than expected. The climate components are loud for me, but it sounds like a loud hvac fan (e. g. wind noise), and not similar to your video. Had a 100 degree day according to the Truck temp the other day, and didn't experience that sound. Know what were the temps for you?
cabin temperatures are in 90s. It makes no difference when I am at home or outside. I hear this annoying noise whenever I start the truck with climate ON.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I have the same thing. I thought it was a normal part of:

- Atomic batteries to power.
- Turbines to speed.
- Let’s go!

Now if I could just get the Homelink to control my fall-down striped barrier, I’d be all set.

Rivian R1T R1S Loud cabin noise 1658148022488

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
Mine makes that noise too. It's part of the cooling system. It always stops making this noise after about 30 seconds.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
All 3 Rivian's I've spent time behind the wheel have had this noise...mainly when sitting in truck while fast charging with AC on. It gets even louder when you know you have a bolt or fastener on top of one of the carbon fiber panels underneath the front end rattling around. :confused:
Sponsored