Sponsored

Looking to purchase your Launch Edition

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
In that situation sales tax will have to be paid on vehicle. $6,800 in NYS. Registration, initial insurance payments. The truck would have to sell for almost 100k to equal the $8,000 offer I got.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Is this really a thing? I’m sure somebody has bought and EV and then decided “they aren’t actually ready.” But is this common? I’ve never known somebody who did this. Looking at Carvana there are 163 2021/2022 Model 3s for sale but their prices are similar to and in some cases higher than new. Kelly Blue Book has the price of a $5000 more for a 2021 model 3 than a 2022.
Note we will be able to test your theory In a few weeks. As Rivian is close to 1000 sold.
Yeah. I started looking for a BEV pretty consistently at thenend of 2019 to replace one of our cars and there was an Etron with like 300 miles on the lot that said it was used. I actually called to confirm, and it was. The dealer confirmed, and while we were test driving it he said that happens more often with them and the Porsche dealer attached to them than I would ever imagined. Someone buys a $150k Porsche on a whim, and then decides they don't like... whatever and trade it in a week later.

That being said the current market obviously not the norm, so trading a car in isn't necessarily a huge hit because places can resell at new car prices. For example, I can trade my ID.4 in within $2k of what I bought it for.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Just throwing out that I am still interested in someone's LE if they don't want it. I have a reasonable delivery window for my adventure trim, and am really just after launch green, so I am not looking to buy it off someone who still wants their reservation. Just trying to save a launch edition from the abyss of a cancelation.

GOLFISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Ridgline, Subaru Outback, Odyssey, Prius
I have a reservation, but I was late to the party and couldn't get a Launch Edition. My fav color is LE Green, but alas that isn't an option for me.

Anyway... if anyone with a LE reservation is thinking of cancelling, or waiting for a later model, send me a message and maybe we can work something out.
I have a reservation, but I was late to the party and couldn't get a Launch Edition. My fav color is LE Green, but alas that isn't an option for me.

Anyway... if anyone with a LE reservation is thinking of cancelling, or waiting for a later model, send me a message and maybe we can work something out.
Can we get an update on offers and method of transfer?

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

People have reported just changing the email, name, and password on the account and giving it to another person.

Offers is tough to nail down - I see people mostly offering <5k and others saying they've turned down 15k. It's my opinion that with nearly all Adventure trims being given 2022 dates that it doesn't make sense to pay that much for getting it 4-8 months earlier.

The whole thing is rather risky since we have no idea if Rivian will even deliver the March-April reservations on time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
People have reported just changing the email, name, and password on the account and giving it to another person.

Offers is tough to nail down - I see people mostly offering <5k and others saying they've turned down 15k. I'm looking to buy at around 4k personally. It's my opinion that with nearly all Adventure trims being given 2022 dates that it doesn't make sense to pay that much for getting it 4-8 months earlier.

The whole thing is rather risky since we have no idea if Rivian will even deliver the March-April reservations on time.
There's a fair amount of risk for the buyer period.

Outdoorsyish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Subaru Ascent
Can we get an update on offers and method of transfer?
Haven’t really followed this thread or posted on it until today.

I’d be willing to take over a LE pre-order for 10k if it would likely get me into an R1T in the spring (in Oregon), 5k for mid-late summer. Happy to swap for my May 2021 reservation (originally a max pack with recent 2nd half 2023 delivery estimate, just changed to a large pack that I’d estimate might be available as early as late 2022).

Edited to clarify that I recently changed my own reservation from a max pack to a large pack. I do not have a new estimate from Rivian of an updated delivery date, but others who preordered large packs when I preordered mine have an estimated delivery from Oct-Dec 2022.

Last edited:

FPHater

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have an electric longboard
Occupation
Retired Air Force
Haven’t really followed this thread or posted on it until today.

I’d be willing to take over a LE pre-order for 10k if it would likely get me into an R1T in the spring (in Oregon), 5k for mid-late summer. Happy to swap for my May 2021 reservation (originally a max pack with recent 2nd half 2023 delivery estimate, just changed to a large pack that I’d estimate might be available as early as late 2022).

Edited to clarify that I recently changed my own reservation from a max pack to a large pack. I do not have a new estimate from Rivian of an updated delivery date, but others who preordered large packs when I preordered mine have an estimated delivery from Oct-Dec 2022.
Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if the price went up by $5k-$10k after launch editions are delivered.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You cannot take the federal tax credit if you buy the vehicle for resale

If you buy it as a private individual and decide you want to sell it after a month or two I don't think that negates your tax credit.

If you buy it to resell immediately I think that would be different.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f8936--2021.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8936.pdf

If you acquire it solely for resale - you are correct. However If you drive it for a month I can't see how that would be defined as 'buying for resale'.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/the-ins-and-outs-of-electric-vehicle-tax-credits.html

• The federal tax credit isn't applicable to an electric vehicle being purchased for the purpose of reselling it. That's a gray area, though, and would be tough for authorities to prove.

And another thread on Lease hacker:

"- Have resold car and captured ev credit. There is no language in the tax code requiring a minimum number of days of service. It only says car must not have been titled before and been placed in service. It does not say must be continuously maintained in service for rest of year."

Last edited:

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Rivian R1T R1S Looking to purchase your Launch Edition 1641271327210

Tree-fiddy K. Don't ask, Monstah asking fer dis price.

Sponsored

Jensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
Hi,

I'm interested in a Launch Edition reservation for the first half of 2022. If you're looking to transfer, let me know and we can work out details around the $

Thanks,

GOLFISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Ridgline, Subaru Outback, Odyssey, Prius
Hi,

I'm interested in a Launch Edition reservation for the first half of 2022. If you're looking to transfer, let me know and we can work out details around the $

Thanks,
How does the transfer work?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Given the pricing announced for the F-150 Lightning and today's SilvErado, the "value prospect" for Rivian R1T (or S) is really off-the-charts. Those other guys are effectively selling Launch Editions for about $100k and early buyers must suffer the pain of stealership-markups easily hitting $10k or multiples of that amount.

Given how incredibly rare Rivian Launch Editions will be throughout 2022 only a fool would accept less than $25k. Non-employee Rivians will be listing on eBay in Q1 and predictably selling north of $100k.

kemosaabe9

First Name
davd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 volvo s60; 2018 volvo v60 cc
Occupation
systems engineering
Considering selling my preorder, oct 2019 slot LE. Not sure what it’s worth, pm me if interested, I’m thinking of just grabbing a model 3 instead of waiting.

5921F152-7126-4EB8-B996-8640BB891C20.png

D017B6AC-3BFD-48F7-B0E6-D7869BEE1BF8.png
pm me - I may be interested
Sponsored