Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Is the spacing something that can be fixed after delivery? My concern is that by refusing delivery, you would most likely be giving up Launch Edition as well as your place in line on an order. Since I am really tossed up between S or T, I spoke with CS and they mentioned that you are unable to exchange models, even within the 7 day return window.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
To me the spacing issue could be one of two things
- The curve of the bonnet needs refining - look along the bonnet/fender gap the entire length and see if it increase or decreases proportionately
- The bonnet damper is usually adjustable in most cars, screw it counterclockwise and you can lower your front bonnet match

It would make sense that most of these prototypes with such issues could go to employees, as I'm sure they would be allowed to swap out the poor components for refined ones later, or at least get the body tweaked to a certain spec once those tolerances have been ironed out...

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Ok, tell me if I’m OCD or not, but I get super annoyed about the hood and charging door alignment on these “customer” deliveries…its been all over the place…just not consistent. Does it not bother anyone else? I need to know if I’m crazy…?‍♂?
Like crazy Elon said…. Designing is easy, manufacturing is hard.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Is the spacing something that can be fixed after delivery? My concern is that by refusing delivery, you would most likely be giving up Launch Edition as well as your place in line on an order. Since I am really tossed up between S or T, I spoke with CS and they mentioned that you are unable to exchange models, even within the 7 day return window.
Yes this sort of thing is adjustable, usually. Go open your car’s hood. Should be a bumper at either front corner. They’re threaded.

height of the catch for the latch is also usually adjustable.

But it’s more likely this gap has been set so it looks more uniform from more common viewing angles.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
20’’ wheels/tire combination look awesome.
Agreed. I just find it interesting that they haven't sent out and if thy default wheels yet apparently.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Agreed. I just find it interesting that they haven't sent out and if thy default wheels yet apparently.
I'm not that surprised they are all on the 20's.

The deliveries are virtually all in the mid west in an area they may need more of a winter tire, especially starting out this time of year. They are getting LEs with a free upgrade to the 20's that from everything we have read are great all around and can handle winter weather.

If I lived there instead of SoCal I would probably get the 20's instead of the 22's. But either way, would be hard to pass up a free upgrade to either one of those from the 21's.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not that surprised they are all on the 20's.

The deliveries are virtually all in the mid west in an area they may need more of a winter tire, especially starting out this time of year. They are getting LEs with a free upgrade to the 20's that from everything we have read are great all around and can handle winter weather.

If I lived there instead of SoCal I would probably get the 20's instead of the 22's. But either way, would be hard to pass up a free upgrade to either one of those from the 21's.
Good point, I forgot about that with the launch editions.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
The alignment/gap issue where the hood, front quarter panel and DRL light bar intersect doesn’t look good. Hopefully they iron out fit issues quickly.

BEECA7F6-693B-4F9C-9FC6-86C654B57CD9.jpeg
I'd be impressed if this is the only thing wrong with a new vehicle from a new company. It does appear to be a consistent alignment issue based on the R1T I saw today.

Keep in mind, there's companies that have been doing this for 100+ years and still can't get it right.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I'd be impressed if this is the only thing wrong with a new vehicle from a new company. It does appear to be a consistent alignment issue based on the R1T I saw today.

Keep in mind, there's companies that have been doing this for 100+ years and still can't get it right.
Well said. Don’t let “perfection” spoil the show. Pressing on…..

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
Wow. That looks really good. I still cant decide. I was off LG for a few weeks, may be back on now.

BubbleShip

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Office Manager
The hood/fender gap issue is a deal breaker for me if they can't fix it before they contact me to solidify the order. My pre-order date is October 2021 so I would think this would be fixed by mid next year but the fact they are releasing prod vehicles with this much of a visible defect is very concerning to me. I don't think it could be fixed in the field as the problem seems to be a tooling issue. It appears the hood curvature does not follow the fender curvature all the way to the front. The hood/fender are vertically aligned near the windshield but it seems the hood is higher than the fender near the front so I don't see how making adjustments would rectify that. If you lower the hood near the front, I would think the the gap will then show near the windshield.
I had a brand new 2005 Mustang GT way back that had a molded piece of plastic in the truck that kept popping out because the mold was not precise enough to fit the trunk shape and attachment points. They could never fix that because they never redid the mold. The dealer kept putting new clips and it kept popping out... Not exactly the same situation here but I think it's similar.
I hope Rivian recognizes this is a major issue, which would jeopardize their reputation for quality. I am not willing to spend $75K on a vehicle that has this type of panel gap issues. Not acceptable in a $20K vehicle so certainly not at $75K.
Love what Rivian is trying to do. Let's hope they read these posts and take corrective action quickly, unless again there is a fix post-delivery but I doubt it.
Sponsored