Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The hood/fender gap issue is a deal breaker for me if they can't fix it before they contact me to solidify the order. My pre-order date is October 2021 so I would think this would be fixed by mid next year but the fact they are releasing prod vehicles with this much of a visible defect is very concerning to me. I don't think it could be fixed in the field as the problem seems to be a tooling issue. It appears the hood curvature does not follow the fender curvature all the way to the front. The hood/fender are vertically aligned near the windshield but it seems the hood is higher than the fender near the front so I don't see how making adjustments would rectify that. If you lower the hood near the front, I would think the the gap will then show near the windshield.
I had a brand new 2005 Mustang GT way back that had a molded piece of plastic in the truck that kept popping out because the mold was not precise enough to fit the trunk shape and attachment points. They could never fix that because they never redid the mold. The dealer kept putting new clips and it kept popping out... Not exactly the same situation here but I think it's similar.
I hope Rivian recognizes this is a major issue, which would jeopardize their reputation for quality. I am not willing to spend $75K on a vehicle that has this type of panel gap issues. Not acceptable in a $20K vehicle so certainly not at $75K.
Love what Rivian is trying to do. Let's hope they read these posts and take corrective action quickly, unless again there is a fix post-delivery but I doubt it.
Well, I have seen some where it lines up perfectly....its a matter of the fender and hood just needing to be mounted in exactly the right spot....there must be some play in the size of the bolt holes or something when putting them together?
Sponsored

BubbleShip

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Office Manager
You're right Dave. I have seen some photos where there is no gap issue, but it's rare, which is puzzling to me. If it's a mold/press issue, you would think the issue would be everywhere. But then again, if it's a simple adjustment, why would they release prod vehicles without the adjustment?
Other than this gap issue, it IS an awesome and well designed vehicle.
Sponsored