First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Karma, 2019 Colorado, 2022 C40 Recharge
Occupation
Retired
After a round of golf with three friends we walk out to the truck, open the back and gear tunnel, put our stuff away, get in, start discussing where to go for lunch, I put my foot on the brake, and lo and behold the dash says, "You must provide a key in order to put the vehicle in D or R."
My key was still in my hand.
A few more pushes on the brake did not change the outcome, so I tell everyone to get out so I can try locking and unlocking again. Of course, my buddies were immediately giving me shit about it, but hey, it's not like I had a choice. After waiting about 10 minutes I unlocked using my key card instead. Everything worked as it's supposed to until I put my foot on the brake and received the same error.
Called Rivian, and they suggested I do a complete shutdown of at least half an hour, so I offered to buy everyone lunch in the clubhouse. After a full hour, no change. The service rep tried a full reboot (left button on steering wheel AND emergency flasher button), but again no change. By this time the rep was trying to figure out how to get four guys with four golf bags home, which was a nice strategy, but we live up in the mountains, about two hours from the service center in Denver, and all I wanted was for my truck to let me drive them home.
Meanwhile my buddies walked over twenty minutes to the nearest bar, where they had a rousing time (at my expense) making fun of my super-duper, all electric, $85k dollar brick.
While waiting in the clubhouse for yet another call back from service, I turned off the bluetooth on my phone. The Rivian app was working normally (very limited, as always) and I had turned it off as a key the first week because of the proximity issues that we're all so aware of.
On a whim I walked out, used the key card to unlock, sat down, put my foot on the brake, and the damn thing worked exactly as it's supposed to. I drove to the bar, put her in Park, turned my phone's bluetooth back on, got out, locked her, and walked inside. Yes, it was risky, but what the hell.
After paying another bar bill, the four of us walked out and everything worked perfectly. I drove all three smartasses home.
The worse part?
This is only the second issue I've had, and the first one (air suspension issue causing the truck to bounce like a lowrider) occurred with the SAME THREE GUYS after another golf outing back in April.
Needless to say I'm no longer the designated driver for golf.
Bottom line: Was bluetooth really the issue, was it timing, was it temp (about 80 outside at the time), was it the truck listening to my friends make fun of her?
I haven't a clue, and neither did the service rep.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The proximity problem has gotten a little better in .19 but still needs some work. Phone as Key has been otherwise flawless for me. So much so that I don't bring the fob with me anywhere.

whereismyr1t

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer
I didn't see it in your troubleshooting but did you hold the keycard up to the drivers door panel when it asked for the key?

OP
OP

PoorDick

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I didn't see it in your troubleshooting but did you hold the keycard up to the drivers door panel when it asked for the key?
Yes, it made no difference. I was rubbing it inside, outside, up, down. Everything with the key fob worked - locking, unlocking, opening tailgate, etc, but would not let me put her in drive.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I take it the Rivian app does not currently allow you to start the truck? I only ask because the Tesla app does and it helps in a pinch in cases when it decides not to detect the key or you forget to grab it.

Sponsored

TripWir3d

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Military
I've found that most of my issues with the truck seem to coincide with high temperatures.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yes, it made no difference. I was rubbing it inside, outside, up, down. Everything with the key fob worked - locking, unlocking, opening tailgate, etc, but would not let me put her in drive.
The key fob doesn't have NFC, so it won't work holding it up to the door like the truck suggests. That's only for the wrist band and key cards

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The key fob doesn't have NFC, so it won't work holding it up to the door like the truck suggests. That's only for the wrist band and key cards
So, maybe it isn't NFC, but I've been putting my key in a faraday pouch and when walking by the vehicle and hear no noise.....take it out of the pouch and something makes noise in front near charge door like a "whirr" for a split second. Wonder what its detecting?

OP
OP

PoorDick

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
It's the NFC card that I was doing all the rubbing with...

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
So, maybe it isn't NFC, but I've been putting my key in a faraday pouch and when walking by the vehicle and hear no noise.....take it out of the pouch and something makes noise in front near charge door like a "whirr" for a split second. Wonder what its detecting?
The FOB uses Bluetooth LE.

Sponsored

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

After a round of golf with three friends we walk out to the truck, open the back and gear tunnel, put our stuff away, get in, start discussing where to go for lunch, I put my foot on the brake, and lo and behold the dash says, "You must provide a key in order to put the vehicle in D or R."
My key was still in my hand.
A few more pushes on the brake did not change the outcome, so I tell everyone to get out so I can try locking and unlocking again. Of course, my buddies were immediately giving me shit about it, but hey, it's not like I had a choice. After waiting about 10 minutes I unlocked using my key card instead. Everything worked as it's supposed to until I put my foot on the brake and received the same error.
Called Rivian, and they suggested I do a complete shutdown of at least half an hour, so I offered to buy everyone lunch in the clubhouse. After a full hour, no change. The service rep tried a full reboot (left button on steering wheel AND emergency flasher button), but again no change. By this time the rep was trying to figure out how to get four guys with four golf bags home, which was a nice strategy, but we live up in the mountains, about two hours from the service center in Denver, and all I wanted was for my truck to let me drive them home.
Meanwhile my buddies walked over twenty minutes to the nearest bar, where they had a rousing time (at my expense) making fun of my super-duper, all electric, $85k dollar brick.
While waiting in the clubhouse for yet another call back from service, I turned off the bluetooth on my phone. The Rivian app was working normally (very limited, as always) and I had turned it off as a key the first week because of the proximity issues that we're all so aware of.
On a whim I walked out, used the key card to unlock, sat down, put my foot on the brake, and the damn thing worked exactly as it's supposed to. I drove to the bar, put her in Park, turned my phone's bluetooth back on, got out, locked her, and walked inside. Yes, it was risky, but what the hell.
After paying another bar bill, the four of us walked out and everything worked perfectly. I drove all three smartasses home.
The worse part?
This is only the second issue I've had, and the first one (air suspension issue causing the truck to bounce like a lowrider) occurred with the SAME THREE GUYS after another golf outing back in April.
Needless to say I'm no longer the designated driver for golf.
Bottom line: Was bluetooth really the issue, was it timing, was it temp (about 80 outside at the time), was it the truck listening to my friends make fun of her?
I haven't a clue, and neither did the service rep.
Sorry to here…want to take me golfing? I like free food and drinks too!!! Weird though…I haven’t used anything BUT my phone since delivery on May 25 no issues whatsoever…I would always start by toggling your BT, if that didn’t do it, close/reopen Rivian app, buy some drinks, try a reboot, curse a lot, then call CS

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Ratfarts!

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I had the same issue yesterday but a hard reset fixed it after trying everything else. Oddly it popped up again a few hours later but without a hard reset it fixed itself a few minutes later. This is with the fob in hand. If this happens again I’m going to be very upset. I get bugs and tonneau covers breaking as part of new car pains but not powertrain/ignition systems.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The proximity problem has gotten a little better in .19 but still needs some work. Phone as Key has been otherwise flawless for me. So much so that I don't bring the fob with me anywhere.
If you have proximity off, does phone as key still work? I seen to remember putting my phone up against the handle or the inside door to unlock once and it vibrated acknowledging NFC. But yesterday I tried moving my car in the driveway and didn't have my key, I tried my phone and it refused to work. Even after turning proximity back on, I could see my contacts and the phone connected to the car, but it still wanted a key.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

If you have proximity off, does phone as key still work? I seen to remember putting my phone up against the handle or the inside door to unlock once and it vibrated acknowledging NFC. But yesterday I tried moving my car in the driveway and didn't have my key, I tried my phone and it refused to work. Even after turning proximity back on, I could see my contacts and the phone connected to the car, but it still wanted a key.
I haven’t had proximity key enabled for months. I do believe that my phone still has worked as a key on multiple occasions.
Sponsored