Sponsored

Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen!

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
The bed rails on the Gladiator here alone look to be no longer than the roof, so I fail to see the need in this case, with short kayaks. Long canoes, yes, I agree with OP, it would be great to have the extra support of using the roof rack points AND an elevated bed rack with matching height.
Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I'd be happy with fixed height racks for the back as long as they are on the same plane as the roof top racks. If Rivian doesn't offer them, I'm hopeful that they will be available aftermarket.

JeepersAlley

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Mod 3, 23 Ford Lightning, 23 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Semi Retired
The bed rails on the Gladiator here alone look to be no longer than the roof, so I fail to see the need in this case, with short kayaks. Long canoes, yes, I agree with OP, it would be great to have the extra support of using the roof rack points AND an elevated bed rack with matching height.
On my Gladiator set up, it allowed me to remove the roof panels and/or entire roof and still carry all my stuff.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Not to detract from the hope for cab-height racks (I definitely want to see those!), but if you don't have kayaks yet and are worried about this, check out Oru Kayaks. They fold into the size of a large piece of luggage and eliminate the roof rack problem (and garage problem) while still being great kayaks. We've been super happy with ours.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Not to detract from the hope for cab-height racks (I definitely want to see those!), but if you don't have kayaks yet and are worried about this, check out Oru Kayaks. They fold into the size of a large piece of luggage and eliminate the roof rack problem (and garage problem) while still being great kayaks. We've been super happy with ours.
Holy crap.

Never heard of those.

I think you just made us "Kayak people"

Sponsored

FranMCG

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
DIY enthusiast, IT
I too have been scheming how to carry my kayaks efficiently. I have an R1T with the RTT on order, and will also order an extra set of cross bars. My plan is to invert my "T-bar" bed extender in the hitch receiver to support the stern of the kayak, and use the roof mounted cross bars to support the bow of the kayak. This will enable me to simultaneously mount the RTT to the bed mounted cross bars, below the kayak. When parked for the overnight camp, kayak and bed extender can be demounted to enable deployment of the RTT and full bed use. Not perfect, but works for me!
Hi, thx for sharing! Really appreciate it! Still can't figure out how to transport big kayaks(13'+ like mine)
Which one do you have? Is it suitable?

Wimberley51

First Name
Donn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F-150, 1978 FJ55
Occupation
App Development
Clubs

Hi, thx for sharing! Really appreciate it! Still can't figure out how to transport big kayaks(13'+ like mine)
Which one do you have? Is it suitable?
I have Hobies. One is 11’ long, the other is 16’ long. I think the 11’ Yak will balance nicely on the cross bars without using the inverted Tbar; it has a flat bottom. The 16’ Yak will definitely need the inverted Tbar.
Time will tell, my R1T is due here Mar / Apr.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
One of the reasons I went for R1S was that I didn’t see a good solution to this problem. I hope if they are working on it, we hear about it in 2022.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I feel this is something Rivian should NOT be focusing on. I realize there are different departments within Rivian and focus on this won't slow down vehicle production, however this is one of those things which should be left to the aftermarket. Provide the basic rack system which will cover 90% of peoples' needs. Let the aftermarket handle the 10%. It won't be a good use of your time/budget.

Think about it objectively. How many people are going to be carrying small things (tents, bikes, skiis/snowboards) vs. how many people are going to be carrying a 20 foot watercraft? I'm in my mid-40s and do a lot of outdoorsy stuff. In my life I've maybe seen someone carrying something similar less than 20 times.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I feel this is something Rivian should NOT be focusing on. I realize there are different departments within Rivian and focus on this won't slow down vehicle production, however this is one of those things which should be left to the aftermarket. Provide the basic rack system which will cover 90% of peoples' needs. Let the aftermarket handle the 10%. It won't be a good use of your time/budget.

Think about it objectively. How many people are going to be carrying small things (tents, bikes, skiis/snowboards) vs. how many people are going to be carrying a 20 foot watercraft? I'm in my mid-40s and do a lot of outdoorsy stuff. In my life I've maybe seen someone carrying something similar less than 20 times.
Bluetooth speakers, flashlights and air pumps are cheap and easily found online but Rivian has included those. They already have worked with the third party on crossbars. The question in this thread is not if they do this type of thing, it is how well they do it. R1T is not F150. It is more about that 10% of use than the 90%. I think it needs to do that 10% well.

Edit, with that short bed, R1T could definitely use a higher crossbar in the back to accommodate the longer items for other 90% uses (Home Depot trips). But I do want it for my 17’ Kayak.

Last edited:

Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Bluetooth speakers, flashlights and air pumps are cheap and easily found online but Rivian has included those. They already have worked with the third party on crossbars. The question in this thread is not if they do this type of thing, it is how well they do it. R1T is not F150. It is more about that 10% of use than the 90%. I think it needs to do that 10% well.

Edit, with that short bed, R1T could definitely use a higher crossbar in the back to accommodate the longer items for other 90% uses (Home Depot trips). But I do want it for my 17’ Kayak.
I don't disagree with you, however:

- Bluetooth speakers which integrate into the car like the Rivian one is not easily copied by the aftermarket. Can you think of nicely integrated BT speakers in ANY car? I can't.
- Flashlights are cheap/easy, but there's hardly any vehicles that have it charging with the car in a slot in the door. But I sort of agree with you on this one, a little gimmicky.
- Air pumps integrated into the vehicle itself? Who else does it? F150, that's it, right? Unless you have a huge compressor sitting in the bed.

Point I was making is they already have track/cross bars. I don't feel the need to put additional focus on making these bars more versatile.

I don't think ANY manufacturer is going to spend significant time trying to satisfy 10% of your user base. That's not a good use of time/budget. They are a business after all. Think of all the people who modify Hondas (I used to be one of them). There are millions. Will Honda cater to a new version of the S2000 to satisfy <10% of the market or continue to concentrate on their economy cars and make billions of dollars?

But I get it. We can agree to disagree. :)

Reactions: Max

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
- Bluetooth speakers which integrate into the car like the Rivian one is not easily copied by the aftermarket. Can you think of nicely integrated BT speakers in ANY car? I can't.
GMC has a "Kicker" branded speaker in their tailgate. Different than what Rivian is doing, but in the same vein, imo.

Jeep has a bluetooth speaker option with the Gladiator. It isn't as well executed as Rivian, but it's more similar than the GMC.

But I think your point is still valid... The aftermarket does many things well, but not all things should be left to the aftermarket.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Thanks for this - something else I didn't know I needed! Those are wicked cool.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@shamoo. I understand your point and somewhat agree with the concept of finalizing the builds for the 90% before focusing on the 10%. I also think 10% is significantly understating the market for racks spaced greater than 36" apart. My WAG is would put it around 30%. I believe the take rate for the $5K camp kitchen is nearly 10% (someone can check me on that?) even RJ was surprised. Again I'm fine with them not being available initially but hope they offer them at least in 2023.