Sponsored

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Man, @jebinc, I could not find that matt at any Home Depot anywhere. IN fact, that section of the store I went to looked like it hadn't been stocked in years.

What I found instead was 1/4" rubber stable matting from Coastal Farm and Ranch. I bought 5' for $39.95, trimmed it up and I think it'll work out just fine. Somebody else mentioned using 3/4" stable Matt but jeez, I think that would be way too unwieldy.

Here it is:

Rivian R1T R1S Jebinc’s rubber bed liner mod tempImage0YOXLK

Somebody else mentioned using 3/4" stable matt but jeez, I think that would be way too unwieldy.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnnyRocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Porsche 911 C4S, 2022 Rivian R1T
Yes, as mentioned above. Between the link, pictures and write up in post#1, you shouldn’t have a problem finding it in the store.
Thank you for this info. Found it in the rug/mat section for $39. Cut it to 53” and fits looks great!

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I got the mat yesterday at my local Home Depot for $39 as well. Haven’t cut it or done anything yet, but i at least found one. Step in the right direction. Haha.

Flabirder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model S P100DL
Seriously though, someone needs to come up with a solution involving a bed liner mat that accommodates the additional 1 and 1/2 to 2 ft additional bed area when the tailgate is laid down.

Peace
The 4' x 6' one in the OP does that for me.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Ok, so I finally cut/installed my mat. I did change things up a little bit to meet my preferences.

I installed the mat originally with the textured side up, but then thought that the cover is not 100% water tight, so I wanted the mat to be able to shed water the easiest to keep water from sitting back there. This is me being OCD and over thinking things. With the mat “upside down” it blends in pretty well with the bed as well.

I cut the mat to length, but wanted all of the factory drain channels fully exposed….again me over thinking things. I then notched the front of the mat so it was still to length, but also left a lot of the front drain channel open.

Once the mat heats up and relaxes, then it will lay flat in the bed.

Rivian R1T R1S Jebinc’s rubber bed liner mod C21A4E5A-683F-4746-8E92-03FD26EFD292
Rivian R1T R1S Jebinc’s rubber bed liner mod 345E9305-E5F6-45D6-BD42-DBD5CB08540D

Sponsored

Black Armour

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blackarmourbedmats.com
Vehicles
3.5L EcoBoost
Great item. Just picked one up. Just be careful it’s not damaged. I had to go thru three at Home Depot before I found one not damaged.

22ED6168-5873-4EF8-9BA5-65F2960EC3B3.jpeg

7A4E2A5C-8265-4273-B612-4615A0FC7D9E.jpeg

7F3BAF5F-936C-4FAA-8201-9244A119BBF6.jpeg

So I can explain what's happening here, and what the difference is between the $30 home depot mat and ours. This is a difference between Polyurethane binding and Vulcanization.

Polyurethane binding basically takes the rubber particles and glues them together, in doing this leaves voids and gaps, but a couple of downsides to those gaps. First, you have a much higher chance of exactly what's shown here, not all of the rubber granules got coated and they didn't bond. Another issue is that being porous, these mats will absorb and hold liquids. If you spill oil/water/blood?? :) This mat will hold all of that and you can not get it out.

Now, a vulcanized mat is completely different. We take the same rubber granules and re-vulcanize (melt) the rubber molecules back together. The mat becomes a solid non-porous rubber sheet. You can spill pretty much anything on there and just wipe it up. The trade-off is that we can't go as thin as the polyurethane mats, but.... is that really a bad thing?? ;)

If you guys have any questions I'd love to help answer them.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
So I can explain what's happening here, and what the difference is between the $30 home depot mat and ours. This is a difference between Polyurethane binding and Vulcanization.

Polyurethane binding basically takes the rubber particles and glues them together, in doing this leaves voids and gaps, but a couple of downsides to those gaps. First, you have a much higher chance of exactly what's shown here, not all of the rubber granules got coated and they didn't bond. Another issue is that being porous, these mats will absorb and hold liquids. If you spill oil/water/blood?? :) This mat will hold all of that and you can not get it out.

Now, a vulcanized mat is completely different. We take the same rubber granules and re-vulcanize (melt) the rubber molecules back together. The mat becomes a solid non-porous rubber sheet. You can spill pretty much anything on there and just wipe it up. The trade-off is that we can't go as thin as the polyurethane mats, but.... is that really a bad thing?? ;)

If you guys have any questions I'd love to help answer them.
Thanks for the insight. These mats are designed to be outdoor weather mats. I have had several for many years that have not broken down or look like those pictures. I believe the root cause of that mess is improper shipping, handling and storage. For $29, these mats a great inexpensive bed mat for the truck.

Mfurman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Would one be able to drive an ATV into the bed on top of the these mats? or would the tires rip them up?

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Would one be able to drive an ATV into the bed on top of the these mats? or would the tires rip them up?
Absolutely. They are large meant for the outdoors door mats. Ground up and vulcanized rubber tires, I presume.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

R2D2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMWX5, Land Rover LR3, Volvo XC90, Jeep JK,
Clubs

I went ahead and got one but you can tell is going to crumble away in a mater of a few months. You can’t beat the price though.

Rivian R1T R1S Jebinc’s rubber bed liner mod A21648CE-5A98-419C-8F7D-C007DE045B8F

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I went ahead and got one but you can tell is going to crumble away in a mater of a few months. You can’t beat the price though.

A21648CE-5A98-419C-8F7D-C007DE045B8F.jpeg
I got mine in October 2022; still holding up like new, and I use the bed. Maybe others who purchased last fall can comment on how theirs is holding up.
Sponsored

Last edited: