Sponsored

Nope or Dope?

• Total voters

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
i know you shouldn't have to, but would sanding the bottom down a bit help with stud fitment?
Maybe. I don't love the idea of destructively modifying the pin. I am also concerned this will dramatically weaken the part and reduce it's ability to carry load.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
From my conversations with another vendor, those "four different types" vary only in the exterior style/dimensions. The interior track dimensions relevant to accessories should not deviate.
Interesting.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Maybe. I don't love the idea of destructively modifying the pin. I am also concerned this will dramatically weaken the part and reduce it's ability to carry load.
I thought it was a hook for grocery bag use?

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Guys,

Our L-Track fittings are designed to use 'metal' post L-Track accessories. Should be no problem using the include rings we provide, or any other L-Track accessories that use 'metal' posts.

The plastic post above is thicker indeed. If we make the slot to accept the plastic post, the fitting will be loose and more prone to 'rattling'. Right now, our fittings are as close to rattle free as possible. The trade-off is the plastic post will need filed down as mentioned.

We have updated the listing to warn that plastic L-Track post components are not compatible.

Thanks again!

CommodoreAmiga if you like, we can modify the fitting you have to make it work, we'll retrofit a metal pin for you.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I thought it was a hook for grocery bag use?
Yes, pretty much.

But the hook is plastic, so it needs to retain some "meat" on the pin to hold any weight, I would think. I could see how sanding them down to less than the thickness of a quarter is going to be problematic.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
CommodoreAmiga if you like, we can modify the fitting you have to make it work, we'll retrofit a metal pin for you.
That's an interesting idea. I don't have the hooks with me at the office, but when I get home I'll look at them and see if I can swap the metal pin from one of your ring fittings to the hook. If that works then I can live with that.

Thanks.

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

That's an interesting idea. I don't have the hooks with me at the office, but when I get home I'll look at them and see if I can swap the metal pin from one of your ring fittings to the hook. If that works then I can live with that.

Thanks.
Okay great, let me know. I think the 'hook' can be cut from the plastic pin. Then cut the 'ring' off ours, and use a bolt of some sort to connect the hook to our metal pin part.

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes, pretty much.

But the hook is plastic, so it needs to retain some "meat" on the pin to hold any weight, I would think. I could see how sanding them down to less than the thickness of a quarter is going to be problematic.
Why not just use a rubberized “S” hook, with the provided loops, for those odd occasions - rather than going through all of this hook rework with @EV Sportline?

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_7828

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Why not just use a rubberized “S” hook, with the provided loops, for those odd occasions - rather than going through all of this hook rework with @EV Sportline?
Because those hooks are going to get lost or jostled off the rings when not in use. A semi-permanent fixture is preferable.

I would be more likely to use a carabiner rather than a s-hook. Actually, that was my original idea before I found the L-track hook and decided a native implementation was ideal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Because those hooks are going to get lost or jostled off the rings when not in use. A semi-permanent fixture is preferable.

I would be more likely to use a carabiner rather than a s-hook. Actually, that was my original idea before I found the L-track hook and decided a native implementation was ideal.
I was thinking about pulling out the S hook on those rare occasions, not leave it dangling in the loop.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I was thinking about pulling out the S hook on those rare occasions, not leave it dangling in the loop.
First world problem, I know... But I like the idea of a hook just being there when I need it and not having to store it somewhere and fish it out when I need it. Just put the bag on the hook and go.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I love this thread 😀🫱🍿

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Okay, time to bring it full circle.

As suggested, I did some fabri-cobbling and made some frankenhooks. Overall, I consider the operation a success.

I originally thought it was excessive for EVSportline to include 16 fittings, but now that I've sacrified four of them, I'm glad they did.

I tried with both the aluminum extruded retainers from the EVSportline fittings as well as the plastic retainers from Mac's and found the Mac's design to be more comfortable and to have a better fit in the L-track. One change I may make, in the future, is the addition of a small-diameter washer between the spring and j-hook. But for now, this is a servicable solution.

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback and suggestions.

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_1598

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_1599

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_1600

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_1604

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_1607

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_1608
Sponsored