January/Feb delivery windows

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Has anyone been contacted because even if you were due to get a vehicle in late February I would expect you to have been contacted to confirm the build. I would soon expect the March/April people to hear too.
No.
Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I expect things will get hot and heavy around Valentines Day…
I would not expect anything until the end of February with a massive movement first - second week of March intime for their March earnings reporting.

But hey, Rivian might actually surprise us all by actually meeting one of their timelines :D

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Has anyone been contacted because even if you were due to get a vehicle in late February I would expect you to have been contacted to confirm the build. I would soon expect the March/April people to hear too.
You are assuming that Rivian is waiting for people to confirm their builds before they start production of their truck. I don't think that has to be the case. Rivian is probably already building the Jan/Feb trucks and will contact people when it's almost done. But that's just my speculation.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I think this will be the real test if they can meet their deadlines for all of the delivery estimates we got. It will be a bad sign if people in the January-February timelines don’t get contacted or deliveries by the end of February.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

You are assuming that Rivian is waiting for people to confirm their builds before they start production of their truck. I don't think that has to be the case. Rivian is probably already building the Jan/Feb trucks and will contact people when it's almost done. But that's just my speculation.
I thought it had been mentioned before that Rivian would contact people to lock down the vehicle (paint, interior and wheels). In addition it takes some time to get insurance and financing. So it is not unreasonable to say 14-30 days notice, rather than "Hi, we will deliver your truck tomorrow". It was also mentioned about delivery pickup or delivery at home, again Rivian would need some notice to schedule that. Therefore many people (if not all) in this delivery window should have been contacted if things are on track. Time will tell what approach it is.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
this strikes me as unduly optimistic. Rivian doesn’t need to worry about selling vehicles to *someone*, no matter the configuration.

But any individual purchase takes at least some time and planning. At the very least Rivian does not know until after it speaks to Jan/Feb people if those specific individuals need time to sell old vehicles, get financing, insurance and other details squared away. Hell, Rivian doesn’t know if they moved and forgot to update their address!

so it does not make sense to wave away those concerns just because there’s an order backlog or because they are trivial to many.

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
My understanding is that they have a specific set of configurations that will build in a specific order. They will build those configurations regardless of what an individual buyer has configured. They will then offer a specific vehicle to the next person in line with that exact configuration and, if that buyer declines or modifies their configuration, they move to the next person in the queue.

This understanding comes from dozens of conversations with my Guide and the fact that he told me I likely won't know they are building my truck until it is already built.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I thought it had been mentioned before that Rivian would contact people to lock down the vehicle (paint, interior and wheels). In addition it takes some time to get insurance and financing. So it is not unreasonable to say 14-30 days notice, rather than "Hi, we will deliver your truck tomorrow". It was also mentioned about delivery pickup or delivery at home, again Rivian would need some notice to schedule that. Therefore many people (if not all) in this delivery window should have been contacted if things are on track. Time will tell what approach it is.
I think the expectation should be about three weeks prior to delivery to start the process. That's about what Lucid has been doing and is plenty to get things in order. I also think everyone should add a few month buffer to their delivery window as a real possibility (it's just as likely to miss the window as it is to hit it). All of these were given prior to massive labor disruptions from Omicron over the last few weeks (just look at airports, parents filling in as substitute teachers, etc. it's everywhere), in addition to them just not having everything together enough yet to be precise as we've seen.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
My understanding is that they have a specific set of configurations that will build in a specific order. They will build those configurations regardless of what an individual buyer has configured. They will then offer a specific vehicle to the next person in line with that exact configuration and, if that buyer declines or modifies their configuration, they move to the next person in the queue.

This understanding comes from dozens of conversations with my Guide and the fact that he told me I likely won't know they are building my truck until it is already built.
I think that's right. It's not hard to find the next person who wants a Blue truck on 20's with black interior, for example. They may just need to lock it in before shipping it somewhere, but even then the odds are high there is somewhere else in the same location with the same config, but they will know all that.

Sponsored

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Who the hell knows, but the idea that people need 14-30 days notice seems like a lot. I'm sure a lot of us have bought a vehicle in a matter of hours from walking into a dealer (secured financing and insurance). It's really not that complicated. I'm not implying they're only going to give you an hour or a day - but I don't think you need that much time to get things in order. A week would seem more than enough.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I think the expectation should be about three weeks prior to delivery to start the process. That's about what Lucid has been doing and is plenty to get things in order. I also think everyone should add a few month buffer to their delivery window as a real possibility (it's just as likely to miss the window as it is to hit it). All of these were given prior to massive labor disruptions from Omicron over the last few weeks (just look at airports, parents filling in as substitute teachers, etc. it's everywhere), in addition to them just not having everything together enough yet to be precise as we've seen.
These dates were given when Omicron was known and the Adventure dates were given late December when Omicron was in full swing.

As for configurations there are over a hundred with paint, wheel and interior. Other companies check ahead of time what is required, check address and payment details. So those getting deliveries in Feb should have heard. Time will tell.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Who the hell knows, but the idea that people need 14-30 days notice seems like a lot. I'm sure a lot of us have bought a vehicle in a matter of hours from walking into a dealer (secured financing and insurance). It's really not that complicated. I'm not implying they're only going to give you an hour or a day - but I don't think you need that much time to get things in order. A week would seem more than enough.
You were buying from a dealer with a car in stock to drive off with. Rivian need to know where to deliver it. So at least a week would seem reasonable and there is no reason why they cannot plan ahead a few weeks. They should have a good idea of their build schedule for Q1. Why just everything he last minute and unplanned or uncommunicated with this company?

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

How long does it take to build a truck? Is it a one day thing? Figure 2 weeks to ship it?

Just trying to get an idea of a work back schedule - figure it's got to be at least 3-4 weeks, right? Maybe longer?

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm

So you are basically saying that reservation timing means absolutely nothing if you want the vehicle you configured and not the vehicle Rivian has available to send you.
Sponsored