It's May....

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Call me crazy (I know you will!) but I am kind of glad I am not one of the first couple hundred orders. I will gladly let some of the worst manufacturing bugs get worked out before I take my delivery.

If I cant be number 1 off the line, I am happy to be number "several hundred and one". But thats me.
Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
It's incredibly frustrating. I just took a glance at the Hummer EV page to see what kind of information they're sharing on the truck which comes out significantly later than the Rivian is supposed to. My recommendation, don't make the same mistake. It'll make you curse out loud.

I learned 10x more details on the Hummer in a 2 minute review of the website than I have in 2 years following Rivian as close as is humanly possible.
-Detailed info and videos/pics of all the cool features? Check
-Detailed multiple views of paint and interior options? Check
-Close-up view of things like infotainment, underbody protection, back-seat folding, etc? Check
-How all the cameras are used and associated features? Check
-Detailed photos of almost every part of the interior and exterior? Check

UGH.
I agree completely that waiting for Rivian specification to be confirmed is incredibly frustrating. I have to agree with Ducrider regarding GM's info on the hummer EV. Gm has not confirmed a larger volume of specifications than Rivian. Anyone who relies on unconfirmed specifications with clear disclaimers listed, any product any manufacture, is setting themselves up for disappointment and regret. Just out of curiosity what is the claimed efficiency (wh/ mile, mile/KWH) for that monstrosity? I'm imagining it will be very lousy.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Just asked if Guides will be reaching out in the next week or closer to the end of the month. They said in the next week as training is just about wrapped up.
Rivian R1T R1S It's May.... 1620229041764

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Call me crazy (I know you will!) but I am kind of glad I am not one of the first couple hundred orders. I will gladly let some of the worst manufacturing bugs get worked out before I take my delivery.

If I cant be number 1 off the line, I am happy to be number "several hundred and one". But thats me.
I am towards the end of the LE R1T pack and perfectly happy with that. As a matter of fact, I want Rivian to wrap it and leave it in my driveway for Christmas Morning!

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I agree completely that waiting for Rivian specification to be confirmed is incredibly frustrating. I have to agree with Ducrider regarding GM's info on the hummer EV. Gm has not confirmed a larger volume of specifications than Rivian. Anyone who relies on unconfirmed specifications with clear disclaimers listed, any product any manufacture, is setting themselves up for disappointment and regret. Just out of curiosity what is the claimed efficiency (wh/ mile, mile/KWH) for that monstrosity? I'm imagining it will be very lousy.
Hummer SUT is estimated at 1.75 mile/KW, or 570w/mile for the Tesla folks. Efficiency does not mean much, it is bigger and heavier than the Rivian, so yes it will be less efficient. If you are not into big trucks, then obviously it is not for you.

When the Rivian is finally in production this summer, it will be the least efficient EV on the market, until this fall when the Hummer comes out. Does that mean you should not buy one? I am also confident that when the F-150 EV and the Silverado EV come out they will be closer to the Rivian efficiency, because the weight and size will be similar.

Neither Rivian or GM has an EPA range rating yet, they are both in the same boat. By the end of this year we will know the EPA ranges and that will provide a more direct comparison. The Ultium battery in the Hummer SUT will be ~200KWH, and the SUV will be ~165KWH, That is a bigger battery than the Rivian, in order to make up for the heavier weight.

Sponsored

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

As the old saying goes, "The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!" I, too, am glad to be an order-holder from few months after the L.A. Auto Show. I like my cars like I like my tent, bug-free...

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

In case Rivian is monitoring this site, my cell phone is charged and I'm ready for my Guide to call. May is almost 14 hours old and I'm still waiting.....?

The sucky part of this plan is that I'll have to answer every call I receive between now and my Guide's call. Assuming that takes place in mid-May, the over/under line on calls from Bangalore to sell me either an extended car warranty or Supplemental Medicare insurance is 85 calls (and I'm not even old enough yet for Medicare!).

I'll take the over....
I'll be damned if I didn't get four of those extended warranty calls yesterday alone. One was while sitting naked in my Dermatolgist's office. Awkward, but she understood.....

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

As the old saying goes, "The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!" I, too, am glad to be an order-holder from few months after the L.A. Auto Show. I like my cars like I like my tent, bug-free...
I think there will be extra time & care put into the first +/- 1K vehicles, and assume they will be better about QA at lower production volumes.

Personally, I feel better about being earlier than later. Plus, I doubt there will be substantial process improvements and/or design changes from the first month to the 6th month. Who knows though, I guess we'll see...

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
I think there will be extra time & care put into the first +/- 1K vehicles, and assume they will be better about QA at lower production volumes.

Personally, I feel better about being earlier than later. Plus, I doubt there will be substantial process improvements and/or design changes from the first month to the 6th month. Who knows though, I guess we'll see...
I have confidence in Rivian as far as startups go. They have put a lot of Captured Test Fleet vehicles on the road for quite awhile now. Some of the EV companies are not as careful. I'm driving one of them... ;)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I agree wholeheartedly with the quality being very high in the early, low production volume days. I really think they will put out very solid R1Ts right off the bat. That said, and thanks to the pandemic, your second-to-last sentence could read "....and/or design changes from the 13th month to the 18th month" and still be correct. I'm not blaming Rivian, but this wait has been a drag.

irish26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I am super optimistic that deliveries will begin in June. We are less than a month away from that promise and I feel it is too late to announce a delay.

I've been through delayed product launches on the company side, there is a certain balancing act between announcing your delay too early and risking cancelled orders with announcing your delay too late and having very angry customers. I believe we have eclipsed that window of opportunity that Rivian had to announce a delay.
Sponsored