Sponsored

Issue with Snow Mode turning off automatically

Stretch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vivian ('23 R1S) & Sparky ('23 R1T)
Hi all,

Curious whether anyone else has had issues with their R1S defaulting back into All Purpose from Snow Mode? I've been at a ski resort with heavy snow all weekend and nearly every time I get back into the vehicle, I have to reselect Snow Mode as it has switched back into All Purpose.

Thanks for any info!
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Hi all,

Curious whether anyone else has had issues with their R1S defaulting back into All Purpose from Snow Mode? I've been at a ski resort with heavy snow all weekend and nearly every time I get back into the vehicle, I have to reselect Snow Mode as it has switched back into All Purpose.

Thanks for any info!
Yep. Happens with other drive modes too.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Only happens with off-road modes (of which Rivan deems Snow mode to be).

TR4

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T dual drive
Occupation
retired
Yes I have had that happen a lot but I have been having trouble with the suspension warning light coming on which locks it in all purpose and you can't return to snow mode.

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

yes and I do not want it to happen…..want to stay in snow mode as it is a more comfortable braking around town. How can we get it to stay in the mode we want? Thx JB

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes and I do not want it to happen…..want to stay in snow mode as it is a more comfortable braking around town. How can we get it to stay in the mode we want? Thx JB
You can't, if your desired mode is deemed off-road.

OP
OP
Stretch

Stretch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vivian ('23 R1S) & Sparky ('23 R1T)
Thanks everyone for the replies.

This seems like a safety issue for those of us who spend a lot of time in the snow. It's a real pain to remember to switch it into snow mode when you've only gotten out of the car for a few minutes and then jump back in to drive again. I often don't notice that it's switched out of snow mode until the regen hits and makes things squirrelly.

That said, my R1S does do excellent in the snow!

I'd suggest that we all submit an enhancement request through the app for a software upgrade that gives the option to "lock-in" a drive mode unless manually changed.

Cheers,

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Thanks everyone for the replies.

This seems like a safety issue for those of us who spend a lot of time in the snow. It's a real pain to remember to switch it into snow mode when you've only gotten out of the car for a few minutes and then jump back in to drive again. I often don't notice that it's switched out of snow mode until the regen hits and makes things squirrelly.

That said, my R1S does do excellent in the snow!

I'd suggest that we all submit an enhancement request through the app for a software upgrade that gives the option to "lock-in" a drive mode unless manually changed.

Cheers,
It should only be switching out of snow mode once per day. It should not be switching mid-day when getting in and out.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It drops out of snow mode because it would otherwise be required to test in for EPA range. Rivian won't change the behavior, since the range numbers would be appreciable worse. Blame the EPA.

Sponsored

hayduke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian won't change the behavior, since the range numbers would be appreciable worse. Blame the EPA.
interesting! pretty sure this wasn’t true last winter. it was a big one and i’m pretty sure i spent weeks at a go in snow mode and don’t remember having to switch back.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

interesting! pretty sure this wasn’t true last winter. it was a big one and i’m pretty sure i spent weeks at a go in snow mode and don’t remember having to switch back.
I think it got overlooked when they introduced it in the first place. When the next model year vehicles went in for EPA testing it had to get changed.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

That sucks for people with months of winter. I have never owned a 4wd vehicle that just switches back to 2wd but that is what is happening to dual motor owners and front wheel drive at that. That being said I also thought it takes a day to reset. If it is happening after walking out the grocery store, that is downright hazardous.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That sucks for people with months of winter. I have never owned a 4wd vehicle that just switches back to 2wd but that is what is happening to dual motor owners and front wheel drive at that. That being said I also thought it takes a day to reset. If it is happening after walking out the grocery store, that is downright hazardous.
No, it isn't reverting to FWD. At worst, it's shifting to auto 4WD on Dual Motor versions, and 4WD on Quads.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

No, it isn't reverting to FWD. At worst, it's shifting to auto 4WD on Dual Motor versions, and 4WD on Quads.
The dual drives in front wheel drive over 90% of the time in all purpose mode. The whole point of driving in snow and ice is not breaking traction because the coefficient of friction immediately drops. The snow cables on the rear wheels also become kind of worthless in fwd. Having the Regen switch back to dry mode is also hazardous.
Sponsored