First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I believe the story was that they were working on figuring out how to stop it from doing wheelies, not that they were scrapping the ultra high performance trim.
SImple solution. Equip it with factory installed wheelie bars like the Little Red Wagon. Heck, Rivian likes to automate stuff like the vents, so they could autodeploy wheelie bars at full throttle. Add a camera under the truck to see the road, and via the steering wheel, adjust power to the rear wheels to steer. Drive all day - "Little Red Rivian"!
Rivian R1T R1S 'Internal rumors' from my mobile service tech (800V, LFP, new quad motor variant & more!) 1701878510976
Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Those knowledgeable on batteries, would it be feasible or advantageous to create a hybrid pack consisting of LFP and Lithium-ion cells?

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I was thinking that the tech told OP these rumors to see if it would show up on this forum. :D
The way it works is the COMPANY tells the techs the rumors - all different ones - and then they see which end up on forums like this, and that's how they know who can't keep their mouth shut and gets let go next qtr...

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I'm down for a quad enduro max pack once the order banks open up. Probably gonna have to sell my soul to afford it but don't care.

Sponsored

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Whatever the rumors are, yes it's good to have some blue sky thinkers looking at what comes next, but I hope Rivian don't lose sight of 'what comes now'.

Halo products are all well and good (Raptor R, RAM TRX etc) but they ain't what makes the $ (just look at Tesla). I hope Rivian have a team looking at also simplifying options on the R1 architecture as well as the R2 delivery. This is where Rivian is going to make its fortune.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE

obababoy

First Name
Chilbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 LR Discovery, 2011 WRX/STI, 2021 Palisade
Occupation
Cyber
Clubs

I lose 1% a day like clockwork. I've also had several 3-5 mile legs where I'll lose 5%+ battery, which the conspiracy theorist in me believes is actually delayed reporting of vampire drain.
This could be but it definitely doesnt go down at night. The inherent negative there is that my efficiency wont be as good since the battery will be colder.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Whatever the rumors are, yes it's good to have some blue sky thinkers looking at what comes next, but I hope Rivian don't lose sight of 'what comes now'.

Halo products are all well and good (Raptor R, RAM TRX etc) but they ain't what makes the $ (just look at Tesla). I hope Rivian have a team looking at also simplifying options on the R1 architecture as well as the R2 delivery. This is where Rivian is going to make its fortune.
That is a great point. 1200 hp super trucks are cool but that isn't what will keep them in business. I've heard they are also considering selling a DM version that mostly sounds like the "Explorer" trim they originally offered. It would be more value oriented. I truly hope they do that as well...

I also hope there is a truck version of the R2 line in the pipe. I love having a truck but I would go even smaller than my R1T if that were an option. 99% of the time it's just me or me and a couple dogs/ bikes/ etc. in my truck...

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo XC90, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Selfless supporter of the economy
Clubs

Over the weekend, I told my wife that the Rivian could be the last car I ever buy.

She laughed at me. But I was serious.

Now reading this, I can still say that “a” Rivian would be the last car I ever buy, but it may be an 800V, longer-range, 1200HP quad motor Rivian vs. my pitiful, simple and slow R1T QM.
I'm down for a quad enduro max pack once the order banks open up. Probably gonna have to sell my soul to afford it but don't care.
If the rumors do turn out to be true, I'm going to have to go through the painful transition to "adult," and admit that 0-60 in 3 seconds is probably adequate 😔

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
While I agree that the money maker is in producing volume cars toward the middle of the market, I think it’s important for a brand to have a market leading halo product that’s attainable. It draws people in, markets the Rivian brand as technology leading, and enables Rivian’s charging a premium.

Which I think it’s crucial for the Rivian brand. Otherwise, you’re competing against the Toyotas with a much much smaller budget.

Reactions: MGA

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I literally have almost zero vampire drain on my 2023 with ~23000 vin. Left outside in 40 degree weather over night and didnt lose 1 mile. I think there are other issues going on with some people and the drain.
I'm actually worried the drain might be a few bad cells in the pack. Eeek.....

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Wait, I can also hot swap out the wife?

Sweet baby jesus.
Sure, if you can convince her to swing. Try your luck at asking. I'm not sure which answer would be worse though her saying no or yes. In my view yes would most likely be the bad answer.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Those knowledgeable on batteries, would it be feasible or advantageous to create a hybrid pack consisting of LFP and Lithium-ion cells?
I faintly remember someone proposing that for a proof of concept pack. I suspect it presents a lot of challenges though.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
A little bit. Google tells me LFP is a 3.2 volt cell, Lithium Ion is a 3.6 volt cell. Assuming this is true, mixing cells in a pack will be a challenge. In general, all the cells in a pack should be identical voltage and chemistry. Otherwise, charging becomes a problem because charging must be at a specific voltage/curve for a specific cell chemistry. Mixing means one or the other is over, or under charged in a mixed pack, unless some additional circuitry is implemented to manage mixed voltage charging. Not really desirable, I think.
Sponsored