First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
  • Rivian did not want you to have this information and you should take every opportunity to crap on Rivian for not providing this data in the first place, like every other car manufacturer on the planet.
Thanks so much for providing this essential owner information that Rivian has no reason for keeping from owners of all people!

In addition... the design is an absolute mess from a practicality standpoint.
For some reason, it uses three different fuse profiles (referring to the physical dimensions of the fuse, not it's electrical value) making it super inconvenient for owners to keep a good assortment of spares handy without having to keep literally a couple dozen on hand to cover all sizes in all values.

Let's see how long this thread remains before the "takedown" request comes down from HQ.

If you value this information, save it to your own computer before it's gone folks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Hmmm, now if I could only figure out which ones are the ambient lighting. It's random I know but I want that dash board ambient lighting off but I want the footwell and cubby hole lighting on.

electruck4x4

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Electruck4x4.com
Vehicles
'22 R1T VIN 2xx, '19 Model 3, '70 Blazer
Not sure which "rear 12V outlet" you popped, but the fuses for the 12V outlets are located on the Driver's side fuse panel as follows:
  1. F46 = 12V Port #1
  2. F51 = 12V Port #2
  3. F54 = 12V Port #3 (GearGuard/Rear Tunnel)
  4. F59 = 12V Port (R1T-GearGuard/R1S Luggage)
1669418150379.png
Your next task after you pull the fuse will be to find an MTA vendor who carries that particular part. (The 12v plugs are not a traditional ATC blade fuse). Depending on the amperage you need, this may help: https://www.connectorid.com/products/mta-0702920-b-maxicompact-20a-fuse?_pos=2&_sid=d89d8f1ce&_ss=r

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
So what possessed Rivian to use these impossible to find (in any automotive parts store or even on Amazon or Ebay) fuses? You will pretty much need to get replacement fuses directly from a Rivian SC if they will even sell you one without a booking service appointment where they will change the fuse for you. Seems like an incredible poor idea for a roadside repair option... especially for an "adventure" vehicle that is intended to be used miles from civilization.

The largest (physical size fuses) look like MTA brand "M8Compact".
The mid size fuses look like MTA brand "MaxiCompact".
The smallest size fuses look like some variety of standard automotive fuse?

https://cv.egelectronics.com/products/circuit-protection/automotive-fuses/

Has anyone taken a photo of the Driver Side fuse box?

Last edited:

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
So would I be able to tap into a fuse to wire in my 50W Midland GMRS radio, or best to go straight to the battery?

Sponsored

electruck4x4

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Electruck4x4.com
Vehicles
'22 R1T VIN 2xx, '19 Model 3, '70 Blazer
So would I be able to tap into a fuse to wire in my 50W Midland GMRS radio, or best to go straight to the battery?
I’m sure you COULD. That said, IMHO, I’d go straight to the battery for simplicity sake.

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I’m sure you COULD. That said, IMHO, I’d go straight to the battery for simplicity sake.
That's what I'm leaning towards. I did find where the firewall passthrough is. Now I need to figure out how to remove the lower center dash panel.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
... and because good luck finding a replacement fuse if you blow the one you tapped in to!

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

So what possessed Rivian to use these impossible to find (in any automotive parts store or even on Amazon or Ebay) fuses?
Profit, if I had to guess. Maybe the manufacturer of the unobtainium fuses gave Rivian a good deal on the fuse blocks. A variation on the free razor with expensive blades model.

Maybe Rivian thought being the single source for parts was a good revenue stream.

Maybe these saved a little money and the engineers figured the likelihood of blowing a fuse on a modern car was low so why worry about finding readily-available replacements.

I’m not sure we’ll ever know the rationale.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
^ Even more odd than their choice of fuse type/vendor and lack of circuit description on the fuse block cover is the omission of the very word "fuse" from the owners manual?
Before R1T's were actually being delivered... I honestly thought Rivian took the Tesla route of going fuse-less because there was no mention of fuse, fuses or fuse block(s) in the owners manual.

Rivian has made some strange choices.. one-off rim sizes that are mostly impossible to get aftermarket, infotainment that 100% needs cell reception to function, unproven tonneau system that has failed miserable, half-shafts that are noisy and failing, the choice to use two tiny 12V AGM batteries that have been failing, thin glass roof and windshield, etc.. but this fuse system design takes the cake. Something that is a common 15 cent replacement part in all other automobiles and that can be found virtually anywhere in the country is unobtainable on a Rivian unless you book a service appointment at a SC that could be 300 miles away. Absolutely asinine decision...

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sonartech

Sonartech

First Name
Sonar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Canyon Red R1S, Hyundai IONIC 5, Ford Lightning
Occupation
Battery Systems Engineer
Clubs

All these tiny cuts are adding up, too. "Death by a thousand cuts"... My 3-hour preorder for an R1S that's now due sometime late next year is starting to look and feel like more of a pain in the ass than it's going to be worth. There's going to be several other options available on the market by the time my R1S ever sees my driveway, and this is looking more and more like an opportunity to Flip-for-Profit than it is a Drive-for-Fun option. These electric car CEO's (Elon included) sure make some bad decisions for being as "smart" as they are. I guess being 'educated' does not necessarily mean you're intelligent - something that Elon Musk reminds me of hourly...

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
All these tiny cuts are adding up, too. "Death by a thousand cuts"...
Yup, exactly my point... they have made some really questionable choices that when added up put a large burden on the owner and clearly diminish the ownership experience. Many here knock the old line established auto manufacturers and in some cases deservedly so, but sometimes there is wisdom sticking with convention. A point which Rivian has clearly missed by seemingly going out of their way just to be different.

Not to belabor the point, but why on earth did they not stick with common, conventional 15 cent fuses that literally every other auto manufacturer use? Fuses, of all things to go out of your way to be different with? A part that by their very nature are meant to be inexpensive, disposable and easily replaceable by the vehicle owner... not by only a SC that charges $200/hr and could be hundreds of miles away for a good portion of your owner base. They were supposedly a "clean sheet design" so with no restraints why choose impossible to get fuses for your system vs. designing in an off the shelf, super common, super economical part that everybody else has been using without issue (or second thought) for decades?

It would be interesting to see Sandy Munroe blow a fuse in his R1T out on the road somewhere. I guess Munroe and Assoc. haven't dug in to the Rivian electrical system yet. I'd love to hear their thoughts on those fuse boxes and fuses o_O

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

It would be interesting to see Sandy Munroe blow a fuse
Why? He’s Working for the Clampdown now, he could probably take a bath in spare fusen.

CotoR1TDude

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

That's what I'm leaning towards. I did find where the firewall passthrough is. Now I need to figure out how to remove the lower center dash panel.
Can you help with where the pass through is? I'm assuming this is for the coax cable? What is your hesitation tapping into the 12v plug with an anderson adapter? It's putting out enough voltage ~13.6v and with the 15 amps don't you think it would make it easier (and portable)? Really interested in your thoughts on this. I've been trying to figure this out too. Nothing back from my guide, from reading this thread seems very concerning.

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Can you help with where the pass through is? I'm assuming this is for the coax cable? What is your hesitation tapping into the 12v plug with an anderson adapter? It's putting out enough voltage ~13.6v and with the 15 amps don't you think it would make it easier (and portable)? Really interested in your thoughts on this. I've been trying to figure this out too. Nothing back from my guide, from reading this thread seems very concerning.
Not sure if I mentioned it in this thread or another but the tech I talked to recently tried to convince me not to mess w/ the 12V batteries... who knows why...

I agree that, in theory, it would be like every other vehicle. Here are the pics I saved of the passthrough, which I easily got to myself by taking the cowl panel off the truck. Literally 10secs to get to. I believe you have to actually poke through the rubber grommet but I haven't gone that far. I have no idea where your cable ends up on the other side. Curious to find out.

For now I'm going for a non-invasive radio install using the 12V in the gear tunnel.

Rivian R1T R1S Interior passenger-side fuse box PXL_20220426_230040062
Rivian R1T R1S Interior passenger-side fuse box Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 2.21.34 PM
Sponsored

Last edited: