Sponsored

Interior passenger-side fuse box

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I have had the same communications with Rivian and the same results. It appears they consider wiring diagrams to be classified “top secret.” It would be so simple to add the fuse box diagram to the owners’ manual like every other manufacturer. When I have asked what happens if you blow a fuse? The response has been they will come and fix it. LOL if you are in the middle of nowhere. For a company who is incredibly talented in developing and brining to market a very complex EV they are very naive when it comes to the actual use of a 4 x 4. These vehicles are not just going to be driven around New Port, CA where help is a phone call away.
Fear not, at some point you will likely be able to subscribe to service information as with every other automaker. For a mere thousand or so dollars per year.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There is supposed to be a second fuse box under the dash on the driver’s side but I have not confirmed this. Why couldn’t they put the fuse boxes in the frunk like normal car manufacturers?
I can hear relays clicking on/off behind the driver dash so there’s something back there…. Not sure if it’s serviceable fuses or just auto-resetting circuit breakers.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

There is supposed to be a second fuse box under the dash on the driver’s side but I have not confirmed this. Why couldn’t they put the fuse boxes in the frunk like normal car manufacturers?
I’ve seen worse setups.

The lack of a diagram showing all fuse locations and ratings is unprecedented in my decades of car ownership though. Generally the information is in the owner’s manual AND printed on the fuse block or fuse block cover.

It seems crazy to me that Rivian isn’t publishing this information, especially since it’s not going to remain a secret forever. Someone will go through the work of documenting the configuration as shipped. Rivian can’t contain the information but they can make themselves look unreasonable for trying to.

I’m pretty sure every car I’ve owned built in 1991 and later also included a fuse puller and spare fuses, too. Not a requirement but nice to have. Honestly, I don’t think I’ve had to swap out an automotive fuse since the late ‘80s so I’m not as concerned about this. Kits with assorted fuses and a puller are pretty inexpensive.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
Are you sure your device doesn't have a fuse in the 12V connector? Most of the ones I've dealt with stick a glass fuse behind the spring loaded center pin.
I am testing across the pins in the harness.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
I also heard today that there was a second fuse box, but no info on where. No call back from Rivian yet.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I also heard today that there was a second fuse box, but no info on where. No call back from Rivian yet.
My truck is at service or I'd investigate for you

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
I called service again, they said it was fuse “F59” but that they don't want us changing them. It needs to come in for service…

There are a bunch of other items that need fixing, so I guess i’ll let them do it.

So if you blow a fuse on the trail wait for a flat tow?!

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Located where the glove box would normally be, behind the passenger knee airbag rubberized panel, upside-down, slightly tilted and placed in a horrendously awful position to support any kind of easy serviceability
Thanks for looking into this. I spent a few moments with a multi-meter and flash light, ready to probe but I'm not sure what panel to remove to access the fuse box. The "glove box" area is a fairly large panel that wraps around the center and continues to the driver side. The rubberized panel with a dozen or more metal clips doesn't look like it wants to come off. Can you provide a bit more info on how to access?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sonartech

Sonartech

First Name
Sonar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Canyon Red R1S, Hyundai IONIC 5, Ford Lightning
Occupation
Battery Systems Engineer
Clubs

The passenger fuse box is located forward of the air bag (the rubberized panel with multiple clips). You don't have to molest the air bag or air bag panel to get to the fuse box.

OP
OP
Sonartech

Sonartech

First Name
Sonar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Battery Systems Engineer
Clubs

To hopefully abate some of the questions I know will likely come from posting this information:
  • I do not yet know what all of the signal names are for - there's still a lot here to learn and discover, but please don't hammer me with questions about signal names
  • I have not verified all of this information yet, but the five or so fuses I have examined on the passenger's side seem to match the data provided above 100%
  • Rivian did not want you to have this information and you should take every opportunity to crap on Rivian for not providing this data in the first place, like every other car manufacturer on the planet.
Rivian R1T R1S Interior passenger-side fuse box Snap1

Rivian R1T R1S Interior passenger-side fuse box Snap2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sonartech

Sonartech

First Name
Sonar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Battery Systems Engineer
Clubs

So I called support, they were very nice, they dont have a diagram. They (say they) will call me back once they get the info from a Service Center.

After contorting my body in ways I shouldn’t at this age I got a decent view of the fuses. I literally put the passenger seat all the way back and laid with my feet past the headrest as one option. Ultimately settled on legs out the passenger door, head under the dash (glasses on, flashlight propped up)…

I tested continuity on every mini fuse. It says max 180W, so guessing 15A fuse. Took out each of the two 15A fuses for a visual too, all good. So at a bit of a loss.

It certainly no longer has power, and did before. I’d be surprised if there was a secondary/sub fuse panel anywhere.

Not a deal breaker, just a bit if a pain. My own fault for blowing it though.
Not sure which "rear 12V outlet" you popped, but the fuses for the 12V outlets are located on the Driver's side fuse panel as follows:
  1. F46 = 12V Port #1
  2. F51 = 12V Port #2
  3. F54 = 12V Port #3 (GearGuard/Rear Tunnel)
  4. F59 = 12V Port (R1T-GearGuard/R1S Luggage)
Rivian R1T R1S Interior passenger-side fuse box 1669418150379

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Seeing all these “proprietary” circuit fuses in the boxen, I can see why Rivian was reticent to publish the legends as shown here. But nothing was stopping them from publishing a different version that only identified user-serviceable circuits like “horn”. Instead, now all their circuit are belong to us.

Rivian R1T R1S Interior passenger-side fuse box 1669436609502

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
@Sonartech This gives me hope. Thank you! this is the kind of knowledge and digging we need in the owner community.
Sponsored