Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
Hey all!

Been playing with an idea about mounting cameras/lights on the grill of the truck. I have a few ideas rolling in my head, and was curious about people's interest.
Sponsored

Grajjie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Ioniq Electric, Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Just curious but when you say grill do you mean the open part in line with the fog lights or the empty space under the lightbar where a grill normally is? If it's the latter I would just be concerned about putting things there since there is a radar behind it.

Also for camera mounts I thought I remember seeing someone who was able to mount a GoPro to the tow hook. Wasn't sure if it was a custom made part or if it is sold somewhere.

A light bar would be sick (I would love a rooftop lightbar that can use the front 2 roof rack mounting points).

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
Just curious but when you say grill do you mean the open part in line with the fog lights or the empty space under the lightbar where a grill normally is? If it's the latter I would just be concerned about putting things there since there is a radar behind it.

Also for camera mounts I thought I remember seeing someone who was able to mount a GoPro to the tow hook. Wasn't sure if it was a custom made part or if it is sold somewhere.

A light bar would be sick (I would love a rooftop lightbar that can use the front 2 roof rack mounting points).
The latter. We can't really use the spot near the bumper due to the fact it triggers all the parking sensors. Also looking at single lights vs a lightbar due to the radar issue.

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
Just to clarify, there's little to no chance a light bar could go in this area?
Rivian R1T R1S Interest in Accessory Mount on Grill? s-l1600

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Eh… You could make a low-profile one that mounts low in the opening and avoids the camera. But the truck already has a light bar and low fog lights, so I'm not sure why you'd need yet another light bar there. I'm more interested in one that mounts to the roof crossbar mounts.

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
If you're able to make something like this happen, I'll be your guinea pig.

Some sort of bracket that would not use the tow hooks, that ties into something through and behind the lower grill for mounting.

Rivian R1T R1S Interest in Accessory Mount on Grill? Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 1.16.28 PM

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Yeah, fog lights like those (WattTruckMatt's Bronco photo) would be awesome. It would give some confidence in snowstorms (see this thread about visibility).

It sounds like snow and ice buildup are a problem, see this other thread, so using halogen or heated LED would be awesome.

I don't mind mounting to the front tow hooks if they are pretty easy to get on/off. Lower is probably better for fog lights, right?

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
I have a few ideas. End of the year activities this year as a teacher have kept me busy. Hopefully I can get some work in this summer on this.

Yeah, fog lights like those (WattTruckMatt's Bronco photo) would be awesome. It would give some confidence in snowstorms (see this thread about visibility).

It sounds like snow and ice buildup are a problem, see this other thread, so using halogen or heated LED would be awesome.

I don't mind mounting to the front tow hooks if they are pretty easy to get on/off. Lower is probably better for fog lights, right?

Iamuwere

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Hey all!

Been playing with an idea about mounting cameras/lights on the grill of the truck. I have a few ideas rolling in my head, and was curious about people's interest.

Any progress on the grille mount options? I want to add proper fog lights, but just don't love the look of the ditch mount on the R1S. I like the option of a two or four banger on the lower lateral grille. Same wiring harness, just a small bracket to mount to the grille away from the sensors and camera

Sponsored

Iamuwere

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Much like the snap plate mount, except just a small bracket with this t-bolt style mount. Hole for the light bracket to mount to. Simple. Beyond my 3d printing design capability though lol

@Sojhinn

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
Any progress on the grille mount options? I want to add proper fog lights, but just don't love the look of the ditch mount on the R1S. I like the option of a two or four banger on the lower lateral grille. Same wiring harness, just a small bracket to mount to the grille away from the sensors and camera
I have a design in place but I think it stresses the grill to much. Snap plate offers theirs though.
Sponsored

Last edited: