Installing wall charger outside vs inside

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Hmmm interesting. The installation guide says outdoor installation must use the conduit knockout on the bottom, not the back….

50169366-C4CD-448C-983B-2170845F7B23.jpeg
whoops, I did run a extended conduit inside. I'm planning on relocating it on the other side of my garage.
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
It is a really fat cord, if you close your door on it you’re not going to have a good bottom seal and you’d have to adjust the closing tension so it doesn’t roll back up like it does when you squish a small child.
Is it thicker than a garden hose? I have that running under my garage door for 6 months.

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I ran my Chargepoint EVSE cable under my garage door for a while. The cable stopped working after a while. Chargepoint replaced it under warranty (just the cable), and I’ve avoided doing it ever since. You could see creases in the cable jacket from where the garage door would rest on it.

My Rivian EVSE is getting installed outside the garage. The Chargepoint will be for whatever EV is inside the garage.

donaldus

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
74 Beetle, 2020 Gladiator, 2021 Leaf SV+
Occupation
Retired
My single car garage is small and filled with junk. There really isn't much wall space to put a charger. Does it make sense to just put the charger outside? My truck will be parked outside since it won't fit in the garage.
I have a garage equipped with a Chargepoint evse; don’t think a R1T will fit (our Leaf barely does, other bay houses my 74 Beetle). Have a 3 car carport as well, will be installing the Rivian evse there. Since charging is such a mess now, is there a way we could network with other owners to allow charging in critical situations? I wouldn’t mind sharing electrons with an ev driver in need.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Rivian R1T R1S Installing wall charger outside vs inside 1655908431802

Why oh why didn't the designer have the J-handle sit at a down angle in the storage area so that water will naturally drain down off the J-handle vs. into the storage hole where it will freeze in place during the winter and possibly corrode the connection pins over time?

Also, with the trigger button exposed, water will get in that area and freeze and or cause corrosion too.

Pro tip... sometimes it helps to have someone who's designed something that has actually been produced and deployed help or at least provide input to your design plans.

Very poor design...

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
FWIW... Clipper Creek makes a very well designed and executed J1772 holster that protects the J-handle connection pins and the trigger button from the elements. I've been using one of them for a couple years exposed to the elements and even ice and snow have no impact on the J-handle due to the protective design of the holster.

Rivian R1T R1S Installing wall charger outside vs inside 1655911099759

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
It is a really fat cord, if you close your door on it you’re not going to have a good bottom seal and you’d have to adjust the closing tension so it doesn’t roll back up like it does when you squish a small child.
I have a rubber threashold and cut out a piece for the cable so it still closes all the way flush. Didn't really need to but would leave a small gap otherwise.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

In one of my old houses, I had an EVSE inside the garage and had lockable access panels installed so I could get the J1772 plug through the wall and to my old Nissan LEAF that I parked in the driveway. It was pretty convenient.

I currently don’t have a garage at my primary house but have had a Tesla HPWC and Clipper Creek CS-70 installed outdoors for 8 years now charging two Teslas very reliably. Both units have held up quite well and are impatiently awaiting a Rivian.
Sponsored