Sponsored

If your AC is weak, make them check for a leak

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I got my R1T in September of last year, in the middle of a heat wave. I noticed even at delivery that the AC seemed a bit weak, but I figured it was probably just fighting 100F+ external temps.

Over the next couple of months I kept noticing that the AC wasn't doing a very good job, and after November or so it was just not doing anything. When I brought my truck in a couple of months ago for other repairs (including a non-working air vent), I asked them to take a look at the HVAC and refrigerant also. They noticed it was undercharged, and recharged it.

At this point I started to get suspicious; why would the refrigerant be undercharged? Was it leaking somewhere? Sure enough, over the next month or so, the AC started to weaken again. When I brought it back in last week for another fix, I told them to take another look at the refrigerant. And sure enough, they found a leak: there was a "rolled o-ring in the evap sensor"; they replaced the O-ring and the sensor too.

AC seems to be working fine now, though time will tell. Got a road trip to Arizona planned later; that will definitely test it. :)

So, if the AC in your Rivian is weak, and especially if it gets weaker over time, that's not normal; I suggest you get the SC to inspect it for refrigerant pressure and leaks. And in addition to wanting cabin comfort, it's an environmental issue: most automotive refrigerants are awful greenhouse gases, so the less they leak into the atmosphere, the better.
Sponsored

911.1 Guy

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Dam Many
Occupation
Finance
If refrigerent leaks out, you have a leak that has to be fixed. Filling it will only be temporary.

OP
OP

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
If refrigerent leaks out, you have a leak that has to be fixed. Filling it will only be temporary.
That's why I took it back in as soon as I realized that the AC was getting weaker again. I still can't figure out why they didn't check for a leak the first time, since it would be weird for the refrigerant to be undercharged at the factory. Possible, I guess, with Rivian's build validation issues. But weird.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I got my R1T in September of last year, in the middle of a heat wave. I noticed even at delivery that the AC seemed a bit weak, but I figured it was probably just fighting 100F+ external temps.

Over the next couple of months I kept noticing that the AC wasn't doing a very good job, and after November or so it was just not doing anything. When I brought my truck in a couple of months ago for other repairs (including a non-working air vent), I asked them to take a look at the HVAC and refrigerant also. They noticed it was undercharged, and recharged it.

At this point I started to get suspicious; why would the refrigerant be undercharged? Was it leaking somewhere? Sure enough, over the next month or so, the AC started to weaken again. When I brought it back in last week for another fix, I told them to take another look at the refrigerant. And sure enough, they found a leak: there was a "rolled o-ring in the evap sensor"; they replaced the O-ring and the sensor too.

AC seems to be working fine now, though time will tell. Got a road trip to Arizona planned later; that will definitely test it. :)

So, if the AC in your Rivian is weak, and especially if it gets weaker over time, that's not normal; I suggest you get the SC to inspect it for refrigerant pressure and leaks. And in addition to wanting cabin comfort, it's an environmental issue: most automotive refrigerants are awful greenhouse gases, so the less they leak into the atmosphere, the better.
i had the same pinched O-ring and A/C problem within 35 days of getting my truck last fall. This is a thing on some builds.

Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Mine has been in the SC twice to fix a leak. I'm concerned it is failing again, but hard for me to tell for sure in cool weather

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Mines going in in a couple weeks for AC repair as well.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
And sure enough, they found a leak: there was a "rolled o-ring in the evap sensor"; they replaced the O-ring and the sensor too.
"A rolled o-ring" is the same issue attributed by the SC advisor about my suspension leak. There seems to be a cack-handed person or robot putting these things together.

OP
OP

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
AC seems to be working fine now, though time will tell. Got a road trip to Arizona planned later; that will definitely test it.
Update:

Air conditioning performed well for the entire road trip, no more issues.

I have also noticed that the truck can now maintain DC fast charging at higher kW for longer and at higher states of charge. On previous trips I would sometimes hit DC charge rate limitations with the message "Limited while battery is cooling", even in relatively cool weather (40F-55F). Now with the AC fixed, I haven't ever seen that message again, even after fast charging multiple times in one day. There are of course the usual station-related problems (thanks EA!), but the truck itself is performing well.

BooneRiv

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Tesla MS
I had the exact same issue. The Atlanta SC found this right away. They didn’t attempt the band-aid fix of only recharging it.

Sponsored

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My truck struggled in the heat,
Like a desert in the backseat.
I brought it to service the next week
So they could take a peek.
They noticed the cooling was deplete,
So they filled it back to complete.
I thought the problem was obsolete,
But alas, the cooling was still meek.
The situation looked bleak,
But a solution I was determined to seek.
Once more to service, refusing defeat.
Again, they gave it a tweak,
Finding an o-ring that had been beat.
So if your AC is weak,
Make them check for a leak!

ADKR1S

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T , 2023 Toyota 4Runner, R1S Preorder
Occupation
VP of Sales
My truck struggled in the heat,
Like a desert in the backseat.
I brought it to service the next week
So they could take a peek.
They noticed the cooling was deplete,
So they filled it back to complete.
I thought the problem was obsolete,
But alas, the cooling was still meek.
The situation looked bleak,
But a solution I was determined to seek.
Once more to service, refusing defeat.
Again, they gave it a tweak,
Finding an o-ring that had been beat.
So if your AC is weak,
Make them check for a leak!
🤣

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
Anyone know if a non-Rivian service place can recharge or check for a leak? Mine worked last summer, but appears to be dead now. Service center is 300 miles away.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I learned today if your fan pressure is low, and you don't want recirc, you can crack a window and it'll blast instead of pressuring your damn ears.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Anyone know if a non-Rivian service place can recharge or check for a leak? Mine worked last summer, but appears to be dead now. Service center is 300 miles away.
Doubt it's something a mobile service can do but worth asking. Did it slowly get worse? Any local shop to diagnose and fix HVAC system is going to make a 300 mile trip worth it. They'll need to evacuate the system, perform a pressure test, if that fails then find the leak and fix it, then recharge. Not cheap! And if it's not even a leak they won't have access to Rivian parts.
Sponsored