Sponsored

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Yeah, that should work. I was kind of hoping to run the RT unit off the Rivian's wifi hotspot and run AA without involving my phone. So I guess the RT unit can't run off wifi like a tablet can?
It seems like maybe there is a misunderstanding about what AA/CarPlay is. At their heart they are both "screen mirroring" technologies designed to show content and apps from your phone on a screen in your car. The whole point is that your phone is the "hub" which has your data, runs your apps, logs in to your streaming accounts, etc.

In that world there is no way to run AA without your phone, which would defeat the purpose anyway.

Google has confused things a bit from a nomenclature point of view by calling their in-car infotainment OS "Android Automotive." That is a fully-fledged operating system designed to be used as a platform on which to build a built-in factory infotainment system.

In short: "Android Auto" is a screen mirroring tech designed to let your phone be the brains of your in car entertainment. That is what the RoadTop unit and others like it do.

"Android Automotive" is an operating system and platform that allows OEMs to build their own in-car built-in infotainment system. Volvos run this, for example.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
It seems like maybe there is a misunderstanding about what AA/CarPlay is. At their heart they are both "screen mirroring" technologies designed to show content and apps from your phone on a screen in your car. The whole point is that your phone is the "hub" which has your data, runs your apps, logs in to your streaming accounts, etc.

In that world there is no way to run AA without your phone, which would defeat the purpose anyway.

Google has confused things a bit from a nomenclature point of view by calling their in-car infotainment OS "Android Automotive." That is a fully-fledged operating system designed to be used as a platform on which to build a built-in factory infotainment system.

In short: "Android Auto" is a screen mirroring tech designed to let your phone be the brains of your in car entertainment. That is what the RoadTop unit and others like it do.

"Android Automotive" is an operating system and platform that allows OEMs to build their own in-car built-in infotainment system. Volvos run this, for example.
Thanks for the refresher!

My last AA session was back in Sept 2020 when I traded in my Bolt.

I recall running Waze on a tablet for a short trial in my Tesla, I was probably misremembering that as AA.

babylou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Business owner
I am still befuddled that Rivian has chosen to use their own navigation/phone control system and that many here defend it because it either CAN be developed to be better than Android Auto/CarPlay or that Rivian will somehow find a way to make more money with their proprietary system. Currently the Rivian system costs them $$ for the mapping data and to maintain 4G connectivity instead of having the owner pay for this through their own phone plan. On top of the ongoing expenses for Rivian their system is VASTLY inferior; mapping is a joke, Alexa doesn't recognize nearly all my phone contacts, no good system for hands free/eye free text messages and even more.

I am a CEO and spend about 2 hours per day driving (45 min commuting + meetings with attorneys, bankers, etc) and I cannot afford to be unproductive for 2 hours. I refuse to use my phone like most people. I will only use it hands free. Android Auto allows me to do this seamlessly and safely. I would trade 200 hp or the gear tunnel for AA in a NY minute.

I badly want this American company to succeed. Their decision in this regard is not helping them.

Last edited:
OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars

Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Figured i'd update this since i've never used Tesla's infotainment until this week, and I have to say Rivian is a long ways off from being anything like Tesla from an infotainment perspective. I have almost all the apps I need (sans Sirius XM) and full text message integration, it works fantastic. It's also smart enough because it's synced to my calendar to automatically route me to where I need to go for a meeting, I had a lunch meeting today and decided to take the Model Y and to my surprise the destination was already in the nav and routing me there. I have no need for CarPlay since all the integrations work. That's what I expect from a car infotainment, CarPlay or not.

Rivian can obviously get there, but how long it's going to take them to get there is the bigger question. And it's not like Tesla is just going to stand still while Rivian catches up, Tesla is obviously going to be making bigger and better things in the future as well. I wish they'd give us CP/AA for now so I can have *a* solution for things like texting, but once they finally close the gap then I think the CP/AA chatter will die down a bit. It'll never go away as people complain about it everyday with Tesla's, but the gap in functionality difference is minuscule compared to Rivian and CP/AA.

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Lack of CarPlay is why I do not have a Tesla or Rivian, and I won't own either of them until they reverse course on that.

Inhisname

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
RSM
As we all know, Rivian in their infinite wisdom believes they can build a better software experience than Apple or Google for in-car infotainment. As an owner I can now definitively say at this moment and for the foreseeable future that is not true. They simply lack the market presence and development resources to target all of the possible media and navigation applications their customers want to use. I know I am not alone in this analysis, and like many I am constantly petitioning Rivian to add CarPlay and Android Auto support. However, I'm not waiting around crossing my fingers for it to happen.

I purchased and installed the RoadTop 8.8" display. It is a Linux-based standalone and portable media unit typically used to add modern features to older vehicles, or in this case a brand-new, modern truck built by a new company with too much hubris. It has a wide screen display, which I prefer over the typical 4:3 units. It supports both CarPlay and Android Auto, wired via USB-A or wireless. It can connect to the vehicle's sound system using three different methods: an aux jack, an FM transmitter, or a bluetooth connection. It is powered by 12V. The design is better than most, though not perfect. The bezels are large, and it has a bit of a "chin" like an iMac. The screen resolution is also low (1280 x 480), but it's readable. The price is reasonable in my opinion at $290 shipped. It does come with a camera which is a waste in this application. It would be nice to see a SKU without it for a lower price.

Setup and installation was simple and straightforward. I mounted the screen above the existing Rivian infotainment using the included suction mount with boom arm. I then ran the power cable to the 12V port beneath the center air vents and powered on the screen. I removed the Rivian Audio connection from my iPhone and connected the iPhone via bluetooth to the RoadTop unit. It prompted me to start CarPlay, and within seconds it was up and running. I then connected the RoadTop as a bluetooth device to the Rivian infotainment and set the output appropriately. Boom, wireless CarPlay in a Rivian.

The 12V power is tied to the lock state of the truck. If the truck is unlocked, the unit powers on. If it's locked it powers down. Startup time is relatively quick (~8 seconds from power up), and it can be set to boot directly into CarPlay. It's responsive, and the audio quality sounds comparable to the direct bluetooth connection to the Rivian infotainment. It also supports screen mirroring via AirPlay or MirrorLink, which is a nice touch. When parked you can easily stream video from your phone.

The only big issue I've had is occasional choppiness with the bluetooth connection from the RoadTop to the Rivian. I know the problem lies here because other outputs work fine. It's intermittent, and reconnecting often fixes the issue. I asked RoadTop support about this. They sent me a firmware update to try, but I can't seem to get it to install. I'm waiting on a follow-up from them now.

B2757344-0EA8-4711-B6F4-7E19E8DA19CE_1_102_o.jpeg

DB60D866-F7BC-45CE-9183-F5961BBDD634_1_102_o.jpeg

87AF0CC1-A795-4083-84E0-0832A73F0B66_1_102_o.jpeg

And now I'll attempt to preempt many of the comments...

Why not just use a phone mount?
I prefer the CarPlay interface when driving. The whole point of CarPlay was to prevent phone use while driving. I also don't like putting my phone in a dedicated spot every time I get in a car. If a phone mount works for you, great! I just wanted to show an alternative.

What if Rivian adds CarPlay in the future?
Fantastic, I welcome that. Obviously this solution is not ideal. Nothing would make me happier than seeing them come to their senses on phone integration.

This looks dumb. Do you really need CarPlay this bad?
Look, I don't love having to resort to this. I agree it's not beautiful or elegant. The power cord and mount are not pleasing to look at. Having yet another screen in the truck is redundant. But ultimately I will sacrifice aesthetic for function. The native infotainment does not serve me well. CarPlay does. If you're happy with the system in its current state, good for you. For those of us who aren't this is an option.
If you could please help me by sending me the firmware update or let me know where it's posted I would greatly appreciate it please. I am hating that little glitch and need to get rid of it - Thank you!!!

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I got a Roadtrip unit today and installed it. I did it a little differently though, see pictures. I didn't love having it block any of my view and it's within easy reach where I installed it Need to see if the adhesive on the base will hold, if not, I can screw in place.

I am having intermittent BT audio choppiness when playing music, turning the Rivian BT off and on again seems to fix it. I am having a major issue with call audio however, it is completely garbled, sounds like an android talking, totally unusable. Seems to be an issue between the unit and the Rivian's BT. Have contacted them to see if they can help, I suspect it has something to do with the bluetooth stack on the unit. Has anyone else encountered this?

If I can get the call audio sorted out, I'll be very happy with this solution. It's not 100% perfect but it does make it a lot more functional, plus it solves my wife and I wanting to have our own Spotify playlists, contact lists, etc.

4B11661E-5AD3-4AE3-B761-C23D1D959CA6.jpeg

0281139E-DC52-46DF-9BC5-DC893ABAAA9A.jpeg

4B11661E-5AD3-4AE3-B761-C23D1D959CA6.jpeg
I tried this exact same set up and the adhesive on my pad let go on the first drive. Any tricks to getting it to stay stuck?

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
Clean the surface well with iosprop alcohol, and allow to try (can take a little longer on textured surfaces). If you did, and it still detached, it's probably a crappy adhesive pad, but you can always use some adhesion promotor to help things adhere. You can cut your own adhesive pad using a sheet of this. I normally only use the promotor on the outside of the car, and it works, but since this mounting point is out of sight, I wouldn't have any misgivings about using it there.

Sponsored

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Link in the first post is dead. Are folks running a tablet option?

RoadTripFan

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Broker
Clubs

Contemplating adding the RoadTop... Very much miss the ease of use for CarPlay and would love to have AllTrails access as well. LOVE MY R1T and not trading it in or even considering such, but would like to enhance my ownership experience with the infotainment items that could be available

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T , 2024 Rivian R1S
Have experience with RoadTop? Good?
Where would you put it?

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I have the widescreen road top that I mounted using the windshield mount upside down under the dash below the main screen. As mentioned above you may need to add something to the adhesive that comes with it like gorilla tape or something. The existing adhesive is not really meant to hold that much weight and is will fall off on a hot day.
My biggest issue at the moment, and the reason I have not remounted it is that I cannot apply the firmware update without an android device. I can download the app with iOS but it does not see the road top unit.
Sponsored