Sponsored

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I don't have one. I had an order at the original pricing for a MXLR and even had a VIN assigned, but I decided to pass on it. Kinda wishing I hadn't at this point, though with the recent price drop for Plaids I'm considering a new order.
I'm being lazy and didn't read the entire thread. Do you also have a Rivian or are waiting?
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE (QM/L), 2024 Zero DSR/X
Occupation
Product Management
You have a current Model X? I have had one for years (now have Plaid) and am considering selling to get into my Rivian on order.

Trying to find members who have left Tesla for Rivian. Is there a thread for this??
I left a Model Y (and previously a Model 3 Performance) for an R1T. 60,000+ miles between the two of them, now 10,000+ on the R1T. Happy to chat if you have any questions.

Tl;dr I'm very happy with the Rivian. I wish the charging network was better but otherwise I miss nothing about Tesla. (OK, I miss the stop light chime.)

Sponsored

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Well, I'm giving up on the Carpuride unit. I emailed support multiple times over the past week. They haven't even responded. Stick with the RoadTop or an Android solution for now.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Well, I'm giving up on the Carpuride unit. I emailed support multiple times over the past week. They haven't even responded. Stick with the RoadTop or an Android solution for now.
Thanks for doing all the leg work....

Is the Roadtop unit in your 1st post still the current unit you recommend?

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
You have a current Model X? I have had one for years (now have Plaid) and am considering selling to get into my Rivian on order.

Trying to find members who have left Tesla for Rivian. Is there a thread for this??
I've got a Model Y on order for the Wife, going to see how it compares to the Rivian to decide if the R1S is worth the 45K price difference which I suspect it won't be. Should be here in a couple weeks hopefully so I'm curious on their infotainment since they also don't have CarPlay but are light years ahead of Rivian. With text integration, Apple Music, and a nav that is reliable I don't think i'll miss CarPlay but only time will tell.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Thanks for doing all the leg work....

Is the Roadtop unit in your 1st post still the current unit you recommend?
Yes. I've tried five different off-the-shelf solutions, and RoadTop is currently the only one that works with Rivian's bluetooth audio and supports remote control (partially). Most rely on AUX input or FM transmission. I've also tried the Android tablet solution. While it works I found it to be more frustrating to use. If I had the time and resources I would love to develop a more targeted solution which tackles some of the shortcomings of the RoadTop, such as the low-res, non-laminated display, the large bezels and thick casing, streamline the UI, and add support for play/pause from the steering wheel. I'll continue to try new solutions as they are released.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I've got a Model Y on order for the Wife, going to see how it compares to the Rivian to decide if the R1S is worth the 45K price difference which I suspect it won't be. Should be here in a couple weeks hopefully so I'm curious on their infotainment since they also don't have CarPlay but are light years ahead of Rivian. With text integration, Apple Music, and a nav that is reliable I don't think i'll miss CarPlay but only time will tell.
If you're feeling it, I'd love to see how well this thing works: https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/carlinkit-t2c-tesla-wireless-apple-carplay-adapter

They are supposedly about to introduce a 2.0 version that doesn't require a SIM card.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Yes. I've tried five different off-the-shelf solutions, and RoadTop is currently the only one that works with Rivian's bluetooth audio and supports remote control (partially). Most rely on AUX input or FM transmission. I've also tried the Android tablet solution. While it works I found it to be more frustrating to use. If I had the time and resources I would love to develop a more targeted solution which tackles some of the shortcomings of the RoadTop, such as the low-res, non-laminated display, the large bezels and thick casing, streamline the UI, and add support for play/pause from the steering wheel. I'll continue to try new solutions as they are released.
Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Does the Roadtop automatically pair when the truck is powered up like most BT devices?

Is there a web browser so one could run the SXM web based feed or can you add (or even sideload) the native SXM Android app?

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Is there a web browser so one could run the SXM web based feed or can you add (or even sideload) the native SXM Android app?
It seems like it should be as simple as using the SXM app on your phone via Android Auto, that's the main point of this mod. (Or the SXM app on the iPhone via CarPlay in the Apple world)

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Does the Roadtop automatically pair when the truck is powered up like most BT devices?
It does.

No browser and no way to add additional apps that I can see, but as @racekarl said above would the SXM app through CP/AA not work?

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
If you're feeling it, I'd love to see how well this thing works: https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/carlinkit-t2c-tesla-wireless-apple-carplay-adapter

They are supposedly about to introduce a 2.0 version that doesn't require a SIM card.
Interesting, I'll keep an eye on that and may look into it if I find the Tesla infotainment lacking.

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

For mine, it mostly connects and doesn't have any issues with it. I do run into an issue about 1/5th of the time where it won't connect to the RoadTop unit, for some reason if you click the "i" next to the bluetooth list the Media Playback toggle gets turned off on the roadtop unit and I have to toggle it back on for the truck to connect to it.
I also disabled wireless carplay and only use wired because even though I have proximity lock/unlock disabled at home, it still turns the truck on if I walk close to it which turns on the 12v accessory port under the dash which turns the carplay unit on. I'll be watching something on my phone in the house and the audio will quit working so I just disabled wireless carplay entirely since plugging it in isn't a big deal to me.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
It seems like it should be as simple as using the SXM app on your phone via Android Auto, that's the main point of this mod. (Or the SXM app on the iPhone via CarPlay in the Apple world)
Yeah, that should work. I was kind of hoping to run the RT unit off the Rivian's wifi hotspot and run AA without involving my phone. So I guess the RT unit can't run off wifi like a tablet can?
Sponsored