Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

consumers don’t want CarPlay as a subscription. BMW tried this and customers revolted; BMW quickly reversed course.
I know how that played out for BMW but the customers at that time were, if I recall correctly, being changed from a business model of CarPlay as a one-time upgrade to a recurring subscription. If I’m remembering that correctly then BMW went from no CP to single upgrade cost CP to subscription CP. Giving people a taste of one-time upgrade and switching to recurring was perceived as a blatant cash-grab. At least that was how I saw it since it wasn’t like BMW had CP-related recurring development costs.

While I’d also prefer CarPlay as a one-time upgrade, if I’m given a choice between no built-in CP at all and recurring fee CP then I’ll pay a recurring fee to get integrated CP. I like the Rivian product and I understand that Rivian is a new company in need of recurring revenue so I’d be okay paying to get what I want. I know some folks will feel differently.
Sponsored

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Went on my first road trip with the R1T last week, sans-CarPlay. How was it? In a word: distracted. I was constantly looking at my phone for Waze directions, changing my Apple Music or Podcast, messaging…. It made me remember a major impetus for CarPlay’s existence: safety. I shared these concerns with Rivian as another reason to add native CarPlay support.

sr_dipstick

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Toyota FJ62 Land Cruiser; VW Mk1 Cabby
Rivian R1T R1S I added CarPlay to my R1T C557D5BE-B805-423A-B837-4D32DFA3EA30
Rivian R1T R1S I added CarPlay to my R1T CBC28FC7-038B-4A2C-AC1D-F0CF09C5FF60

Installed the RoadTop with a few magnet mounts. Very stable. Bluetooth is definitely crap, but accurate navigation and screen mirroring is my biggest needs. Magnets make removal and stowing a breeze. Now I’m looking for a compatible short DC cable. Or can I shorten this myself?

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

C557D5BE-B805-423A-B837-4D32DFA3EA30.jpeg
CBC28FC7-038B-4A2C-AC1D-F0CF09C5FF60.jpeg

Installed the RoadTop with a few magnet mounts. Very stable. Bluetooth is definitely crap, but accurate navigation and screen mirroring is my biggest needs. Magnets make removal and stowing a breeze. Now I’m looking for a compatible short DC cable. Or can I shorten this myself?
I like the location down there. Can you post a link to the mounts you used?

sr_dipstick

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I like the location down there. Can you post a link to the mounts you used?
Mounting Point on RoadTop (unscrew the stock plastic ball receiver on the back):
Mount to underside of dash (used the RoadTop mounting plate and reused the sticky pad from the suction cup mount):
Additional magnet mounts (sticky taped to RoadTop and underside of dash): - These are great for mounting in the gear tunnel compartments too to supplement the undersized latching mechanism.

Sponsored

Eugene Tay

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T LE, 2022 BMW X3 M40i
Occupation
Tech Sales Director
Unfortunately, no. Support has been responsive but yet to find a solution. I’m trying to be patient, but if they can’t get a fix in the next few weeks I’ll request a refund and try a different brand.
I find that when I encounter the choppiness, I just disconnect the bluetooth using the Rivian's screen by selecting "None" and then reconnect to RoadTop. It solves it everytime. The only thing now is the echo that is being heard by the other party when I use the RoadTop to make a call.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I find that when I encounter the choppiness, I just disconnect the bluetooth using the Rivian's screen by selecting "None" and then reconnect to RoadTop. It solves it everytime. The only thing now is the echo that is being heard by the other party when I use the RoadTop to make a call.
Yes, this does work, however it was frustrating enough for me I'm looking for alternatives now. I'd like to go the custom tablet route, but I don't really see a tablet form factor I like for dash mounting. I'd like a tablet that's very thin and ultra-wide.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Attention to those who have the RoadTop unit (@jdubs, @swhme, @sr_dipstick, @Eugene Tay, and any others):

I sent my original unit back, but I saw rumblings on other forums of a V2 unit. Since Amazon offers a 30-day return window I figured I'd order again and see if I received the newer unit. Sure enough I did. Unfortunately the bluetooth choppiness was still present. I sent an email to [email protected] explaining the issue and shared my current software version. They replied overnight with two update files.

The first file was a bluetooth firmware upgrade. The rub with this is it requires an Android device to install. I just happened to have one on-hand I was using for an AutoKit test setup. The instructions mention selecting the bluetooth module to update, but of course there are two modules in the RoadTop: one for receiving and one for transmitting. Looking at the screenshots I was able to infer the module with MAC prefix DC:0D:30 is the transmission module which needs the upgrade. The second file was new software for the RoadTop unit itself. I installed this using a FAT32 USB stick just like previous updates.

After the install I tested by locking the truck, letting it sit for 10 minutes, then hopping back into the truck and letting CarPlay and my audio begin automatically. To my surprise this appears to have fixed the issue. No choppiness on first boot. No need to disconnect and reconnect the RoadTop bluetooth connection to the truck. These are just my initial observations, but it seems promising. I'll continue to evaluate over the next few days and report if I have any additional issues.

I am not entirely sure if the bluetooth firmware is applicable for the V1 units. I know for sure that the RoadTop software is different between V1 and V2. Looking at the UI is unfortunately the only way to tell if you are on V1 or V2, and although I received a V2 unit from my Amazon order there's no guarantee you'll receive a V2. I also don't know if the bluetooth firmware alone was enough to correct the issue or if it requires the combination of both. I'm happy to share the files I was sent for you to try. I'd say if your bluetooth transmitter starts with that DC:0D:30 MAC prefix it's probably safe to install. If you don't have a V2 unit the software won't install.

V1 UI:
Rivian R1T R1S I added CarPlay to my R1T v1

V2 UI:
Rivian R1T R1S I added CarPlay to my R1T v2

Last edited:

sr_dipstick

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Attention to those who have the RoadTop unit (@jdubs, @swhme, @sr_dipstick, @Eugene Tay, and any others):

I sent my original unit back, but I saw rumblings on other forums of a V2 unit. Since Amazon offers a 30-day return window I figured I'd order again and see if I received the newer unit. Sure enough I did. Unfortunately the bluetooth choppiness was still present. I sent an email to [email protected] explaining the issue and shared my current software version. They replied overnight with two update files.

The first file was a bluetooth firmware upgrade. The rub with this is it requires an Android device to install. I just happened to have one on-hand I was using for an AutoKit test setup. The instructions mention selecting the bluetooth module to update, but of course there are two modules in the RoadTop: one for receiving and one for transmitting. Looking at the screenshots I was able to infer the module with MAC prefix DC:0D:30 is the transmission module which needs the upgrade. The second file was new software for the RoadTop unit itself. I installed this using a FAT32 USB stick just like previous updates.

After the install I tested by locking the truck, letting it sit for 10 minutes, then hopping back into the truck and letting CarPlay and my audio begin automatically. To my surprise this appears to have fixed the issue. No choppiness on first boot. No need to disconnect and reconnect the RoadTop bluetooth connection to the truck. These are just my initial observations, but it seems promising. I'll continue to evaluate over the next few days and report if I have any additional issues.

I am not entirely sure if the bluetooth firmware is applicable for the V1 units. I know for sure that the RoadTop software is different between V1 and V2. Looking at the UI is unfortunately the only way to tell if you are on V1 or V2, and although I received a V2 unit from my Amazon order there's no guarantee you'll receive a V2. I also don't know if the bluetooth firmware alone was enough to correct the issue or if it requires the combination of both. I'm happy to share the files I was sent for you to try. I'd say if your bluetooth transmitter starts with that DC:0D:30 MAC prefix it's probably safe to install. If you don't have a V2 unit the software won't install.

V1 UI:
v1.png

V2 UI:
v2.png
That’s awesome you were able to correct it. Would you be able to provide the files you were sent? Support wanted me to send in a video of the issue and I haven’t had time. If not, that’s cool too. I’ll get around to it eventually. Thanks for the update!

travbz814

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, M3P
Clubs

Do you know which of these is version 2?

https://a.co/2c1S8jx

https://a.co/6DUqb6h

Sponsored

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Do you know which of these is version 2?

https://a.co/2c1S8jx

https://a.co/6DUqb6h
I ordered from the second link, however there's no way to tell just from the listing. I would assume either of these could get you a V1 or a V2. I don't know why they aren't distinguishing. You might be able to place an order and send an email asking for a guarantee on a V2, or as I did you could simply return it if you get a V1 or ask for a replacement.

travbz814

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, M3P
Clubs

I ordered from the second link, however there's no way to tell just from the listing. I would assume either of these could get you a V1 or a V2. I don't know why they aren't distinguishing. You might be able to place an order and send an email asking for a guarantee on a V2, or as I did you could simply return it if you get a V1 or ask for a replacement.
Ok thanks.

Could you send the support update files?

travbz814

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, M3P
Clubs

C557D5BE-B805-423A-B837-4D32DFA3EA30.jpeg
CBC28FC7-038B-4A2C-AC1D-F0CF09C5FF60.jpeg

Nice!

What's it look like with the cup holders open? And with stuff in them?