Sponsored

sr_dipstick

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Toyota FJ62 Land Cruiser; VW Mk1 Cabby
Thanks! Definitely copying what you did. Appreciate it!
Awesome! It’s been working really well with the exception of the Bluetooth connect/reconnect. I also replaced the top mounted magnet setup with 3M Command Velcro style strips. The large black ones. Just cut it in half longwise. Better than the magnets I posted earlier.
Sponsored

travbz814

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, M3P
Clubs

Awesome! It’s been working really well with the exception of the Bluetooth connect/reconnect. I also replaced the top mounted magnet setup with 3M Command Velcro style strips. The large black ones. Just cut it in half longwise. Better than the magnets I posted earlier.
Any chance you could show a pic of this?

RivianCurious

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EV, Rivian R1T
Clubs

As we all know, Rivian in their infinite wisdom believes they can build a better software experience than Apple or Google for in-car infotainment. As an owner I can now definitively say at this moment and for the foreseeable future that is not true. They simply lack the market presence and development resources to target all of the possible media and navigation applications their customers want to use. I know I am not alone in this analysis, and like many I am constantly petitioning Rivian to add CarPlay and Android Auto support. However, I'm not waiting around crossing my fingers for it to happen.

I purchased and installed the RoadTop 8.8" display. It is a Linux-based standalone and portable media unit typically used to add modern features to older vehicles, or in this case a brand-new, modern truck built by a new company with too much hubris. It has a wide screen display, which I prefer over the typical 4:3 units. It supports both CarPlay and Android Auto, wired via USB-A or wireless. It can connect to the vehicle's sound system using three different methods: an aux jack, an FM transmitter, or a bluetooth connection. It is powered by 12V. The design is better than most, though not perfect. The bezels are large, and it has a bit of a "chin" like an iMac. The screen resolution is also low (1280 x 480), but it's readable. The price is reasonable in my opinion at $290 shipped. It does come with a camera which is a waste in this application. It would be nice to see a SKU without it for a lower price.

Setup and installation was simple and straightforward. I mounted the screen above the existing Rivian infotainment using the included suction mount with boom arm. I then ran the power cable to the 12V port beneath the center air vents and powered on the screen. I removed the Rivian Audio connection from my iPhone and connected the iPhone via bluetooth to the RoadTop unit. It prompted me to start CarPlay, and within seconds it was up and running. I then connected the RoadTop as a bluetooth device to the Rivian infotainment and set the output appropriately. Boom, wireless CarPlay in a Rivian.

The 12V power is tied to the lock state of the truck. If the truck is unlocked, the unit powers on. If it's locked it powers down. Startup time is relatively quick (~8 seconds from power up), and it can be set to boot directly into CarPlay. It's responsive, and the audio quality sounds comparable to the direct bluetooth connection to the Rivian infotainment. It also supports screen mirroring via AirPlay or MirrorLink, which is a nice touch. When parked you can easily stream video from your phone.

The only big issue I've had is occasional choppiness with the bluetooth connection from the RoadTop to the Rivian. I know the problem lies here because other outputs work fine. It's intermittent, and reconnecting often fixes the issue. I asked RoadTop support about this. They sent me a firmware update to try, but I can't seem to get it to install. I'm waiting on a follow-up from them now.

B2757344-0EA8-4711-B6F4-7E19E8DA19CE_1_102_o.jpeg

DB60D866-F7BC-45CE-9183-F5961BBDD634_1_102_o.jpeg

87AF0CC1-A795-4083-84E0-0832A73F0B66_1_102_o.jpeg

And now I'll attempt to preempt many of the comments...

Why not just use a phone mount?
I prefer the CarPlay interface when driving. The whole point of CarPlay was to prevent phone use while driving. I also don't like putting my phone in a dedicated spot every time I get in a car. If a phone mount works for you, great! I just wanted to show an alternative.

What if Rivian adds CarPlay in the future?
Fantastic, I welcome that. Obviously this solution is not ideal. Nothing would make me happier than seeing them come to their senses on phone integration.

This looks dumb. Do you really need CarPlay this bad?
Look, I don't love having to resort to this. I agree it's not beautiful or elegant. The power cord and mount are not pleasing to look at. Having yet another screen in the truck is redundant. But ultimately I will sacrifice aesthetic for function. The native infotainment does not serve me well. CarPlay does. If you're happy with the system in its current state, good for you. For those of us who aren't this is an option.
Nice.
I suppose I could use my Surface Duo phone the same way. I miss my android auto.

sr_dipstick

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any chance you could show a pic of this?
If you zoom into my last pic with the cans in the cupholder, you can see the “sandwiched” stripes of 3M Velcro. I’ll try to get a pic of the top when I have a moment.

RIVDOC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GSA T700 and more
Occupation
Self employed
any idea if this new product carrgenie would work to give us apple car play?

Sponsored

RIVDOC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GSA T700 and more
Occupation
Self employed

sr_dipstick

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you zoom into my last pic with the cans in the cupholder, you can see the “sandwiched” stripes of 3M Velcro. I’ll try to get a pic of the top when I have a moment.
Rivian R1T R1S I added CarPlay to my R1T CD887FB4-3650-4FF7-8B6E-F6F5DFA3A728
Rivian R1T R1S I added CarPlay to my R1T BC4A37C5-ECAC-40DF-A0A1-264D34127EDC
Rivian R1T R1S I added CarPlay to my R1T 4B639520-A6F1-4390-9B16-74BCD47E375B

Not as clean as the magnet solution but the double sided tape I used didn’t hold as well as these Command strips. I’m working on another solution with magnets and ill keep the thread updated if I get better results.

Horseytime

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LA Silver 20" AT- Launch Edition
I tried this. Bought the roadtop got it going, yes, you have to toggle the Bluetooth to none and back to the unit to work. Every time.

Never could get the voice to work for phone calls. Meaning, it would come from phone, to roadtop, to car, and always in a robot voice all messed up.

I tried various things, plugged I I to a Bluetooth transmitter, no help. All I could do was to use ear buds for calls.

I know this unit has been reported before as being finiky. I knew what I was in for.

I really wanted to make it work.

Day 2 the screen bottom half just stopped working and had streaks down it, resetting, etc didn't fix.

Returned it, obviously, and will keep my search for a good solution alive. Just not this unit.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Returned it, obviously, and will keep my search for a good solution alive. Just not this unit.
Unfortunately there's a severe lack of options. I'm trying a bunch of different units, and none of them really nail it.

The RoadTop has the killer feature of bluetooth transmission, but the screen kinda sucks and the bezels are relatively large.

I tried the Android tablet/Carlinkit approach, but I wasn't a fan of the aspect ratio, it was a bit sluggish, and I couldn't get the steering wheel controls to work.

I tried this unit:

Rivian R1T R1S I added CarPlay to my R1T 71nIEaeZCpL._AC_SL1500_

It has a really nice screen and slimmer bezels than the RoadTop, but it did seem a bit laggy. Even worse it doesn't have bluetooth transmission, so you're stuck with FM which sucks.

I have a vision for what a perfect additional CarPlay screen could be for the R1 platform, how it would look, the user interface, etc, but I don't have the resources or know-how to make it a reality.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Take this with a massive grain of salt.

Today I was on the trails and ran into a lady. She said she worked at Rivian and she asked me a bunch of questions on how I liked the truck. She was very knowledable and it was a great conversation. I told her the two things I disliked the most about the truck. One was, of course, the broken tonneau cover and the other was the lack of CarPlay support.

I don’t remember the exact quote, but she said it’s coming “s00n”. Seriously, she said soon.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars

Today I was on the trails and ran into a lady. She said she worked at Rivian and she asked me a bunch of questions on how I liked the truck. She was very knowledable and it was a great conversation. I told her the two things I disliked the most about the truck. One was, of course, the broken tonneau cover and the other was the lack of CarPlay support.

I don’t remember the exact quote, but she said it’s coming “s00n”. Seriously, she said soon.
This would legitimately be the greatest olive branch Rivian could offer me at this point. I’ve had several qualms with the company, service, fulfillment, etc… and nothing would make me more satisfied than to hear official CarPlay support is on the roadmap.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

That would be amazing, but I don’t dare even hope for it, at this point.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

That would be amazing. The two things I am worried that I will miss, and possibly can’t get over not having, from my current car are:
1. CarPlay (text, Apple Music and nav integration)
2. Lane centering on all roads.

I assume at some point in the next few years driver+ have will improved, but I hadn’t dared hope for CarPlay
Sponsored

Last edited: