Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Okay, I have noticed a trend. When I drive right after a home charge session my truck is more efficient.

Now with seeing battery temps I realized that if you charge for a moderate amount of time then the battery is warmer from the charging. So even though I don’t have time-of-use rates from my electric company I realized I might want to start a charge schedule to charge the truck in the early morning to end about when I leave in the morning instead of charging at night.

This is only a hypothesis and maybe it has been covered before but I would love others to confirm.

Rivian R1T R1S Hypothesis: Charging schedule makes more efficient driving IMG_1712

Edit: grammar
Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Yup. Do this in the winter to help with efficiency.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
I time my charges in the winter. I know my evse does ~6% per hour. I schedule the charge so I get to my desired percent for my drive.

I believe tesla has this feature built in so you just out your scheduled departure and the car does the math for you

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I time my charges in the winter. I know my evse does ~6% per hour. I schedule the charge so I get to my desired percent for my drive.

I believe tesla has this feature built in so you just out your scheduled departure and the car does the math for you
I quite miss this feature on the Rivian, I hope they adopt it.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Works even better when the vehicle fails to charge at all ;)

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Yes conditioning while it's charging. I still charge whenever I have the opportunity though. I may change that if my utility adds support for Rivian and I can get a $0.02 per kwh discount for night charging.

WorldComposting

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.worldcomposting.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Yes conditioning while it's charging. I still charge whenever I have the opportunity though. I may change that if my utility adds support for Rivian and I can get a $0.02 per kwh discount for night charging.
Your in MD like me, are you on BGE because they have TOU charging with Chargepoint flex and Juicebox chargers. If you have another charger I get it that it doesn't make sense to change for the minimal cost difference.

https://www.bge.com/smart-energy/innovation-technology/electric-vehicles

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Your in MD like me, are you on BGE because they have TOU charging with Chargepoint flex and Juicebox chargers. If you have another charger I get it that it doesn't make sense to change for the minimal cost difference.

https://www.bge.com/smart-energy/innovation-technology/electric-vehicles
I'm on Potomac Edison (First Energy) and they have a similar program for Charpoint and Juice box but they also use a service called Smart car to track Tesla vehicles. Rivian is compatible with smartcar and so I am trying to get them to add support for Rivian. It's 2 cents per kwh so it would save about $30 a month give/take. I have two Tesla chargers in power share so not worth swapping the charging units.

I believe eventually they will support Rivian via smartcar like Tesla.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes, it's more efficient as the battery will be warmer if you can time charging when you leave. I do believe battery pre-conditioning will be coming in the next few updates now that the weather is getting colder. I've decided for the minimal cost savings it doesn't make much sense to go through the headache of trying to charge at exactly the right time - I just set it and forget it, waiting for preconditioning to come on a future update.
Sponsored