Sponsored

HV battery / drive unit replacement experiences?

MooneyPilot

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Occupation
Pilot
Not sure if it's comforting or heartbreaking to hear I'm not the only one... Drove to a Dr's appointment last Thursday from the OR Coast to Portland and had a sudden message (at 65 mph in the left lane!) that Emergency Braking was activated and to pull over NOW :stop:. Had the truck for a month with fewer than 1,000 miles (900 and some change). Ironically enough I was on the phone with Rivian setting up an appointment date for the other 17 issues I had already on the books as this "event" took place. She heard the whole thing and probably a few choice words as I worked to pull over with a breaking truck. Needless to say, I now had an immediate appointment. Hard reset did no good and it was towed from the Portland area to Bellevue, WA. Waiting to hear from them again, but so far it looks like the rear drive train (and who knows what else).

Not sure yet on duration, but I was not offered a loaner (I asked!) and am now in a gas guzzling Tacoma. This is my one vehicle and all decked out to travel with some or all 5 of my dogs...and rentals don't allow you to have dogs in them. Not sure how this will work since I have a Vet appointment coming up and this is the time of year I go into the woods for mushroom foraging with at least one dog šŸ˜¢

It has left me frustrated and put a good dent in my trust of the vehicle. It could've broken down in a way worse spot or scenario and the Service Center folks have been awesome. No peep from my Guide though (can you ask to be assigned a new Guide post delivery?).

Glad this forum and fellow owners are here and keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy return of my "all fixed" R1T!
Are they paying for the rental?
Sponsored

drew12dogger

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My R1T died last Wednesday. Completely unresponsive in the morning. Mobile tech replaced the 12v batteries only to have them get drained in about 15 minutes. Multiple "critical battery issue" error messages and "high voltage warnings". Truck was towed to the service center and I'm waiting to hear back on the diagnostics and repair plan. I suspect it's going to be a HV battery pack replacement for me. Rivian has been very responsive. Had a mobile tech at my house within 2 hours and tow truck showed up on time. We'll see how the rest of it goes this week. The truck has been solid up to this point even with a low VIN#(6740). The first 5641 miles were glorious... ;)
Mine died a few weeks ago as well. Although I only got about 2,000 miles out of it and had a bunch of other problems as well. Good luck with the repair! Mine took 2 weeks to get back.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Are they paying for the rental?
I had a BMW sitting in my driveway for nearly 5 weeks care of Rivian warranty work. I asked for an EV but I guess they didn't have any. Drove my Polestar every day instead of that ICE garbage.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
My R1T died last Wednesday. Completely unresponsive in the morning. Mobile tech replaced the 12v batteries only to have them get drained in about 15 minutes. Multiple "critical battery issue" error messages and "high voltage warnings". Truck was towed to the service center and I'm waiting to hear back on the diagnostics and repair plan. I suspect it's going to be a HV battery pack replacement for me. Rivian has been very responsive. Had a mobile tech at my house within 2 hours and tow truck showed up on time. We'll see how the rest of it goes this week. The truck has been solid up to this point even with a low VIN#(6740). The first 5641 miles were glorious... ;)
Update from Rivian yesterday was they ordered a HV battery and rear drive unit. Once the parts arrive it will take a couple of days to swap everything out.

Sponsored

hardrock197

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Compass, R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Director, Technology
Those with noise that required drive unit replacement, what did it sound like? I have a clicking that I can detect between 15-30mph with moderate throttle, both on accel and decel. It clicks in frequency with vehicle/motor speed. Can only hear when windows are up due to other noises.
I have this, but not sure it's the same thing. I hear it when it's at the optimal line between throttle and regen. I describe it as purring. At the service center now, and today they got approval to replace the front drive unit. I have a loaner truck from the SC and will keep it until the work is complete.

Flabirder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model S P100DL
Mine had the left front drive unit fail after less than 100 miles. No problems since.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Update from Rivian yesterday was they ordered a HV battery and rear drive unit. Once the parts arrive it will take a couple of days to swap everything out.
Good thing it wasn't anything major!! Wow.....

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
Good thing it wasn't anything major!! Wow.....
Right... whew what a relief. ;) Good news is I've had the truck back for a minute now and all is well. Been driving it like a stole it and it appears to be back to normal. Time will tell!

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
When you say drive unit do you mean electric motors and inverter?

Sponsored

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
When you say drive unit do you mean electric motors and inverter?
They replaced the entire rear drive unit (motors, gear boxes, inverters, everything). I asked why and the answer was "it comes as a complete assembly from the factory". They simply R&R it. If you look at the Munro video where they took the drive unit out, then entire piece gets replaced.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

My R1S has been at the SC for a month, getting a replacement rear drive unit and some charging issues fixed. ~800 miles on the odometer. Iā€™m told today itā€™s finally fixed. Looking forward to being reunited tomorrow.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

My R1S has been at the SC for a month, getting a replacement rear drive unit and some charging issues fixed. ~800 miles on the odometer. Iā€™m told today itā€™s finally fixed. Looking forward to being reunited tomorrow.
and itā€™s finally back home with the new drive unit. So far so good. Will check back in another ~800 miles.

Leonc626

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Engineering PM
Took deliver on my R1S late June and had 800 miles on it. Range started degrading drastically around 600 miles. At 100% state ofcharge, I only got 150 miles... Dropped it off last week and received this message from the service center. Hopefully everything works out with no problems in the future *sigh*

Rivian R1T R1S HV battery / drive unit replacement experiences? IMG_6050

tchen811

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1S
Just dropped my R1S off at El Segundo SC. Gave me a electrical hazard error message this morning. I was still able to drive to the SC and I didnā€™t feel anything out of placeā€¦. Hope itā€™s an easy fixā€¦
Sponsored