Sponsored

Hummer broke down

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Terrible -
Watched this yesterday.
Its unfortunate, but we've seen similar instances with Rivian that unfortunately aren't resolved by a whick battery disconnect/reconnect.

Roman also gets quite panicked when things go sideways which is a bit hard to watch.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm guessing they were oblivious to the lack of a "Ready" symbol on the dash. Without that, the truck's HV battery isn't engaged and it won't do anything.

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
The fact that they thought calibrating the automatic windows was required to start the truck wasā€¦funny? And the infotainment resetsā€¦did they not read the message on the screen that said it was resetting the *infotainment*? Ugh. What a painful channel.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Iā€™m no fan of the Hummer, but I really hate these videos where Internet personalities freak out over a stranded EV (any EV). Do they create an entire video when one of their many ICE trucks breaks down? Maybe Iā€™m missing those?

Sometimes vehicles break down. Sometimes itā€™s right after you drive away from the dealer. Sometimes itā€™s 10 years later. Grow up.

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Roman also gets quite panicked when things go sideways which is a bit hard to watch.
Roman is so full of fake drama that I can't watch his stuff anymore. Not referring to this vid, but watching them have well-known "issues", well-known by them and countless others, and act like the sky is falling has grown old.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I'm guessing they were oblivious to the lack of a "Ready" symbol on the dash. Without that, the truck's HV battery isn't engaged and it won't do anything.
In their defence, they just got the vehicle and likely weren't looking for it.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Here are 3 of my take-aways from this video:
1. Always have a road flare, warning triangle, etc. in case your car breaks down in a high traffic area. Any car powered by anything.
2. Manufacturers should include printed instructions for common roadside breakdown issues: flat tire, dead vehicle, etc.
3. Rivian owners should probably keep an electronic copy of this https://assets.rivian.com/2md5qhoea...9ee5/R1-tow-operator-guide-en-us-20220831.pdf stored locally on their phone and a printed copy of it in their truck.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Iā€™m no fan of the Hummer, but I really hate these videos where Internet personalities freak out over a stranded EV (any EV). Do they create an entire video when one of their many ICE trucks breaks down? Maybe Iā€™m missing those?

Sometimes vehicles break down. Sometimes itā€™s right after you drive away from the dealer. Sometimes itā€™s 10 years later. Grow up.
Iā€™m guessing most YouTubers wouldnā€™t waste any opportunity of being stranded by any vehicle. Most of them are just looking for clicks and drama. Although some may protect certain manufacturers for ā€œfuture considerationā€, it isnā€™t very common for anyone to breakdown on the road.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

People tend to notice the presence of indicator lights rather than the absence of them. Probably best to have a green ready to move symbol when good to go and a red ready to move with a line through it or x over it symbol when you canā€™t move.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

1. Always have a road flare, warning triangle, etc. in case your car breaks down in a high traffic area. Any car powered by anything.
2. Manufacturers should include printed instructions for common roadside breakdown issues: flat tire, dead vehicle, etc.
3. Rivian owners should probably keep an electronic copy of this https://assets.rivian.com/2md5qhoea...9ee5/R1-tow-operator-guide-en-us-20220831.pdf stored locally on their phone and a printed copy of it in their truck.
My main take-away is that youtubers need to have a better understanding of the vehicles that they are purchasing before they purchase them.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

My main take-away is that youtubers need to have a better understanding of the vehicles that they are purchasing before they purchase them.
Given the number of inaccuracies Iā€™ve heard in videos on that channel in particular and most channels in general, I wouldnā€˜t count on it. Influencers and content creators arenā€™t journalists.

OP
OP

Wowme22

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Thank you for sharing tow operator guide. Very helpful.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Iā€™m guessing most YouTubers wouldnā€™t waste any opportunity of being stranded by any vehicle. Most of them are just looking for clicks and drama. Although some may protect certain manufacturers for ā€œfuture considerationā€, it isnā€™t very common for anyone to breakdown on the road.
I believe you are exactly right. Itā€™s unwatchable. Obviously people are free to spend their time doing whatever it is they want, including recording their own histrionics when a vehicle breaks down. Count me out.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Thank you for sharing toe operator guide. Very helpful.
Youā€™re welcome.

It was discussed here when it was first released for the R1T but I havenā€™t seen much chatter about it since. I donā€™t have my Rivian yet so they may already include a printed copy with delivered vehicles. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

I figured I may as well include the link just in case someone wanted it.
Sponsored