First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
SC got me a loaner on 20 AT. Haven't driven it that much yet but have driven on the roads that the front is noisy on my truck. I wouldn't say it's noise free from the clunky sounds but definetly better.
It has 1800 miles on it. Haven't checked vin yet

Update:
Still have loaner with vin 111xx. Now with a little over 2000 miles on odo.
It does have some frontend noise similar to mine but maybe not as bad. Definetly noticed it on the local Rivian club drive on forest service roads...lots of potholes. Loaner has a similar pull to right and steering wheel 3-4 degrees to left.
Sponsored

Last edited:

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
SC got me a loaner on 20 AT. Haven't driven it that much yet but have driven on the roads that the front is noisy on my truck. I wouldn't say it's noise free from the clunky sounds but definetly better.
It has 1800 miles on it. Haven't checked vin yet
My take on the variance of this noise we are hearing means it is not normal. Normal is when they all sound the same. Everyone in the same pitch, frequency, etc.. The variance says something changes from truck to truck. Be it a torque...a positioning of something...a tolerance of something or combination of somethings, etc...

Mine has 20's and it is bad enough it drives me nuts. I seem to even feel it in chassis sometimes too.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Has anyone been in an R-T that doesn’t have these or similar noises. My loaner does and the loaner of another poster does as well. Where are all these quiet trucks?
Yeah, mine. I have zero noise from the suspension, and I do a lot of off-road miles. If I had taken possession of a brand new vehicle with rattles and clunks in the suspension, it would have immediately gone back to the service center and sat there until that was gone!

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Yeah, mine. I have zero noise from the suspension, and I do a lot of off-road miles. If I had taken possession of a brand new vehicle with rattles and clunks in the suspension, it would have immediately gone back to the service center and sat there until that was gone!
This is another excellent example of how noisy suspension is not normal. Service centers are saying it is normal because they simply are trying to punt this one back to customer and don't have answers from the mother ship. The mother ship needs to get involved in this and get it solved.

oybed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, LG, LE, BM, 20" AT
Do any of you get a "womp" sound when the front end comes down over a speed bump or at the top of a garage ramp? I have that as well as the other noises.
yes, I do have a sound like that occasionally - speed bumps, or a small pothole, etc.

Sponsored

Rivan

First Name
Rivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lexus RX350, Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Eng
Clubs

Last edited:

Leojatlas

First Name
JA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have a week old R1T with a noisy front end. It sounds like a 1992 Ford Explorer. The best words I can use is rattles and squeeks. Does anyone have a video they can share to see if we are all talking about the same issue. Here is a link to my video. It's hard to capture the noise on the phone but you'll get the idea.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-5UE3_jnBNCtrItP5dU1Et6mT8sNF6w3?usp=sharing
That sounds like mine while driving at low speeds on bad pavement. 9k VIN. To me the suspension noise sounds “jingly”. I’ve asked the mobile tech and SC and they all say it is typical. It is annoying.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
That sounds like mine while driving at low speeds on bad pavement. 9k VIN. To me the suspension noise sounds “jingly”. I’ve asked the mobile tech and SC and they all say it is typical. It is annoying.
If it is "normal" then too many people at some point in development gave it a pass, that definitely shouldn't have. For a premium vehicle in a premium price class, it is very annoying. And if I had been in that position, it would have been, "stop...back to drawing board...this isn't going to be acceptable to the target customer...we need to find a way to eliminate or significantly reduce how this is heard/percieved in the cabin".

danen1973

First Name
Nenad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

If it is "normal" then too many people at some point in development gave it a pass, that definitely shouldn't have. For a premium vehicle in a premium price class, it is very annoying. And if I had been in that position, it would have been, "stop...back to drawing board...this isn't going to be acceptable to the target customer...we need to find a way to eliminate or significantly reduce how this is heard/percieved in the cabin".
I came out of a ‘20 BMW X5 with dual axle air suspension. I never heard any notices from it. Something isn’t right. It’s possible that Rivian discovered it too late in the process but still decided to move forward. Others above have commented that Rivian has sourced new suspensions from another vendor. Maybe they realized it was going to be too expensive to repair the existing setup so they will just call it “normal”.
I’ve owned number of luxury cars (BMW, Audi, Volvo all with air suspension, they had different issues but suspension noise was never an issue). and haven’t ever heard the sounds from the suspension.
If I had the equipment I sure would like to track down where the sounds are coming from. Maybe place microphones in several places and drive the truck around. That might help identify where the sounds are coming from. If they get rid of that sound this truck would be awesome.

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Anecdotal, but… watched a couple episodes of the long way up again and noticed you could hear the noises when they were on bad roads.

Rivan

First Name
Rivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lexus RX350, Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Eng
Clubs

Do you have the Link to this Recall ?

DaveA