Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

It is a great idea and could help with vampire drain as well as clearly letting people know when the vehicle is off.
And it’s optional. You don’t have to use it unless you want to make 100% sure it’s off. Having an optional manual override is never a bad thing.

Given @Shazam ‘s experience, I guess we’d be screwed if the sensor for the seat belt broke making the R1 think the belt is always fastened. It sounds like there is currently no way to shut a Rivian off if that happens.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
wow! that is quite the experience. I would have probably done the same but I hope the trespassing isn't discovered.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Again, this is why I think they should develop a legacy mode. You double tap park and the truck shuts down or goes into the deepest possible sleep. When you get in you have to either double tap again or put your foot on the brake and tap park to boot it back up. Other EV manufacturers still have a push button start to avoid stuff like this.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Even using an existing control for this would be nice. Someone suggested using the Park button on the end of the right stalk. Double-tap or tap once then press and hold for a few seconds. Something to indicate power down which couldn’t be activated while the vehicle is in motion.
Problem with this is that it requires they actually do it.

Being able to trigger from app is more valuable as it can be checked by owner remotely and then triggered without relying on a shop, valet, etc... to know to do it.

App could simply give state of vehicle and if it was in the "on" state, and not being driven, App could have ability to trigger it to "off" regardless of things like seat belts being engaged.

OP
OP

Shazam

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi q7
Occupation
Philanderer
Clubs

wow! that is quite the experience. I would have probably done the same but I hope the trespassing isn't discovered.
I was totally transparent with the shop owners. Let them know what happened later that morning. They didn't want a 7000 pound paper weight blocking their garage door either. They were thankful I went in.

In regards to door being unlocked they said one of their workers gets in early so maybe they unlocked the door early? I yelled as I was entering and place was completely empty.

Looking back maybe I should have tried to call service but based on other posts I have reviewed I didn't think they had the ability to do a remote hard turnoff.

I would have preferred to take my brand new toy to a rivian service center, but driving ~200 miles at 19 mph to Brooklyn wasn't an option and would have been a expensive and time consuming option to flatbed it there. I was actually relieved that rivian service told me about a local place. Local place was super nice and I'd bring it back there in the future if needed, this was a learning experience for them foo. They do a large amount of work on tesla and once they get through a few growing pains it will be great to have a reliable local option.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Problem with this is that it requires they actually do it.

Being able to trigger from app is more valuable as it can be checked by owner remotely and then triggered without relying on a shop, valet, etc... to know to do it.

App could simply give state of vehicle and if it was in the "on" state, and not being driven, App could have ability to trigger it to "off" regardless of things like seat belts being engaged.
Why not both? It’s not like they’re mutually exclusive. Some people would like to make sure the vehicle is truly off when they end their drive.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Why not both? It’s not like they’re mutually exclusive. Some people would like to make sure the vehicle is truly off when they end their drive.
Both is great. I was just commenting to OP problem which was service center left front seat buckled. But in general both is great.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

So what was the problem? The drivers seat belt was buckled (I'm guessing repair person didn't want it dinging when driving)

So be forewarned, tell the repair shop to keep the seat belt unbuckled...
This is unacceptable.

I believe I mentioned a very simple solution for this in a previous thread that Rivian could implement easily. If the seat belt is fastened for more than X hours or reaches Y% battery, but there are no other changing inputs (steering, acceleration, GPS motion, motion detect by cameras, infotainment interaction, or in pet friendly mode, etc) it’s likely that the vehicle is unoccupied. Prompt for user input on the screen with an annoying audible alert, and if no response or motion, power off. If someone is in the vehicle and does not respond, keeping the power on is at that point irrelevant.

They put it in park if you lift your butt off the seat while reversing, this is not rocket science, sheesh.

Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Just curious, what would’ve happened if the battery completely drained and you weren’t able to get in? Sorry for the stupid question, this will be my first EV. Would it damage the vehicle/ components in any way?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It seems like several things have been reported, anywhere from just recharging with no other issues, to total brick.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
I suppose such a button, it it were big and red, might actually be pushed by the service dept.

history_eraser_button.jpg
THE SHINY, CANDYLIKE BUTTON

Such a good episode. "Space Madness". RIGHT in the childhood.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This is unacceptable.

I believe I mentioned a very simple solution for this in a previous thread that Rivian could implement easily. If the seat belt is fastened for more than X hours or reaches Y% battery, but there are no other changing inputs (steering, acceleration, GPS motion, motion detect by cameras, infotainment interaction, or in pet friendly mode, etc) it’s likely that the vehicle is unoccupied. Prompt for user input on the screen with an annoying audible alert, and if no response or motion, power off. If someone is in the vehicle and does not respond, keeping the power on is at that point irrelevant.

They put it in park if you lift your butt off the seat while reversing, this is not rocket science, sheesh.
This is the optimum, KISS principle compliant solution.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Just curious, what would’ve happened if the battery completely drained and you weren’t able to get in? Sorry for the stupid question, this will be my first EV. Would it damage the vehicle/ components in any way?
Once the main batts go dead, the 12V batts follow and the vehicle becomes a 7'000lb brick that can not be moved (because it is locked in Park w/the brakes on) with no way to get inside it.
Sponsored