First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T DMP Max Pack
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I've had an appointment set up for about a month for this service center for a charge port door adjustment, and possibly a replacement front camera. Both of these items seem fairly small and I was expecting to get to the service center and wait a couple of hours while they worked on it, and then be on my way.

To my surprise, when I got there this morning they let me know my vehicle is now in a queue and they should be able to look at it in the next 36-48 hours. I live 7 minutes away from the service center and my car is completely drivable. I would rather drive my vehicle until the SC is ready to actually start working on it. Why make an appointment if it's just going to sit at the SC for several days upon arrival? Am I being unreasonable, or is this pretty standard practice? To add to the matter, the rental they put me in is a Ram 1500 with the 3.6L gas engine and the most basic model. I wish I could've gotten an R1, Tesla, or other EV instead of this ICE.

I had a Ram 1500 previously and servicing it was nothing like this. When I made an appointment, they were ready to work on it as soon as I got there. Is my experience pretty normal.
Sponsored

billchurch

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Well that stinks. Our F150 that I traded in for our R1S spent 4 days at the Ford dealer to replace a new tire. The at least picked it up and gave me a loaner but... AutoNation Ford (closest to me) had service booked out over a month routinely... Not sure if this is a new trend or I'm just lucky...

Weird that they would want to keep it and not work on it, maybe it's a situation of if they have downtime they can work on it while waiting for something else...

OP
OP

NauticalSpiR1T

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T DMP Max Pack
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Well that stinks. Our F150 that I traded in for our R1S spent 4 days at the Ford dealer to replace a new tire. The at least picked it up and gave me a loaner but... AutoNation Ford (closest to me) had service booked out over a month routinely... Not sure if this is a new trend or I'm just lucky...

Weird that they would want to keep it and not work on it, maybe it's a situation of if they have downtime they can work on it while waiting for something else...
Yeah, I'm guessing it's just an easy way to make sure their techs are always busy and there's little possibility of them having down time. By always having a queue of cars waiting to be serviced it ensures there's no way of them finishing early for the day. It's just such so minor what they're working on that I'm wondering if it's even worth not driving my R1T for a week or so. I hate driving anything else. I think it would've been slightly better if I had gotten a loaner from them instead of Enterprise.

tculpepp

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Damn, I dropped my truck at the Tampa SC on Monday for some minor stuff. On Wed I was told it was "still in the que" and today I got "I sent a message to the foreman to ask about the repair plan and ETC". I don't think they've touched the truck yet. 🤷

1 week of driving a well worn 2019 VW rental when it feels like I could have still been driving the rivian. Frustrating for sure. I'm trying to be patient, and at least I have a NACS adapter (A2Z) for the road trip home now so I can take the scenic route.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I've had an appointment set up for about a month for this service center for a charge port door adjustment, and possibly a replacement front camera. Both of these items seem fairly small and I was expecting to get to the service center and wait a couple of hours while they worked on it, and then be on my way.

To my surprise, when I got there this morning they let me know my vehicle is now in a queue and they should be able to look at it in the next 36-48 hours. I live 7 minutes away from the service center and my car is completely drivable. I would rather drive my vehicle until the SC is ready to actually start working on it. Why make an appointment if it's just going to sit at the SC for several days upon arrival? Am I being unreasonable, or is this pretty standard practice? To add to the matter, the rental they put me in is a Ram 1500 with the 3.6L gas engine and the most basic model. I wish I could've gotten an R1, Tesla, or other EV instead of this ICE.

I had a Ram 1500 previously and servicing it was nothing like this. When I made an appointment, they were ready to work on it as soon as I got there. Is my experience pretty normal.
Rivian is a start up. If you're expecting to have them service your car like an established major dealership, you're going to be let down.

Sponsored

OP
OP

NauticalSpiR1T

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T DMP Max Pack
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Damn, I dropped my truck at the Tampa SC on Monday for some minor stuff. On Wed I was told it was "still in the que" and today I got "I sent a message to the foreman to ask about the repair plan and ETC". I don't think they've touched the truck yet. 🤷

1 week of driving a well worn 2019 VW rental when it feels like I could have still been driving the rivian. Frustrating for sure. I'm trying to be patient, and at least I have a NACS adapter (A2Z) for the road trip home now so I can take the scenic route.
That sucks man! Sorry to hear about that! Luckily they told me today it should be ready by tomorrow morning. The total work will take about an hour and a half and I would have been out of my truck for 3 days. Just seems excessive and a waste of money on their part with the rentals to do this with every customer.

OP
OP

NauticalSpiR1T

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T DMP Max Pack
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Rivian is a start up. If you're expecting to have them service your car like an established major dealership, you're going to be let down.
If everybody had this mentality, there would be no driver for them to change or do better. I expect much better after dropping $100k on a truck. After all, we are all pretty amazed with the product and doing the same with the service network would assist sales.

Most of the short term issues with service could likely be resolved, or made more tolerable, with better management and communication. I think as soon as I made made my appointment a month prior, they could have let me know I would be in a rental for a week or so to set those expectations straight. It's rough when you get the surprise the day you are dropping off your vehicle after expecting to sit in their lobby for an hour or so while they fix it.

If we have low expectations of them, they're guaranteed to let themselves down.
Sponsored