Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac CTS
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Maybe it's defective....
The thing is, it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with it. It's just not loud enough for the purposes one uses a horn.

Every Harley I owned was the same....wimpy horn. The first thing I always did with a new Harley was change out the slip on mufflers and replace the horn with an air horn. I'd love to be able to replace my R1T's horn with an air horn.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
The thing is, it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with it. It's just not loud enough for the purposes one uses a horn.

Every Harley I owned was the same....wimpy horn. The first thing I always did with a new Harley was change out the slip on mufflers and replace the horn with an air horn. I'd love to be able to replace my R1T's horn with an air horn.
Well, there is a compressor for the suspension, so a Tee fitting would get you an air tap for a solenoid valve.... 💨

Rivian R1T R1S Horn - Needs work! 1686185953817

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

Hella Supertones will fit stock location. Unfortunately they don't sound right for the truck.

But, to @Zoidz point there's actually more than enough space underneath between rear axle and battery.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I want a visual indicator for when the horn is sounding on the driver dash as well. You will not hear it if you had anything playing on the sound system.
Just look for the finger...

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the Hella Sharptones sound better than the Supertones and are physically a little smaller. If they'll fit, I may upgrade at some point...depending on how much crap I have to take off to get to them.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Someone please work on this problem and give us a solution. Three justifiable horn uses today, wasn't sure if it even went off with the last one. It's so dang low volume.

BG_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac CTS
Someone please work on this problem and give us a solution. Three justifiable horn uses today, wasn't sure if it even went off with the last one. It's so dang low volume.
So glad I found this thread as I thought I had a defective horn (maybe I do). My sons toddler big wheel has a louder horn than what I just heard from my first attempt. My wife and I were switching parking spots and she was about to hit a garbage can while backing out. So I laid out on the R1S horn and could barely hear a thing. She heard nothing. My neighbors, who are not big EV fans, now have a legitimate reason to bust my balls. What a wimpy horn.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
All of this horn talk is interesting. I do not think I have used a horn more than 3 times this century, it would literally be the last thing on my list of things to even look at on a vehicle.

Not even sure I have ever heard the horn on my Tesla and I have had that car 6 years.
You have never been to India.

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

So glad I found this thread as I thought I had a defective horn (maybe I do). My sons toddler big wheel has a louder horn than what I just heard from my first attempt. My wife and I were switching parking spots and she was about to hit a garbage can while backing out. So I laid out on the R1S horn and could barely hear a thing. She heard nothing. My neighbors, who are not big EV fans, now have a legitimate reason to bust my balls. What a wimpy horn.
I actually brought this up to the mobile service guy that was here as I thought mine was defective too and he said sometime earlier this year they stopped equipping Rivians with dual horns and now just with a single. Maybe thats the problem

Byrd

First Name
JE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t quad, 2500 lbz, TL
there is a Facebook "Rivian Group" video of a horn comparison between 2022 and 2023 R1S.

On my 10/2022 built R1T (with two horns), it also sounds like one of the dual tones isn't working

Sponsored

OP
OP
a76marine

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Jeep J10 (Pickup Truck) & 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analytics and Intelligence
Clubs

there is a Facebook "Rivian Group" video of a horn comparison between 2022 and 2023 R1S.

On my 10/2022 built R1T (with two horns), it also sounds like one of the dual tones isn't working
Any chance you'd have a link, or a name of the specific group? There's dozens of Rivian Groups on FB.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
There’re a lot of people looking at their phones while at a red light and not realizing the light has turned green. That’s when I use the horn the most. There were already 2 instances that the person could not hear my horn. Never happened with my previous vehicles. The horn is pathetic.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Used my horn for the first time (to try to signal to someone they should move over to the left - yes not intended use). I don’t think they heard it.
My wife and I laughed pretty hard at what seems to be a toy’s horn.
Not sure what they intend the horn to be used for but nothing commonly known by normal drivers.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Horn sound and is sad.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
Had a driver move into my lane apparently did not see me. I was able to slow quickly but also used horn to alert the other driver. I could see the driver did not hear the horn.
I am thinking location of the horns (low on the vehicle) and the small directed opening for sound my be the issue. In the driveway they sound ok but out in the open they are very hard to hear.
Would like a recall by Rivian to address this issue
Sponsored