Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Awe hell, sorry @aw113sgte. Glad you didn't go over the side. Also glad to see a proper D-shackle hitch mount for recovery.
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Last edited:

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

It's not the brakes. the ATs are not good at stopping or turning when they are cold in packed snow or slippery surfaces.
Right. But the ATs also aren't good at stopping on dry pavement being in neutral with weak brakes. I was shocked to the point of alarm the first time I tried slowing aggressively in neutral. I'm just suggesting being prepared before using neutral for the first time.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I agree, which is how I found out about my issue with the 20s. However, Rivian's official answer to unlocking the wheels if they are sliding because of a regen situation is to accelerate. So if you encounter an unexpected slide (like this), ABS isn't available unless you accelerate first, and then quickly get to the brake before the wheels lock again.
It's kinda the same thing as pumping the brakes in a car without ABS. All it takes is probably just a little tap on the throttle. We had one day of snow on the ground here and nothing since, I don't see anything in the 10 day forecast that looks like accumulation either.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Before you bed your brakes, take them out to dinner and movie first...maybe they'll perform better? :p
More like eat in, watch TV and not leave the house. Best performance you'll get from the brakes!

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's kinda the same thing as pumping the brakes in a car without ABS. All it takes is probably just a little tap on the throttle. We had one day of snow on the ground here and nothing since, I don't see anything in the 10 day forecast that looks like accumulation either.
I know. How many people do you think have "pump the accelerator" as part of muscle memory at this point though. There's a reason ABS systems are mandated.

CUBldr97

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TESLA MS85 RIVIAN reservation holder

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I always take time the first snowfall to get to know how a new vehicle is going to behave in situations that aren't perilous. I'm probably in a minority here but it's super important to know these things and learn how to control the vehicle to avoid unwanted situations.
Rivian should have taken your advice. IMO, they didn't plan for winter, period.

Rivian made the same assumption that most of us did, which is that all 4WD and AWD vehicles we've had in snow country handle winter conditions reasonably, if not exceptionally well. Even or especially with AT's in mild conditions.

But we have how many other off-road options that will seldomly or never get used? So we got that going for us, which is nice.

The VAG EV vehicles have blended braking and lower regen which works really well in winter. Same for your Polestar. Hyundai has paddle shifters expressly for 4 stages of Regen, plus a button on the steering wheel for snow mode (low regen).

This is a whiff. Good news is Rivian can correct it with an OTA snow mode option, and by several accounts, seem to be working on it. Unfortunately, they waited until well into winter when it should have been a priority.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
... Is this not just an example of driving too fast for conditions? With how long the accelerator in the Rivian is and how amazing the traction control is programmed for acceleration, it's easy to get in over your head.
Obviously I don’t know how fast OP was going, but I take him at his word that he’s driven down that same driveway in Wisconsin winters for 10 years with a whole bunch of different vehicles without issue. If you look at his photos it sure looks like his driveway curves slightly but the Rivian just kept going straight.

I do think there is an element of muscle memory here and we all need to forget some of what we know about driving in snow/ ice In a gas vehicle. But there sure are a bunch of accounts so far of experienced winter drivers who had acute puckering in situations they normally wouldn’t. It can’t be all driver error.

I say this as someone who doesn’t have mine yet so I’m obviously just speculating. I‘m paying extra close attention to this since I am a 1 vehicle person and my R1T needs to get me places all year long. I guess snow tires will be in my future for the first time ever.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I’m getting more and more worried about this and I really hope Rivian addresses it. My R1S is scheduled for summer ‘23, so I’ll have some time before next winter, but I’m almost fully committed to figuring out some snow tire situation.
Well I guess everyone that wants snow mode gets what they want.
https://rivian.software/version-2022-47/

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Wow, those tires are allegedly:
  • 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake certified
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

Very sorry to hear about your experience and damage. Yikes.
Keep in mind that not all 3-peak snowflake tires perform equally. I think it was Tire Rack that had a test video where one or two of their 3-peak tires actually outperformed some dedicated snow tires. They also had a video where an all-terrain tire that wasn't 3-peak rated actually outperformed some of the all-terrain tires that were 3-peak rated.

I'm not saying the rating is worthless because I don't believe that at all, but I am saying that 3-peak certification isn't going to guarantee that a tire is great in the snow.
Sponsored