Sponsored

Getting terrible efficiency numbers

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
The Rivian trip computer is broken, afaik. It says I've averaged ~2.4 mi/kWh over the last ~5k miles, yet it says my 100% range is only 280 miles. I've tapped the "reset" button many times and it never changes anything. I've got a service ticket in and it's crickets from Rivian. The most I can get from them is "we're waiting for the diagnostic team to look into it". That was a month ago :-(
Not necessarily. Your overall average shouldn't necessarily be the sole basis for determining your projected total range, because it's based on different driving. I wouldn't want to know how far I can go based on the average driving habits over 5k miles, I want to know how far I can go when driving at a constant speed, probably on the highway. So that's to say, I'd be shocked if the range estimate is just a simple extrapolation of the efficiency numbers. If anything, I could see them pulling out just the efficiency data when driving at highway speeds, and use that for the total range estimate.

Daily driving habits are irrelevant on a trip, because there is only one way to drive 65-75 mph on the highway. So really, range estimates shouldn't even differ from vehicle/owner to another. I haven't seen the total projected range numbers deviate between owners by more than a mile or two, and that's probably accurate in reality. My truck should get the same range as your truck if we set out on the same trip (setting aside HVAC use), regardless of our daily driving habits and efficiency stats.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Not necessarily. Your overall average shouldn't necessarily be the sole basis for determining your projected total range, because it's based on different driving. I wouldn't want to know how far I can go based on the average driving habits over 5k miles, I want to know how far I can go when driving at a constant speed, probably on the highway. So that's to say, I'd be shocked if the range estimate is just a simple extrapolation of the efficiency numbers. If anything, I could see them pulling out just the efficiency data when driving at highway speeds, and use that for the total range estimate.

Daily driving habits are irrelevant on a trip, because there is only one way to drive 65-75 mph on the highway. So really, range estimates shouldn't even differ from vehicle/owner to another. I haven't seen the total projected range numbers deviate between owners by more than a mile or two, and that's probably accurate in reality. My truck should get the same range as your truck if we set out on the same trip (setting aside HVAC use), regardless of our daily driving habits and efficiency stats.
Um, wat?

Rivian claims that their estimate should be informed by your driving habits. You're saying the opposite, but Rivian has said they do not want to do what you've said.

But it doesn't matter... Either way it's broken.

If it's based on my driving habits, it's wrong by a huge margin.

If it's not based on my driving habits, but rather an "ideal" circumstance then it's also wrong by a huge margin. It doesn't match other vehicles (or what my vehicle said when delivered -- or for two months after delivery).

It's broken. Just broken.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Did you happen to have your 120v outlets turned on? That phantom drain is excessive and seems like your truck didn't go to sleep. As @Dark-Fx mentioned the efficiency number includes time sitting there doing nothing, so if you drive infrequently your efficiency takes a hit.

The Rivian trip computer is broken, afaik. It says I've averaged ~2.4 mi/kWh over the last ~5k miles, yet it says my 100% range is only 280 miles. I've tapped the "reset" button many times and it never changes anything. I've got a service ticket in and it's crickets from Rivian. The most I can get from them is "we're waiting for the diagnostic team to look into it". That was a month ago :-(
Um, wat?

Rivian claims that their estimate should be informed by your driving habits. You're saying the opposite, but Rivian has said they do not want to do what you've said.

If it's not based on my driving habits, but rather an "ideal" circumstance then it's also wrong by a huge margin. It doesn't match other vehicles (or what my vehicle said when delivered -- or for two months after delivery).

I have been wondering what's going on and have just assumed the "when full" estimate has currently based on battery capacity with the standard efficiency numbers because mine doesn't change at all.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
It doesn't seem that crazy to me. When I'm commuting in the city that's what I get. Longer trips I do better. But it's not an efficient vehicle. It's a brick.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Did you happen to have your 120v outlets turned on? That phantom drain is excessive and seems like your truck didn't go to sleep. As @Dark-Fx mentioned the efficiency number includes time sitting there doing nothing, so if you drive infrequently your efficiency takes a hit.

I have been wondering what's going on and have just assumed the "when full" estimate has currently based on battery capacity with the standard efficiency numbers because mine doesn't change at all.
I can confirm that 18k miles in my 'range' number has not changed either. I certainly haven't been averaging the 2.1 mi/kWh to justify a 270 mile range on a full charge.

Also echo @CommodoreAmiga comments about the trip computer, it is not reliable, I wouldn't call it broken but I have seen the numbers get corrupted several times in both directions.

Also to add for those of you blaming cold weather. Since I had my truck during the tail end of last winter (late March delivery) and spent plenty of time in the mountains I didn't see an efficiency hit of more than 10% overall in those conditions.

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Jeep J10 (Pickup Truck) & 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analytics and Intelligence
Clubs

Make sure your tire pressures are correct as well. My truck was delivered with 41psi and I was getting 1.86 mi/kwh but when I inflated them to the 48 recommended pressure I am getting 2.11.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Just checked mine, and over the last 1400 miles I've average 2.2 mi/kwh. With an average speed of 27 mph (gotta love living in crowded city). Seems like something weird might be going on that you should have looked at.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Um, wat?

I've got a service order in November with this concern on the ticket. I'll make sure to post about what service says, if anything. Mine hasn't changed in over 6 months.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
You're also launching an 8,000lb load from 0-whatever frequently in stop-n-go traffic and that costs energy vs. coasting at 60mph. Back in the day, we did a study in college (Auto Engineering major) and IIRC, it took under 25hp to keep a vehicle rolling at 60mph.

Sponsored

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
Am I the only R1T owner in this forum getting terrible efficiency numbers?
I have the 20” AT so it’s expected to be less than the 21 or 22’s but I am avg 1.44 mi/kWh in daily driving. Hardly ever punching it.
also one night in 4 hours lost 10% SOC 🤯
Take a look: you can see from the time stamp what I lost!
5CE2112C-340D-4A68-B95B-6445D3DD94F3.jpeg
923347EA-930C-456F-B0CB-A1A8BED134CE.jpeg
F205E98B-8D0B-42BF-9601-4282B9CFB1CA.png

This is what everyone at some point in their response should have said.

You need to contact Rivian, plain and simple.

There are some many factors that your post leave out. They will help you.

Please report back with what you find out from them.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Hills destroy efficiency. I live in a hilly part of town - and I can drive around for hours and get >2 mi/kWh easy, then just drive the last 2 miles home, and watch my efficiency average plummet to 1.8.

Of course, I make some of that back when I leave home again, but regeneration isn't perfect.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Am I the only R1T owner in this forum getting terrible efficiency numbers?
I have the 20” AT so it’s expected to be less than the 21 or 22’s but I am avg 1.44 mi/kWh in daily driving.
Did you get this issue resolved?

For reference my truck just came back from the service center for firmware issues, but they double checked the alignment (which was basically perfect on delivery day) and tire balance. I did a test drive to examine efficiency and was shocked to get 2.51 mi/kWh on my 20" ATs in all purpose mode in 50⁰F weather. The following were key factors: there was no wind and I drove as steady as possible in the right lane of the highway, which was fairly flat and had few bends.
Rivian R1T R1S Getting terrible efficiency numbers 20221121_121515

Last edited:

johnstuder

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Just to add in, my life time efficiency also seems below average. This is in FL, with mostly around town driving. Only a couple 100 mile+ road trips. Mostly flat around here. 20" ATs, rails on the back tonneau closed.
Rivian R1T R1S Getting terrible efficiency numbers 20221122_080323

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
To re-emphasize. Tire pressure is very important.

I noticed range loss and pressure at 41-42psi. I inflated to 47 PSI and instantly gained 20+% efficiency. Tire pressure seems to be extremely important. I went from around 1.8kwh to 2.3+. Crazy just a few pounds making such a big difference.
Sponsored