First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Software sales
The wife and I went to dinner the other night, picked an end of row parking spot with plenty of room to get in and out of the car, so should be safe right... wrong. We come out after dinner and I notice two dings in the rear passenger door, so I check gear guard. Yep, there she is, sweet looking older lady opens her car door carefully, but doesn't hold it and the wind grabs it slamming it into our R1S. I watch the entire video waiting for the lady pull out of the spot next to us so that I can get an angle on the license plate to file a report. Nope, Gear Guard only plays for 30 seconds which isn't enough time for the lady to get buckled up, and on her way so I can't get any identifying info on the car. That's ok, because surely when I download the event onto my USB and review it on my computer it will be a longer clip... wrong again. It's 30 seconds period, so now I ether have to file a claim which comes with a $500 deductible, or I just pay it out of pocket which is the more likely scenario. It isn't just a paintless dent repair as there are scratches from the impact as well. So far I can see no way to get more footage from Gear Guard, so absolutely unless...
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Yeah, it would be great if Rivian could give us a user adjustable setting of "keep recording xxx min after motion event" like most DVR's and NVR's have nowadays. 30 sec is not enough time to catch anything significant. I mean we're putting in 1TB drives, we don't need 2 months of 30sec recordings, I'd rather be able to set my event recording parameters.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

The wife and I went to dinner the other night, picked an end of row parking spot with plenty of room to get in and out of the car, so should be safe right... wrong. We come out after dinner and I notice two dings in the rear passenger door, so I check gear guard. Yep, there she is, sweet looking older lady opens her car door carefully, but doesn't hold it and the wind grabs it slamming it into our R1S. I watch the entire video waiting for the lady pull out of the spot next to us so that I can get an angle on the license plate to file a report. Nope, Gear Guard only plays for 30 seconds which isn't enough time for the lady to get buckled up, and on her way so I can't get any identifying info on the car. That's ok, because surely when I download the event onto my USB and review it on my computer it will be a longer clip... wrong again. It's 30 seconds period, so now I ether have to file a claim which comes with a $500 deductible, or I just pay it out of pocket which is the more likely scenario. It isn't just a paintless dent repair as there are scratches from the impact as well. So far I can see no way to get more footage from Gear Guard, so absolutely unless...
Man this sucks! I would be livid. Restaurant doesn't have any security cameras?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yeah, I would rather have 30 days of 1 minute videos than 60 days of 30 second videos. Although there is no guarantee you would have been able to read the plate on the video it would have been nice to have a chance to try.

Sponsored

OP
OP

alamatth

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Software sales
Yeah, I would rather have 30 days of 1 minute videos than 60 days of 30 second videos. Although there is no guarantee you would have been able to read the plate on the video it would have been nice to have a chance to try.
A chance and even if I couldn't make out the plate I could get a make and model maybe. All I see in the video is a white midsize suv. I think it's an Infiniti Q60, but it could be any number of makes.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Hopefully this feedback makes it way to Wassym and the OTA team. You're correct, 30 secs is no use. Keep that camera rolling

Sucks, but I believe in Karma. She'll get a flat tyre or tread bare-footed on some Lego.

GreenOptimist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Yes, or live notifications of incidents, so you could have seen it when it happened and stepped outside to collect some driver/insurance info.
Like the idea for low traffic parking spots. But as it stands now there would need to be some sensitivity adjustments available and/or event type detection (impact, theft attempt vs. pedestrian within 3 ft) . If I’m at parking spots where people walk by a lot there is a recording every 20-30 seconds.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
So if you ding someone's door, is the moral of the story here to wait 5 minutes before backing out of your parking space so that you can't be tracked?

In all seriousness, how long would a recording really have to be to be useful in every possible scenario?

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
So if you ding someone's door, is the moral of the story here to wait 5 minutes before backing out of your parking space so that you can't be tracked?

In all seriousness, how long would a recording really have to be to be useful in every possible scenario?
There's a "pre-motion" few seconds buffer, then the motion incident which can be xxxx sec or min long, and we're discussing the "after motion ends" extra time, which for automobile applications 2min maybe? Like the OP mentioned, 30 sec wasn't enough time for the person to get in, get settled in, buckle up, start it up and take off.

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
I've resorted to just parking as far as possible and walking. I drop the wife off and try and get as far away as I can (to the restaurant ;)). It's not practical in all situations but I don't mind walking. I also had to get a door imperfection at the service center repaired by the PDR guy they use and it came out great. R1S has ridiculously soft metal that will ding so keep a PDR person in mind.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Ah, you reject the usefulness of 1000's of recordings of you walking out to the Rivian. When I go out to my Rivian that's usually what awaits me. At least the "processing" part.

You'd think they'd cancel the recording when the vehicle unlocks. but nope. Selfies for everyone.

It also misses a lot of events.

At work I typically park between two cars, and when I walk out to my car the cars are gone. So I expect to see two videos of people driving away. But, I only see the one. Apparently it only records when it sees a human, but a vehicle itself is just as capable of leaving a dent/scratch.

So I don't get it.

I also tried to use the drivecam to prove that I wasn't guilty of speeding. This was also a let down because the video doesn't record GPS speed or any kind of speed. All you can do is use the features that go by. I went through a length process to do so (by creating a reference video), and all that did was prove that I was speeding. DOH!!.

FYI - Old people love routine so you could always do a stakeout.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
You have video that proves the incident wasn't your fault, and you have to pay your deductible?
crazy.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
Hopefully this feedback makes it way to Wassym and the OTA team. You're correct, 30 secs is no use. Keep that camera rolling

Sucks, but I believe in Karma. She'll get a flat tyre or tread bare-footed on some Lego.
👍🏼👍🏼
Sponsored