Garage Door Opener, Tailwind

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Have seen a few posts related to Homelink, MyQ, garage door openers. Wanted to mention Tailwind as an option. I added a MyQ sensor to my garage 3-4 years ago, then replaced with a Tailwind (gotailwind.com) sensor ~a year ago. MyQ was ok, but not as reliable as I'd like using my iphone to open the door, and I wasn't able to automate opening and closing (may be a way to pay more/more hardware to do this). I find Tailwind to be much more reliable and helpful. More trouble to install, wires directly to your opener, the drive itself, but its pretty straight forward. If you use an iPhone, you put a small disc shaped sensor in your car that links to your phone via bluetooth. From what i understand, android phones don't require the sensor.

But after that it works as you'd want and expect. No problems with the bluetooth connections, WiFi, etc. Tailwind opens the door automatically when I return to my garage, and closes the garage door after I leave home (though you need to be a ~250 - 500 feet away for these to trigger). We don't even think about doing those steps any more. Have a sensor in each of our cars, that tie to both my phone and my wife's (iphones). Works when I drive my wifes car or vice versa, etc. Works with Alexa, though we rarely use that. Dont' get any unwanted opens or closes. Sends reminders when the door is left open. Customer service is good, and they have instructions for hooking to many brands.

One controller with one vehicle sensor is $70, and an extra sensor is $20, looks like a sale price. Good summary/recommendation on the wirecutter website. Does anyone else here have this? Surprised it hasn't been mentioned before.
Sponsored

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Have seen a few posts related to Homelink, MyQ, garage door openers. Wanted to mention Tailwind as an option. I added a MyQ sensor to my garage 3-4 years ago, then replaced with a Tailwind (gotailwind.com) sensor ~a year ago. MyQ was ok, but not as reliable as I'd like using my iphone to open the door, and I wasn't able to automate opening and closing (may be a way to pay more/more hardware to do this). I find Tailwind to be much more reliable and helpful. More trouble to install, wires directly to your opener, the drive itself, but its pretty straight forward. If you use an iPhone, you put a small disc shaped sensor in your car that links to your phone via bluetooth. From what i understand, android phones don't require the sensor.

But after that it works as you'd want and expect. No problems with the bluetooth connections, WiFi, etc. Tailwind opens the door automatically when I return to my garage, and closes the garage door after I leave home (though you need to be a ~250 - 500 feet away for these to trigger). We don't even think about doing those steps any more. Have a sensor in each of our cars, that tie to both my phone and my wife's (iphones). Works when I drive my wifes car or vice versa, etc. Works with Alexa, though we rarely use that. Dont' get any unwanted opens or closes. Sends reminders when the door is left open. Customer service is good, and they have instructions for hooking to many brands.

One controller with one vehicle sensor is $70, and an extra sensor is $20, looks like a sale price. Good summary/recommendation on the wirecutter website. Does anyone else here have this? Surprised it hasn't been mentioned before.
Sounds almost ideal. I take I there's no way to adjust the distance from the garage? While I have a pretty long driveway, I like to look over my shoulder to ensure the garage door actually closes. Periodically, my Tesla gets out of sync and I've driven off unknowingly leaving my garage wide open.

Reactions: Rad

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

I don't have one but have researched extensively and have several friends that have them. Just haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing yet. One other thing I liked about TW vs. the competition, one of their hubs or whatever they call them can support up to 3 doors vs. much of the competition requires a hub per door or only supports 2 doors. And I have a 3 door garage.

Sounds almost ideal. I take I there's no way to adjust the distance from the garage? While I have a pretty long driveway, I like to look over my shoulder to ensure the garage door actually closes. Periodically, my Tesla gets out of sync and I've driven off unknowingly leaving my garage wide open.
There are limits on it because of the GPS driven geofencing technology. It's only consistently so accurate across a number of different scenarios.

OP
OP
nc10

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
You can adjust some, longer, but not closer. I do get a notification when the door closes on my phone and watch. I get the notification at the same point every time so now that Iā€™m used to seeing it every time I think I would miss it. But I understand not quite the same as watching it close.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
That does look interesting, even without the Rivian. Might have to add one to replace the MyQ we currently have. I have been having issues with getting phantom opening messages during the night due to high winds shaking the door. I wonder if the Tailwind sensor setup would be better for that. It's not an issue when I'm home, but when I'm out of town I have to call a neighbor to make sure our door isn't open.

Sponsored

OP
OP
nc10

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if the Tailwind sensor setup would be better for that. It's not an issue when I'm home, but when I'm out of town I have to call a neighbor to make sure our door isn't open.
I expect so. The tailwind sensor looks like one of those two piece magnetic sensors used in alarm systems for windows and doors. Very different from the myQ sensor I had that was one piece stuck to the garage door.
But Iā€™d have not expected winds to impact either.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I expect so. The tailwind sensor looks like one of those two piece magnetic sensors used in alarm systems for windows and doors. Very different from the myQ sensor I had that was one piece stuck to the garage door.
But Iā€™d have not expected winds to impact either.
I wouldn't have expected it either, and maybe it is just coincidence, but those are the only times I have had any phantom open or closing messages. The MyQ Google Home and Google Assistant is also not great, so that is another reason to make the switch for me.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
Got this to avoid buying the Tesla Homelink. Ours works like crap. I got tired of fixing it and went back to using the clicker. Ymmv.

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Please Rivian, just add a garage door opener! This isn't adding an 18" drop display in the back seat for movies, it's just an RF with a button! This is like 100 year old rock solid technology that is in every single persons garage. I'm embarrassed to tell my friends I have an $80k truck that I need to have a $15 universal clicker stuck to the visor like we did in the 90's.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I bought a few years ago a MyQ embedded garage door opener and use the Homekit connection via MyQ and haven't had any issues with it in the 2 years we've used it. Granted I haven't used the MyQ app at all, it's been working for us without issue.

A friend of mine however went out and bought the MyQ adapter to enable his garage door opener and has had nothing but issues. Said that it will randomly just quit working and ended up having to put the MyQ adapter on a smart power switch so they could reboot it weekly when it would inevitably stop working.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Please Rivian, just add a garage door opener! This isn't adding an 18" drop display in the back seat for movies, it's just an RF with a button! This is like 100 year old rock solid technology that is in every single persons garage. I'm embarrassed to tell my friends I have an $80k truck that I need to have a $15 universal clicker stuck to the visor like we did in the 90's.
Just tell Alexa to open the damn door ?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Just tell Alexa to open the damn door ?
I wish it would be that easy for me! While I live in a populated area, I donā€™t have cell coverage within around .5 mi / 1KM of my house. I always lose phone calls as I approach my house and canā€™t use data or voice until Iā€™m on our Wi-Fi about 2 meters from our garage. I donā€™t think Alexa will work for me given this limitation and she may not appreciate the name-calling when she regains her connection and parses what I said when she was unresponsive. ?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I bought a few years ago a MyQ embedded garage door opener and use the Homekit connection via MyQ and haven't had any issues with it in the 2 years we've used it. Granted I haven't used the MyQ app at all, it's been working for us without issue.

A friend of mine however went out and bought the MyQ adapter to enable his garage door opener and has had nothing but issues. Said that it will randomly just quit working and ended up having to put the MyQ adapter on a smart power switch so they could reboot it weekly when it would inevitably stop working.
Have them check the Wi-Fi signal in the garage, I had issues until I put a hotspot in the garage, seems like 2 bars was not sufficient. Comes in handy for OTA updates for the car as well.

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
I can't forget that they had a garage door opener in their early owner's manual. There are two possibilities, they couldn't get units to install so cut it to ship more (how did that work out ;-)) or it's in the truck but software isn't ready. I still thing it's in the truck and software will light it up. It's probably the most obvious thing they are missing that could be software addressed, second maybe would be pre-warming the battery before charging.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I wish it would be that easy for me! While I live in a populated area, I donā€™t have cell coverage within around .5 mi / 1KM of my house. I always lose phone calls as I approach my house and canā€™t use data or voice until Iā€™m on our Wi-Fi about 2 meters from our garage. I donā€™t think Alexa will work for me given this limitation and she may not appreciate the name-calling when she regains her connection and parses what I said when she was unresponsive. ?
ā€œIā€™m afraid I canā€™t do that, Robā€

I can't forget that they had a garage door opener in their early owner's manual. There are two possibilities, they couldn't get units to install so cut it to ship more (how did that work out ;-)) or it's in the truck but software isn't ready. I still thing it's in the truck and software will light it up. It's probably the most obvious thing they are missing that could be software addressed, second maybe would be pre-warming the battery before charging.
ive read elsewhere here that Rivian has said itā€™s to be added later. So who knows. Could be all sorts of reasons.

Iā€™ll just keep using the regular garage door remote.
Sponsored

Last edited: