Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Rivian's VP of Software Engineering, Wassym Bensaid, is on Reddit responding to questions from folks regarding future software/vehicle updates. We've heard rumors on some of this stuff before, but nice to get a high level confirmation. Here are some of the highlights of the things that he states are already being worked on:
  • Dash cam utilizing the existing Gear guard cameras - coming this fall
  • Air vents constantly going to the wrong position is a known bug and they're working on it
  • Ability to switch between miles remaining and SoC coming this summer
  • Lots of changes to suspension auto-adjusting are in the works, including auto-leveling for camping etc
  • Web-browser and video apps for center screen are on the way
  • Camp mode coming this summer...will prevent the truck from reacting with lights etc. as you move around it
  • Several options being explored to take better advantage of the driver display real estate
  • Additional music apps are coming...but which specific apps aren't mentioned
  • ***He did not respond to any of the many people asking about CarPlay/AA
Lots of other things I didn't put above. Here's the link if you want to read through it: Reddit Link
Sponsored

Last edited:

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Thanks for sharing!

Full size screens may be coming in future updates!

Vampire drain is a known issue and is a major priority being worked on in several updates until it’s not noticeable

He did say the hardware is capable of CarPlay and Android Auto but wouldn’t commit to anything. Personally, I would like to see more 3rd party apps if I can’t have CarPlay

BuzzL8ghtYears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Nice...as long as they take care of that air vents bug, I'll be happy. It is the only annoying thing to occur every time I get in the truck and the vents are pointing a different direction.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Thanks for sharing!

Full size screens may be coming in future updates!

Vampire drain is a known issue and is a major priority being worked on in several updates until it’s not noticeable

He did say the hardware is capable of CarPlay and Android Auto but wouldn’t commit to anything. Personally, I would like to see more 3rd party apps if I can’t have CarPlay
Would LOVE to have a full Amazon Music app....i swear if Alexa says "Sorry, something went wrong" one more time.... :CWL:

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Happy to hear Dash Cam is coming soon.. it's a natural for a system like this.

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I really don't need android auto, just more music apps built in. Android auto is horrible for routing with EVs since it doesn't integrate automatic routing to charging.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I really don't need android auto, just more music apps built in. Android auto is horrible for routing with EVs since it doesn't integrate automatic routing to charging.
Since there seems to be significant evidence that Rivian is running on Android and making calls to Google Play Services, I'd personally be fine with adding a few apps in lieu of the entire AA experience. I'd like to have Google Maps/Waze as an option instead of the native maps and maybe a few media apps like Audible and Google Podcast.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Im surprised no one asked about driver+. I wonder what the future plans of that are. Would love to get the hands-free support that is advertised on the rivian website, as well as lane changes if possible with current hardware.

Also some of the basics from autopilot, like automatically setting cruise to speed limit + x threshold and remembering follow distance based on user profile

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Im surprised no one asked about driver+. I wonder what the future plans of that are. Would love to get the hands-free support that is advertised on the rivian website, as well as lane changes if possible with current hardware.
Give them time. There are enough rare but significant.... attempted deviations from the lane that I wouldn't make it hands free for now, despite thinking it is generally rock solid on the roads that it works.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Since there seems to be significant evidence that Rivian is running on Android and making calls to Google Play Services, I'd personally be fine with adding a few apps in lieu of the entire AA experience. I'd like to have Google Maps/Waze as an option instead of the native maps and maybe a few media apps like Audible and Google Podcast.
They are definitely running a version of Android Automotive. When you pair your Spotify account it says the request is coming from Spotify Android Automotive.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Not an app, but Audible is available through Alexa.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Rivian's VP of Software Engineering, Wassym Bensaid, is on Reddit responding to questions from folks regarding future software/vehicle updates. We've heard rumors on some of this stuff before, but nice to get a high level confirmation. Here are some of the highlights of the things that he states are already being worked on:
  • Dash cam utilizing the existing Gear guard cameras - coming this fall
  • Air vents constantly going to the wrong position is a known bug and they're working on it
  • Ability to switch between miles remaining and SoC coming this summer
  • Lots of changes to suspension auto-adjusting are in the works, including auto-leveling for camping etc
  • Web-browser and video apps for center screen are on the way
  • Camp mode coming this summer...will prevent the truck from reacting with lights etc. as you move around it
  • Several options being explored to take better advantage of the driver display real estate
  • Additional music apps are coming...but which specific apps aren't mentioned
  • ***He did not respond to any of the many people asking about CarPlay/AA
Lots of other things I didn't put above. Here's the link if you want to read through it: Reddit Link
I was impressed with the level of transparency he had with some of the issues they are still struggling with as well as his willingness to take feedback. The end of the chat was cool in that someone had a garage door issue and he offered to take the conversation offline (out of the thread) to try to help the user/owner through it. That was a thumbs up from me.

Stoked to watch these continue to evolve.