Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

"... drive on the flat and eat the tire..."
...and destroy the rim, and perhaps cause other damage.
Non of the above is worth someone's life. When you are on the side of I-95 or another major highway with distracted people flying by you at 70+ mph, tires, rims, fenders, SUVs all get very cheap very fast.
Sponsored

TheCaDean

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Rivian
Occupation
Asset Managment
Clubs

lol I agree - getting a flat is not Rivian's problem and not their responsibility to help you repair it. The last several vehicles I've owned did not come with a spare. Am I expected to blame the OEM if I get a flat on my motorcycle?
If you sell your product to be an "adventure cruiser" it better come with a spare. especially since the 21 's are "orphan" tires and difficult to match up. I garaged my Rivian and picked up a true adventure vehicle.. a Bronco badland..

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
If you sell your product to be an "adventure cruiser" it better come with a spare. especially since the 21 's are "orphan" tires and difficult to match up. I garaged my Rivian and picked up a true adventure vehicle.. a Bronco badland..
21s are road tires, not off-road. There’s nothing stopping anybody that goes off-road from buying a spare; there are plenty of Ram wheels available that would match the stock 20” size perfectly. Or even get a different tire and match the 21” size without a problem.

OP
OP

Fclmd

First Name
Fawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Kia Telluride
Clubs

Update:
Once my pucks arrived from Amazon, reinflated the tire and drove back to Discount tire.
Turns out it is a cut from something sharp in the tread, not a nail/screw hole they can plug.
No new tire available at any Discount Tire in our area. They did a temporary repair, and I drove it back home. Now waiting a week or whenever for them to get a tire in.
So: R1S Two weeks out of service so far because of flat tire.

Went out to the garage Sun am and found R1S with right front tire flat. Really flat.
Since the compressed spare was removed from my build and is not yet available in the gear shop, I have no spare.
I called roadside assistance and they said to have it Towed to a Discount Tire, and they could fix it or replace it.
They could arrange towing for $50 and $.35 per mile…

Discount Tire closed on Sunday.
Reinflated tire with garage compressor and drove it to Discount Tire on Monday. They do not have jack pucks for it, so they can’t help until they or I get Jack pucks.
So- ordered some.
Will take 2-3 days for them to arrive.

Very annoying- but what if I was out on the road somewhere?

When I learned to drive my father said never leave home without a good spare, a jack and a lug wrench.
Technically, I didn’t leave home, but…
Ugh!

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

I think that the sealant worked really well. In fact, while waiting at Discount Tire for the repair that didn't happen, I ordered a replacement on Amazon. When using it, you definitely have to have enough compressor pressure to compensate for the loss from the hole and the puncture has to be at or near the ground/tire contact since the sealant is gravity dependent. However, I'm ordering a spare when it is available. In my opionion, it offers much more peace of mind.
Sealant works well have the leaky spot on the ground not up in the air when you air up so fluid flows into leak. Plug kit and sidewall repair kit never hurts to carry as well. And ask when you are at service center if you can buy a full sized spare so you do not get stranded when off roading.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I got the spare with my truck. In my time of driving I've gotten two unrepairable flats. First time was on the freeway in a cavailer. The cause was me running the tires past the point of needing new ones because I was young and poor and didn't want to spend the money. Well changing a tire on the freeway during my 90 minute commute home from work one time and I suddenly found the money to change the tires.

Second time I hit a giant pot hole in downtown Milwaukee that not only destroyed the tire but the rim too. Not exactly common occurrences but I still wanted the full sized spare because I've never owned a truck without one. The theory behind it is you never know what you'll be doing when you get that flat. Maybe I have my trailer on, and I'm not going to want to be towing things on a tire with a patch kit.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Without the compact spare for the R1S (since you cannot even buy right now) does the R1S come standard with a sealant/inflation kit? I mean if nothing to repair a flat tire comes with it can that be legal? You can buy a vehicle that can knowingly strand you roadside? I've read about cars with run-flat tires (like BMWs) but pretty sure those articles mentioned some kind of roadside repair kit found in the trunk.

Gassious

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Mercedes Benz GL550
Clubs

Without the compact spare for the R1S (since you cannot even buy right now) does the R1S come standard with a sealant/inflation kit? I mean if nothing to repair a flat tire comes with it can that be legal? You can buy a vehicle that can knowingly strand you roadside? I've read about cars with run-flat tires (like BMWs) but pretty sure those articles mentioned some kind of roadside repair kit found in the trunk.
It comes with one of these which works surprising well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L247FMM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Rivianut

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Pilot
The obvious solution here is to buy both an R1S and an R1T. Then get one full size spare and keep it in the R1T 😁

Seriously though a full size spare that can be included in the rotation would be great to have. Otherwise, most cars today don't come with any spare. So it's either those tire repair kits or a tow if it can't hold air.
Lmao I’m literally dealing with this now. R1S took a nail through the sidewall. Using R1T kit on the R1S.
Bought tire from Rivian
Heading to discount tire for them to install it on wheel.
R1S is at home sitting on a mismatched R1T spare lol.

Lhhaus

First Name
LH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW x1, 530i
Went out to the garage Sun am and found R1S with right front tire flat. Really flat.
Since the compressed spare was removed from my build and is not yet available in the gear shop, I have no spare.
I called roadside assistance and they said to have it Towed to a Discount Tire, and they could fix it or replace it.
They could arrange towing for $50 and $.35 per mile…

Discount Tire closed on Sunday.
Reinflated tire with garage compressor and drove it to Discount Tire on Monday. They do not have jack pucks for it, so they can’t help until they or I get Jack pucks.
So- ordered some.
Will take 2-3 days for them to arrive.

Very annoying- but what if I was out on the road somewhere?

When I learned to drive my father said never leave home without a good spare, a jack and a lug wrench.
Technically, I didn’t leave home, but…
Ugh!

Sponsored

Lhhaus

First Name
LH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW x1, 530i
I got a flat - same issue - no spares available yet - had to pay $150 to tow it to Rivian center and leave for several days - fortunately it was reparable for another $120. I need that spare yesterday - same big concerns - what if I'm nowhere near a center??

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I got a flat - same issue - no spares available yet - had to pay $150 to tow it to Rivian center and leave for several days - fortunately it was reparable for another $120. I need that spare yesterday - same big concerns - what if I'm nowhere near a center??
Looks like we have the same truck. Do you have ocean coast interior? Looks that way from your profile pic. I have the dark interior.

Ozmt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 genesis gv70 sport prestige. 13 fiat pop, 22 R1
Occupation
Air traffic controller, retired
Discount doesn't need the pucks to change/repair the flat. It makes it a lot easier on them, but there are specific instructions on how to lift the vehicle without the pucks in the user manual.

Bottom of page 262
I went to 3 different discount tires on Las Vegas and none had the pucks, but I had my own. All 3 stores used the same floor Jacks and they were not tasll enough to get the rear tires off the ground. Yes, I followed the instructions for tire changes. I went to a big o tire store and they used my pucks and their lift to raise the whole thing at one time. So much for discount tire being the rivian recommended tire store

Andy96734

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX 90D 2016
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Nothing new for a Tesla (MX) owner. Always carry a safety seal plug kit on board. Used it 4 times the last 6 years. Plug, inflate 9at least with RVN compresssor is built in) and later assess if patch also needed or new tire time.
Safety Seal on Amazon, highly rated and long history of being good.
Sponsored