Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla X Plaid, 2004 s2000, Huracan Evo, +

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
So being that I'm all the way up north in NJ, can you come drive by just so I can see it in person?! Rivian didn't invite me to the NY event even though I have a LE ordered and am 20 minutes from the city.

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
How are you liking the sound quality? Any new OTA updates that you are aware of that have improved the vehicle so far? How are you finding the UI? any noticeable lag?

OP
OP
Iwantatesla

Iwantatesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How are you liking the sound quality? Any new OTA updates that you are aware of that have improved the vehicle so far? How are you finding the UI? any noticeable lag?
Sound quality is pretty good. I haven't gotten an update yet but I am sure there are plenty to come.
Lag when you are on 3d maps because it takes a second for the map to buffer/load. With that said I switched it to 2d map (which I prefer) and it works GREAT.

HimuraMOdo

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blue R1T Adventure+22" ; 14 Durango
Occupation
Engineer
Congrats!
Quick question, how do you project the Rivian logo on your driveway? :like:

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I promised my wife I wouldn’t join another forum… but what momma don’t see…

hello everyone.
Really appreciate you putting yourself through this for our benefit and welcome to the Forum. Here comes the punishment:

What is the deal with data connectivity?
Do you pay a monthly fee? How much? Gigs per month limit?
AT&T or you have a choice? Can you use it as hotspot?
Can you kill the connection completely so that R1T can not talk to the mothership? What breaks if you do?

Even though I can break the site with all of my questions, I stop here so you won’t end up in a divorce court on my account.

OP
OP
Iwantatesla

Iwantatesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Really appreciate you putting yourself through this for our benefit and welcome to the Forum. Here comes the punishment:

Can you kill the connection completely so that R1T can not talk to the mothership? What breaks if you do?

Even though I can break the site with all of my questions, I stop here so you won’t end up in a divorce court on my account.
I actually have the same questions.Nothing was mentioned on monthly fee. There is a hotspot option but I haven’t tried it yet.

pretty sure details are to follow on this.

Mr. Sparkle

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Civil Engineer
It sounds like a lot of people here want to get a Pacifica instead of an R1. I will have both. I am surprised there are no cup holders in 2nd row. It doesn't bode well for 3rd row...

I've had birds eye in all my minivans since 2013 and they all work very well. And I have seen nicer ones in Volvos and Audis. I do hope they add that OTA.
Glad to see some Pacifica Hybrid love here. In my case, the R1T will be its replacement and I have to say that I will be sorry to see it go. It's given me 95k trouble free miles over the last 4+ years. The Pacifica is designed for a very different use case than the R1, but it does what it's supposed to do very, very well. My 10 yo son is already grumbling about the pending loss of his back seat theater.:)

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I actually have the same questions.Nothing was mentioned on monthly fee. There is a hotspot option but I haven’t tried it yet.

pretty sure details are to follow on this.
Well, it's free for the first year, and then it's $550/year after that for the Membership which includes the data among other things. There has been no indication that you can piecemeal the data or anything else from the Membership separately. I would expect it to be unlimited data if there is only one plan/option. That alone would account for half of the Membership cost/value.

When others have asked the question about provider, the answer has been AT&T is the chosen provider with no option (I'm not sure many others offer a choice here either).

You definitely won't be able to kill all communication from the vehicle to Rivian, that's for sure. That would defeat the whole ethos of an electric vehicle with remote diagnostics and repair, and the feedback loop for constant vehicle/product improvement.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Well, it's free for the first year, and then it's $550/year after that for the Membership which includes the data among other things.
I must have missed this - where are you getting the $550/year figure from for the membership?

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I must have missed this - where are you getting the $550/year figure from for the membership?
I believe it was pulled as an estimate from the lifetime revenue potential listed in the S-1 filings before the IPO. To my knowledge, Rivian has not actually provided a statement confirming monthly or yearly cost.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I believe it was pulled as an estimate from the lifetime revenue potential listed in the S-1 filings before the IPO. To my knowledge, Rivian has not actually provided a statement confirming monthly or yearly cost.
Well, I guess it could change but it's highly unlikely if they just put it in the S1 for investors. The estimate part relies on what percentage of owners you think will elect for it, I don't think they estimated what the cost would be (because they are in control of setting it).

I'd say it's a 99.99% probability that something materially close to $550/year is the answer. It's also possible that they don't announce anything for 11 months because it doesn't apply to anyone until then.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Well, it's free for the first year, and then it's $550/year after that for the Membership which includes the data among other things. There has been no indication that you can piecemeal the data or anything else from the Membership separately. I would expect it to be unlimited data if there is only one plan/option. That alone would account for half of the Membership cost/value.

When others have asked the question about provider, the answer has been AT&T is the chosen provider with no option (I'm not sure many others offer a choice here either).

You definitely won't be able to kill all communication from the vehicle to Rivian, that's for sure. That would defeat the whole ethos of an electric vehicle with remote diagnostics and repair, and the feedback loop for constant vehicle/product improvement.
If I remember correctly, it also includes free charging for the first year? Really hope they delay the whole program until there are actual RAN network chargers, etc, in the wild before starting the 1 year free countdown.
Sponsored