First Name
Demetrius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1t
Occupation
Director
Well, after picking up my R1T in the Atlanta service center, we started our drive back to Nashville...until we got to about 5 miles away and that is when I was in the middle of an intersection turning and a "Critical Battery Issue" alert went off on the steering wheel screen. The vehicle immediately came to a stop and was subsequently stuck in park. I was unable to shift to neutral nor any other gear to move the R1T. We were stuck in the outside turn lane.

I ended up using SOS to call for police presence to control traffic. I also then had to dig through the app to find the roadside assistance, which was able to eventually connect me to the SC that I just left, then dispatch a technician (1 hour) .

The first technician was unable to get the laptop to connect via LTE, so they sent another tech with another laptop, which resulted in the same negative connectivity. I had performed about 5-6 software resets and another type of reset where I walked away from the vehicle about 50 feet away to avoid any of the keys, phone, or FOB to interfere in the reset. Nothing.

After about 30 more minutes, the two techs were able to hard unlock the brake system and push the R1T backward to the nearest gas-station to prepare for a tow trailer. The SC did seem to take it seriously, as my wife was able to get an uber back to the SC to relay the issue. She was able to take an Uber back to me, and the SC manager shortly followed in his own R1T. We attempted to cross load as much of my personal gear, car seat, and effects over to the manager's vehicle, but none of the gear tunnel nor tonneau, or tailgate would unlock, thus some of my stuff was stuck till they could bypass it. And I had one of my pistols in the center console, which locks with the vehicle, so I had to wait until that was unlocked as well.

While this was all going on, the SC was working on getting a tow and a rental vehicle for us. After about another hour, while back at the SC, they decided to let us use the manager's R1T as a loaner, and stated they would begin fixing the R1T on Monday and once complete, deliver it to me in Nashville. I am still waiting to hear what is actually wrong, but the critical battery error seemed to redline the whole truck.

I feel that the technicians and managers were doing their best and were respectful/picking up on our obvious disappointment. Moreover, I was a bit frustrated that I paid for a hotel the night prior to picking it up (5 hour drive) and invested well over 12 hours in breaking down, getting techs dispatched, getting a ride back to the SC, getting a loaner, and then driving a half fueled R1T back to TN.

Has anyone else had a critical battery issue? I also found it odd that I had almost 100 miles on my R1T prior to picking it up, as that seems high for a supposedly new car. Did they already have issues with it and had been driving it around in their pre-inspection?

Good thing I didn't waste more time doing a live review!

Rivian R1T R1S First 10 mins after delivery .... "Critical Battery Issue" IMG_7550

Rivian R1T R1S First 10 mins after delivery .... "Critical Battery Issue" IMG_7553

Rivian R1T R1S First 10 mins after delivery .... "Critical Battery Issue" IMG_7551

Rivian R1T R1S First 10 mins after delivery .... "Critical Battery Issue" IMG_7552
Sponsored

bigtex

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Silverado z71, 2008 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
IT Manager
Man that stinks, sorry to hear that. Mine had 42 miles on it, but they drove it to my home 30 miles away from the service center, so 15 miles on it before that. I'm at 3 weeks, 2500 miles and no issues.

Don't get too down. These are truly fantastic vehicles. Fingers crossed for you that you get it corrected and have a worry free experience from here on out.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Wow, that is terrible. Really wondering how service didn't pick that up before delivery.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

you should ask why there are so many miles on it. maybe 100 isnt a lot? seems like a lot. maybe it was one that had an issue before and they spent time trying to fix, test driving it?

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
you should ask why there are so many miles on it. maybe 100 isnt a lot? seems like a lot. maybe it was one that had an issue before and they spent time trying to fix, test driving it?
If you check the purchase agreement it says your car will be delivered with 100 miles on it...
I have asked them why so much, and they told me "Just in case we need to test/fix anything before delivery". Anyway, my car was delivered with 14 miles on it.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

If you check the purchase agreement it says your car will be delivered with 100 miles on it...
I have asked them why so much, and they told me "Just in case we need to test/fix anything before delivery". Anyway, my car was delivered with 14 miles on it.
Would anything above 100 miles be considered used you think?

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm not an expert in this specific thing. But I would assume the answer is NO :)

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Seems odd they put 100 miles on it, presumably without difficulty, but as soon as you get in, it breaks down.

I wonder if those 100 miles were a result of issues that were previously known and required repairs and testing before delivery.

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
Well, after picking up my R1T in the Atlanta service center, we started our drive back to Nashville...until we got to about 5 miles away and that is when I was in the middle of an intersection turning and a "Critical Battery Issue" alert went off on the steering wheel screen. The vehicle immediately came to a stop and was subsequently stuck in park. I was unable to shift to neutral nor any other gear to move the R1T. We were stuck in the outside turn lane.

I ended up using SOS to call for police presence to control traffic. I also then had to dig through the app to find the roadside assistance, which was able to eventually connect me to the SC that I just left, then dispatch a technician (1 hour) .

The first technician was unable to get the laptop to connect via LTE, so they sent another tech with another laptop, which resulted in the same negative connectivity. I had performed about 5-6 software resets and another type of reset where I walked away from the vehicle about 50 feet away to avoid any of the keys, phone, or FOB to interfere in the reset. Nothing.

After about 30 more minutes, the two techs were able to hard unlock the brake system and push the R1T backward to the nearest gas-station to prepare for a tow trailer. The SC did seem to take it seriously, as my wife was able to get an uber back to the SC to relay the issue. She was able to take an Uber back to me, and the SC manager shortly followed in his own R1T. We attempted to cross load as much of my personal gear, car seat, and effects over to the manager's vehicle, but none of the gear tunnel nor tonneau, or tailgate would unlock, thus some of my stuff was stuck till they could bypass it. And I had one of my pistols in the center console, which locks with the vehicle, so I had to wait until that was unlocked as well.

While this was all going on, the SC was working on getting a tow and a rental vehicle for us. After about another hour, while back at the SC, they decided to let us use the manager's R1T as a loaner, and stated they would begin fixing the R1T on Monday and once complete, deliver it to me in Nashville. I am still waiting to hear what is actually wrong, but the critical battery error seemed to redline the whole truck.

I feel that the technicians and managers were doing their best and were respectful/picking up on our obvious disappointment. Moreover, I was a bit frustrated that I paid for a hotel the night prior to picking it up (5 hour drive) and invested well over 12 hours in breaking down, getting techs dispatched, getting a ride back to the SC, getting a loaner, and then driving a half fueled R1T back to TN.

Has anyone else had a critical battery issue? I also found it odd that I had almost 100 miles on my R1T prior to picking it up, as that seems high for a supposedly new car. Did they already have issues with it and had been driving it around in their pre-inspection?

IMG_7550.jpeg

IMG_7553.jpeg

IMG_7551.jpeg

IMG_7552.jpeg
I can't say you had your truck longer than I did before it died. But it crapping out in the middle of traffic is very nerve racking. Definitely frantic couple of minutes trying to get a hold of the service team and trging to get out of the way. atleast you were right down the road and they let you take his truck home. I hope they get you sorted out sooner than I. Going on 4 and 1/2 weeks now

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Man, that’s brutal and definitely disappointing after all of the effort on your end.

My truck came with 8 miles on it but was towed via flatbed from Dallas to where I live in central TX.

Sponsored

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T

IMG_7550.jpeg

IMG_7553.jpeg

IMG_7551.jpeg

IMG_7552.jpeg
Sorry that sucks. That was my worst nightmare when getting mine. Hope they get you fixed up in a jiffy.

Did you notice how the techs hooked up to the truck? The picture looks like some sort of OBD to USB-C cable/adapter? Why the need for LTE? Or were they trying to connect to the truck "remotely" but that failed so had to break out the wired connections? Curious what they were doing behind the frunk with the multimeter too.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Sorry to hear. Please post an update with the root cause of the issue.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
As far as I know, as long as the car has never been sold/titled, it's not considered used. I got into a spirited discussion at an Infiniti dealer once when they tried to sell a car with something like 3,500 miles on it as "new" because it technically had never been purchased.

Jakeblanton

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
06 CTD 2500, 00 Escalde, 2013 Yukon Denali
Occupation
General Manager
That Sucks... Side note, Dealers drive cars as Demo(s) to show them off in nature and they give you a break on the original purchase price. But those days are pretty much gone. they can still sell it as a new car and sometimes you can stretch the warranty out pass norm if it was a demo. but back to the original issue, I know there have been issues with the low voltage 12V batteries not charging and bricking the truck. But you are one of the few that I have heard of having the "Critical battery " issue. The multimeter I assume is for them to test the batteries.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Seems odd they put 100 miles on it, presumably without difficulty, but as soon as you get in, it breaks down
Worst case they are dump…er…delivering to customers trucks with known issues to plump the numbers..
Sponsored