Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

After 3+ years, I just get frustrated with Rivian. Something as petty as this picture which shows nothing of IP, they found, found you, and ask to have it removed (SS)? But something important to me, Payload rating, something that is required by law, to this day, they still tell me 1,760 lbs for all R1T's which is factually incorrect. So yes, Rivian has much of their focus and attention in the wrong areas.
It's most likely a violation of their policy to take photos inside the plant. That never stopped me in other plants but I also didn't tend to share them because of the policy.
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

If Rivian asked for the photo to be taken down, it was probably against their policy for it to be taken or publicly released in the first place. This photo may not have shown anything odd, but there were multiple posts speculating/asking about the van that had a wrap. And this photo may not have shown anything new, but the next one may, and they are trying to stop that from happening. No different than anyone else.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

It's most likely a violation of their policy to take photos inside the plant. That never stopped me in other plants but I also didn't tend to share them because of the policy.
That's going to be a real bummer for whoever hacks your account and all they get is pictures from inside random manufacturing facilities.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That's going to be a real bummer for whoever hacks your account and all they get is pictures from inside random manufacturing facilities.
Some of them are pretty compromising. Here's a paint robot getting to know a car a little too well when the conveyor shuttle got stuck.
Rivian R1T R1S Factory production floor - recent look 1642691504641

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
most places I’ve worked generally have had policies prohibiting phones and cameras on the floor.

Could be anything really.
Yep, common policy. I've signed dozens of NDAs over the years that include a pictures/video policy. In addition to IP, there are a few lesser known reasons for banning photos. Here's what I have been told:

- Downstream NDA with suppliers. Example: PaintBot manufacturer wants to protect their IP, so Rivian signs an NDA with them which include no photos/videos without approval.

- Regulatory or insurance concerns. A photo might contain evidence of an OSHA, regulatory or insurance violation.

- Safety - "Look this way while I take your picture" as the punch press operator sticks his fingers into the press.

- Bad publicity/perception - Is it good for XYZ Pet Food manufacturer's marketing image to have pictures of bins of ingredients such as chicken heads, feet and viscera, and cow udders, spleens and stomachs circulating on the internet? I have done engineering work in pet food factories. I've even seen a production worker eat some after processing - in front of his manager?!? ? How about a picture of THAT circulating on the internet?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Some of them are pretty compromising. Here's a paint robot getting to know a car a little too well when the conveyor shuttle got stuck.
1642691504641.png
That'll buff out

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Did the photo violate Rivian policy? Sure.

Does that mean the admins have to (or should) take it down? Absolutely not, especially since there's nothing sensitive, proprietary, or inaccurate about it (unlike the "owner" review taken down earlier).

This board isn't bound by Rivian's policies and shouldn't act as if it is - unless they want to start feeding us information in return for doing them a favor.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Did the photo violate Rivian policy? Sure.

Does that mean the admins have to (or should) take it down? Absolutely not, especially since there's nothing sensitive, proprietary, or inaccurate about it (unlike the "owner" review taken down earlier).

This board isn't bound by Rivian's policies and shouldn't act as if it is - unless they want to start feeding us information in return for doing them a favor.
It’s professional courtesy.

Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
It’s professional courtesy.
Acquiescing to the request may be courteous but it's a bad editorial decision, especially if there's nothing offered in exchange and no good reason to do so.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Acquiescing to the request may be courteous but it's a bad editorial decision, especially if there's nothing offered in exchange and no good reason to do so.
Editorial decision? @AdamsFan1983 does not appear to be a news outlet ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Yep, common policy. I've signed dozens of NDAs over the years that include a pictures/video policy. In addition to IP, there are a few lesser known reasons for banning photos. Here's what I have been told:

- Downstream NDA with suppliers. Example: PaintBot manufacturer wants to protect their IP, so Rivian signs an NDA with them which include no photos/videos without approval.

- Regulatory or insurance concerns. A photo might contain evidence of an OSHA, regulatory or insurance violation.

- Safety - "Look this way while I take your picture" as the punch press operator sticks his fingers into the press.

- Bad publicity/perception - Is it good for XYZ Pet Food manufacturer's marketing image to have pictures of bins of ingredients such as chicken heads, feet and viscera, and cow udders, spleens and stomachs circulating on the internet? I have done engineering work in pet food factories. I've even seen a production worker eat some after processing - in front of his manager?!? ? How about a picture of THAT circulating on the internet?
So that's where Ozzy Osbourne began his career....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-day-ozzy-osbourne-bit-the-head-off-a-bat/?amp

Seriously, your points are well-taken. Every company exercises some level of control over every word of messaging. If a picture is worth a thousand words (and video is worth millions of them), a company has to control the images allowed outside. They can become paranoid and will search Heaven and Hell to find the Hellraiser who released any imaging, and throw them into the void once they catch them.

This is especially true when they're legally bound to not disclose some info, as you pointed out. Again, it sucks if someone outside gets skewered because they simply posted what they found in public, but if it's wrong for it to be out, some companies will jump on the crazy train and do all they can to reign the leaked images back in. And I'm not even an Ozzy fan. ?

OP
OP
AdamsFan1983

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
That ends up being a 40 page thread: "Which piece of information would you ask in return?"
Sponsored