Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My heat has been fine down to -20°, seems to be another of the common inconsistencies with different builds.
Sponsored

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

My heat has been fine down to -20°, seems to be another of the common inconsistencies with different builds.
what’s your vin range? I’m 4646– wondering if they changed something with the heat.

also, do you garage park? Maybe if the truck isn’t working so hard to warm up the battery it’s able to output more cabin heat?

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
what’s your vin range? I’m 4646– wondering if they changed something with the heat.

also, do you garage park? Maybe if the truck isn’t working so hard to warm up the battery it’s able to output more cabin heat?
117xx. I park outside and the truck is not plugged into a charger.

avigneault

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
It's probably worth considering that many of these errors might be due to a cold soaked/bad 12-volt battery. It's not uncommon to have a pigtail for plugging in a battery (or block) warmer in northern regions.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
It rose to 4 deg here yesterday morning and I needed to move my R1T in the driveway. It's been sitting unused for the last week because it was boxed in. As soon as I got in the compressor started pressurizing the system because I guess over the 7 day sit it's lost some pressure or it was just lower because last time it was run the temp was 45deg and now it was down to 1 deg overnight. Well, no error codes thrown.. but that compressor sure sounded very unhappy after cold soaking for a week outdoors and now having to run at 4 deg temps.

As one poster mentioned earlier.. maybe it's prudent to disable kneel mode and refrain from changing ride heights unnecessarily during super cold spells for the health of the compressor.

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
70 should have it blowing at full heat— the problem was that the heater isn’t able to get the air up to temp when the input air is so cold— even when I turned on the defroster (which sets the heat to high) the air coming out of the vents was 60 at most
my heat won’t come on below 72 no matter what the outside temp.

RivianNowPlz

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, Tesla
This is where I am going with my prior post. If OP had his climate set to 70.. I don’t see the real heat coming on as this is not a warm temperature. In fact 68-70 degrees is “conserve mode” for even household temps here in MN.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Known issue... just set it to 73 or higher till they address this issue.

RivianNowPlz

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, Tesla
Known issue... just set it to 73 or higher till they address this issue.
I don’t think it’s an addressable issue, I think it’s just common. My truck, Tesla, Subaru etc are all the same way in these extreme temperatures although I will say the Raptor does the best job of the stable in regulation, but it will still be about 5+ degrees cooler than 70 at a minimum when my temps are below 0 until the truck is well past operating and has been driven for 7-12 min.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I don’t think it’s an addressable issue, I think it’s just common. My truck, Tesla, Subaru etc are all the same way in these extreme temperatures although I will say the Raptor does the best job of the stable in regulation, but it will still be about 5+ degrees cooler than 70 at a minimum when my temps are below 0 until the truck is well past operating and has been driven for 7-12 min.
I think we're talking about two different things...

In many Rivians, even if it's 30, 40, 50 or 60 deg outside.. if you set your heat to 71deg it only blows cold air out of the vents. Once you set it at 72deg or above.. the icons change from blue snowflakes to red heat waves and you now feel hot air starting to come out of the vents.

Sponsored

neocyn

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All of them
Occupation
Nerd
I took the family to Lake Placid, NY this weekend. The trip was over 300 miles in freezing weather and -21 here the first night. Given the dearth of fast chargers, my vampire drain experience, and the high likelihood that it would be a multi-day cold soak, I opted to drive the family ICE SUV instead of my R1T.

I’ve been beating myself up over the decision, but with the efficiency numbers and issues detailed in this post I feel like I made the right call.

I hate driving anything other than my R1T, tho.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I took the family to Lake Placid, NY this weekend. The trip was over 300 miles in freezing weather and -21 here the first night. Given the dearth of fast chargers, my vampire drain experience, and the high likelihood that it would be a multi-day cold soak, I opted to drive the family ICE SUV instead of my R1T.

I’ve been beating myself up over the decision, but with the efficiency numbers and issues detailed in this post I feel like I made the right call.

I hate driving anything other than my R1T, tho.
Upstate NY was brutal Fri afternoon- Saturday... you made the right call putting your family's safety first.

Local weather stations in the Lake Placid area put the actual temperature (not the wind chill temp) at -31F Sat morning 8am. The Rivian would not be happy at those temps!

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/ny/saranac-lake/KSLK/date/2023-2-4

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Was this in recirculate or fresh air mode? Did you try changing the fan speed? Not that you should worry about it. Auto mode on these isn't great.
Good point (and an obvious one). I was focused on towing on snowy/icy roads and didn't horse around with fresh or recirculate. Plus, we were warm in our clothing. I'm going back up this week and will take the time to compare the two.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
You northern people are a hardy bunch. It drops below 35 here and it’s like the apocalypse has befallen civilization, while the news is issuing warnings to protect yourself from extreme temperatures.

I grew up in those conditions, but age has softened me.

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
I think we're talking about two different things...

In many Rivians, even if it's 30, 40, 50 or 60 deg outside.. if you set your heat to 71deg it only blows cold air out of the vents. Once you set it at 72deg or above.. the icons change from blue snowflakes to red heat waves and you now feel hot air starting to come out of the vents.
My magic number is 70, but I see the same behavior. No problem keeping the cabin comfortable once I figured that out.
Sponsored